Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Middle-earth Music Festival - who should be playing?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 17 2013, 4:43pm

Post #51 of 82 (234 views)
Shortcut
But I'd heard that Thorin... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'd heard that Thorin was going to be "feat." In Durin Durin's song Wild Boys? I think a few TORN regulars would buy tickets...

Later he's changing into Denim to front a power-Ballard outfit (would a denim-clad Thorin singing power ballads appeal?). Confusing rumours about this band: is it the dwarven Bombur-Jovi, or the elvish (quenya) name Bonjowë? Which seems more likely? Unfortunately I'm not much of a linguist (I wave my staff around a lot and point; it usually works).

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 17 2013, 4:56pm

Post #52 of 82 (226 views)
Shortcut
Pink Flói? [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent! I was wondering whether we could book them! I guess the dwarven festival goers will enjoy "Money" , and Dark side of the Rhûn always seems to go down well.

I think Elaen32 has a surprising rumour about Pink Flói's special guest....

Another great set of rumours Darkstone Smile
Hmm... Rumours.... Has anyone heard whether Mirkwood Mac are coming?

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 17 2013, 5:11pm

Post #53 of 82 (216 views)
Shortcut
Sting will sing "Elbereth You Take", I expect? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

May 17 2013, 5:53pm

Post #54 of 82 (199 views)
Shortcut
No, but Mirkwood Flet is. / [In reply to] Can't Post

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

CuriousG
Valinor

May 17 2013, 6:26pm

Post #55 of 82 (190 views)
Shortcut
Those are all terrifc, Riven! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 17 2013, 7:13pm

Post #56 of 82 (194 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

This festival sounds fantastic! Packing my folding chair, sunscreen, and Neekerbreeker repellent now...Wink

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

elaen32
Gondor

May 17 2013, 8:25pm

Post #57 of 82 (186 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes... Pink Floi [In reply to] Can't Post

They are singing a tribute to Earendil and his silmaril "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"

And Smaug may be persuaded to sing "Draconian Rhapsody" (as per my thread about 5 pages back)

Bard is doing a set of folk songs, including "Stuff The Tragic Dragon" (Lived Near To Me, And frolicked in the Lake Town Mist, In a Land Called Middle E!")

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Brethil
Half-elven

May 17 2013, 8:26pm

Post #58 of 82 (201 views)
Shortcut
A Thorin tribute song anyone....? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But I'd heard that Thorin was going to be "feat." In Durin Durin's song Wild Boys? I think a few TORN regulars would buy tickets...
Later he's changing into Denim to front a power-Ballard outfit (would a denim-clad Thorin singing power ballads appeal?).
Oh. Um. Wow. Yes. Confusing rumours about this band: is it the dwarven Bombur-Jovi, or the elvish (quenya) name Bonjowë? Which seems more likely? Unfortunately I'm not much of a linguist (I wave my staff around a lot and point; it usually works). Bwaahaa!!! Bonjowe for me every time, F-C!!!!!! (heehee!)

Could quite nicely see a ME version of "Black Velvet...." but I am no lyricist - perhaps one of our talented TORNsibs can author us a song (and you know who you are!) Cool

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 17 2013, 8:46pm

Post #59 of 82 (190 views)
Shortcut
After which... [In reply to] Can't Post

After which the only possible encore would be

Lúthien in the sky with diamonds

After which Muse will play Starlight (pleases the elves) and the Supermassive Black Trolls.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 17 2013, 8:53pm

Post #60 of 82 (165 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget the wellies and toilet rolls...// [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 17 2013, 9:01pm

Post #61 of 82 (188 views)
Shortcut
Black Velvet?- oh: Anduin the Great in the middle of a dry spell...etc.?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

May 17 2013, 9:55pm

Post #62 of 82 (171 views)
Shortcut
WOW that really works!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
After which the only possible encore would be ....

Lúthien in the sky with diamonds - that is awesome!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

elaen32
Gondor

May 18 2013, 12:09pm

Post #63 of 82 (174 views)
Shortcut
There was some tension when deciding the line up [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil, as part of his Bowie tribute, wanted to sing "Ashes to Ashes" and "Heroes", but this was deemed tactless and hypocritical in the extreme by the people of Lake Town, Dale and the dwarves of Erebor. He therefore had to make do with singing "Fashion" (Turn to the left! Turn to the right!) as he paraded along the stage

Gandalf plugged the gap by singing the old Beatles number "Fool (of a Took) On The Hill"

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 18 2013, 1:10pm

Post #64 of 82 (174 views)
Shortcut
Black velvet, dwarven style [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin is a bit worried that a song about "black velvet" will confuse the dwarven part of the audience, who will think it is about beer, or about non-protective clothing (and therefore a bit girly). So a few lyric changes are proposed the better to suit an industrious metalworking people:

Lonely Mountain, in the middle of a dry spell,
Bellows pumpin' , forge temperature is high,
Metalworking, with my baby by my shoulder,
Making armour, while the sun sinks in the sky.

That dwarf could work, knew how to build, everything
Always wanting more, she'd leave you longing for

Polished mithril, in that young dwarf's smile
Polished mithril, in that old dwarven style
A fine mail corselet that will hang down to her knee
Polished mithril, if you please

Etc.

Further verses of love, loss and metal tempering...
It'll have them in floods.

I'm imagining Thorin on fretless bass, vocals and coolness, while Kili or Fili pick up resonator guitar duties. But an unaccompanied bass voices chorus might go well too...

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 18 2013, 1:19pm

Post #65 of 82 (145 views)
Shortcut
Barry Manwëlow? Nooooooo! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 18 2013, 1:47pm

Post #66 of 82 (159 views)
Shortcut
Meanwhile the World Music pavillion [In reply to] Can't Post

Meanwhile the World Music pavillion has confirmed Ghân-buri-Ghân and the Drummers of Drúadan. Hopefully they've understood the concept of a western concert performance of limited duration: in their forest home, the drumming would never stop. This was due to a superstition that a terrible calamity too awful to mention would strike the world if the drumming ever stopped. (Traditionally inly the chief shaman knew what awful disaster would occur -if the drumming ever stopped it would be time for a double bass solo.)

You will recall that this myth was inadvertently busted by Aragorn, towards the end of ROTK. Since then there have been many changes in the musical culture of Drúadan: its all Nu Jungle down there, I hear.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 18 2013, 2:16pm

Post #67 of 82 (169 views)
Shortcut
**applause** [In reply to] Can't Post

This is *great* Furuncurunir!!!! If I sang in the shower, I would sing it! (Maybe I will just hum it instead!) Cool Knew you would come up with a winner!

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 18 2013, 4:23pm

Post #68 of 82 (156 views)
Shortcut
Is it just me, or does Iron Maiden begin to sound like a dwarven girl band?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

May 18 2013, 5:24pm

Post #69 of 82 (142 views)
Shortcut
Iron Maiden as a Dwarf-girl band...// [In reply to] Can't Post

How can we tell, between the beards and the hoods? Cool I suppose we can watch for high heeled Dwarven boots, that might tip us off!

elaen32
Gondor

May 18 2013, 6:22pm

Post #70 of 82 (146 views)
Shortcut
Iron Hills Maiden perhaps? [In reply to] Can't Post

singing "Run To The Hills" (the second line I think is "Run for your lives" which is rather appropriate IMO!)

dik-dik
Lorien

May 19 2013, 8:09am

Post #71 of 82 (135 views)
Shortcut
Oh I would absolutely love to see the Fëanorians- [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't think I'll go see Fëanor & Sons this year by noWizardme - Really talented bunch, but I wish they would do less swearing...

... I am sure there would be more than one song for them that would make the audience shed a tear or two. Let me see...
- Feanor taking his Vows, thanking his concourse, and sharing his experience of 'no pleasure cruise' to Middle-earth in "We Are the Champions", aka his famous Speech rendered in song...
- ... and how about Nerdanel's confession of why she fell for Feanor in "He's a Rebel"?

I would also be looking forward to Melkor's epic take on "The Music of the Night" myself. Cool

- And then there's the Falmarin band Alqua and their smash hit "We Belong to the Sea"...
- ... and Vannyo Elemmíre's soulful wordless lament for the Trees - "Once Upon a Time in the West"...
- and a special guest performance of "My Life Would Suck Without You" by She.Lob
- or the Deep Blue Wizards' take on why the order of the Istari didn't work in the end ("the world has come between us!") in "Breakfast at Mithrandir's"...
- ... not to mention Shagirat's lively marching song of the Mordor orcs - "Snaga Snaga (This Time for Isenmouthe)".
- this block could conclude with Manwë's personal favourite - "Wind of Change".

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

elaen32
Gondor

May 19 2013, 8:15am

Post #72 of 82 (178 views)
Shortcut
Great stuff dik-dik! [In reply to] Can't Post

I particularly like Feanor singing "We are the champions, my friends, And we'll keep on fighting till the end!" Very appropriate!Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

May 19 2013, 12:31pm

Post #73 of 82 (121 views)
Shortcut
Love this one!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

- Feanor taking his Vows, thanking his concourse, and sharing his experience of 'no pleasure cruise' to Middle-earth in "We Are the Champions", aka his famous Speech rendered in song...

That's awesome DikDik!

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 19 2013, 12:54pm

Post #74 of 82 (121 views)
Shortcut
Somebody, probably Denethor, should sing El Gondor Passa (If I Could) [In reply to] Can't Post

Somebody, probably Denethor, should sing El Gondor Passa (If I Could) - with a bass beat from Grond banging on the gates.

Picking up that Fredeager Mercury theme: is Éowyn going to sing "Killer Queen"?
And I expect still more tussles over Bowë covers, with Fëanor wanting to do "Rebel Rebel", and Eärendil wanting to do Starman.

dik-dik
Lorien

May 19 2013, 1:15pm

Post #75 of 82 (120 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Brethil and Elaen! Some more random ideas.. [In reply to] Can't Post

- 'Forever Young' by Ainuville - leading the Númenorean charts until the succession of Ar-Adunakhor.

- 'Hit Me Baby One More Time', performed by the blonde Rohirric diva Bring Me Spears -also known as Dernhelm- and dedicated to a certain (st)ranger...

- also featuring a commemorative video of Aredhel Frankly discussing dysfunctional relationships in 'I Will Survive' (pity she didn't!)

And a double tribute to The Hobbit...

- "Ruddy Wednesday" by the popular hobbit band The Rolling Scones, composed in loving memory of the Dwarven visit to Bag End

- "Bunny Sled Race" by Queer (Lodgings), a tribute to the Brown Wizard's unbeatable battle tactics.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.