Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Sunflower
Valinor

May 18 2013, 5:10am

Post #26 of 34 (99 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, the Welsh singers! [In reply to] Can't Post

To film historians and Oscar buffs, this film is forever the one that beat Citizen Kane for the Best Picture Oscar and by that measure, the film at first blush appears to be a disappointment; the problem is, it's like comparing Mt Fuji or Mount Rainier to Mt Everest. Both are beautiful but unevenly matched....and as usual, Oscar chooses what is less radical or genius. that said, if it were any other year, HGWMV would be hailed by film historians as the brilliant, powerful, gorgeous and haunting classic that it is. the novel is powerful enough, pure music, but the film is lyrical brilliance as well. Didn't you think of Tolkien during the opening montage of the destruction of the valley? And the story of the boy's courage and struggle to survive, and the depiction of a communal way of life that for all its harshness and danger, had a kind of poignant and profound beauty as well. The people were a true community that struggled, rejoiced, suffered and died together. Like the resourceful Okies in The Grapes of Wrath, the builders of the "worlds" (read Chapter 17 of that novel to see what I mean; could any of us do this today?) this was whoo they reminded me of.

And the singers! the first time I saw the film is sent chills up and down my spine. I thought they were Welsh extras and the singing was done professionally in a studio and then dubbed in. But no, the singers were filmed marching right on location singing like that! And back then they had no problem finding a Welsh choir! (It made me think of John Rhys_Davies, who as we know is a Welsh speaker, lamenting about the eventual extinction of the spoken language if nothing is done.) Oh to be on the set hearing that powerful choir!
If you didn't watch it on DVD, get it and listen to the Directors Commentary. Riveting stuff.

Sunflower
Valinor

May 18 2013, 5:23am

Post #27 of 34 (110 views)
Shortcut
Really great (non-spoiler) [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved Star Trek a lot better than I thought I would. Just saw it tonight. the whole cast was brilliant, they've really settled into their parts,and there was some great dialogue (my favorite line, spoken by Kirk: "What would that be like?" Won't expand on this as I don't want to spoil the scene, but I'm sure you remember this as it got a big laugh from the audience. You know the scene I mean?) the story was a great spin on an old Trek classic, though Benedict's take on the character was...well, he looked so much different than the old actor! And who can forget the original actor? *sigh*

Won't expand further to avoid spoilers but even more so than the first film, I heartily recommend this to everyone, it's so good that it would make newcomers fall in love with ST. JJ Abrams has really stepped up his game and given me great hopes for his Star Wars foray. AND THANK GOD< ILUVATAR AND ALL THE VALAR, HE HAS ALMOST GIVEN UP THE SHAKY-CAM! I AM SHOCKED!
Though I still think the pace moves a little too fast in some places--this film slows down a lot more to let the viewers appreciate good dialogue and character, it feels wonderfully retro in some places, unlike the first one.

Kimi, Gramma, Bbor, I would love to say more but am afraid of spoiling people who want to see it but haven't yet! I'm going to see it again, which is shocking for me in itself, it was *that* good.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on May 18 2013, 5:31am)

bborchar
Rohan

May 18 2013, 3:56pm

Post #28 of 34 (97 views)
Shortcut
I've already seen it twice now! [In reply to] Can't Post

And that IS shocking for me- I have two kids, it's rare enough I get out to see ANY movie at all, lol. I won't give out any spoilers, but was I the only one who cried at a particular scene? It just killed me.

Old Toby
Gondor

May 18 2013, 5:22pm

Post #29 of 34 (94 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek Into Darkness [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! I saw it in IMAX 3D last night and it was incredibly exciting! Not, I think, nearly as good as the first film because it was so action-oriented on the whole. But all the returning cast members were great, and I particularly enjoyed Simon Pegg's Scotty. However I was waiting above all to see Benedict, who I've adored since watching his Sherlock series (and his Stephen Hawking...and his Frankenstein), and he didn't disappoint. I love the comments by one reviewer who said of him: "It is easy to see why Cumberbatch has developed a dedicated following from his work as the title character on the British series "Sherlock." He's a walking spectacle. If I was an actor with an ego, I would not want to share screen time with this man. Unless you're there to be comic relief, Cumberbatch is going to make you look like a dinner theater actor." And according to JJ Abrams, "He is literally one of the best actors I have ever seen."

I thought some things in the story didn't hold up to careful scrutiny (but to be fair, I'm going to see it again), and those who know the original version on which this was based will either like the references as nods to the original or dislike them as cheap shots that shouldn't have been re-hashed, but all in all it's quite an exciting and visually fantastic ride. And in IMAX 3D it is quite breathtaking.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on May 18 2013, 5:23pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 18 2013, 11:02pm

Post #30 of 34 (89 views)
Shortcut
I may see 'Star Trek Into Darkness' this weekend... [In reply to] Can't Post

Although if I do then my wife wants to see Iron Man 3 again, instead, while I do.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Sunflower
Valinor

May 19 2013, 4:02am

Post #31 of 34 (85 views)
Shortcut
At some point... [In reply to] Can't Post

the gloves will have to come off and we have to say what old ST story this film explores ( sets itself up as a alternative universe prequel to?) It's the biggest open secret in the world at this point...when won't it be a spoiler? I mean, it seems even corny to avoid saying the name of Benedict's character. I'd read some articles on the filming from last yr but didn't think Abrams would really go that far..he must have known it would be controversial.

I expect that the scene that made Bbor cry was the one towards the end of the film involving Kirk doing something very heroic, as the Enterprise plunged towards Earth? What was weird was the total rehash of dialogue. That was completely unecessary..the one one glaring weak point in an otherwise strong film. At that point I couldn't recall if this was supposed to be the same moment in the "flipped reality." or another reality altogether. B/c Spock was in contact briefly with his older self (and I thought Nimoy had retired with the last film? which was fitting...why did we need to see him here?)

Then again I still don't get what the timeframe is for this " alternative reality" from the last film, either...not being a Trekker, it's all old hat to you folks I'm sure:)

Old Toby
Gondor

May 19 2013, 5:24am

Post #32 of 34 (78 views)
Shortcut
Now that I've seen it a second time today [In reply to] Can't Post

this time in regular 2D, I like it even better the second time through. Some of the things I didn't put together the first time due to how quickly events were happening on screen came together a lot clearer for me. Not that most people would have the same problem I have following some things..."age, it seems, is catching up with me." I have to say, having seen it last night in IMAX 3D, which Wow'd me, and then again today in 2D, I don't think the 3D version is that much better than the regular 2D one. I had a completely different opinion when watching The Hobbit in the HFR, which I found far superior in every way. But in any case, this movie needs to be seen on the Big Screen for sure!

I would think that by next weekend things would be out in the open, Sunflower. Maybe even by now? And as you said, it's been all over the internet for quite some time now anyways. And as I said before, some of the old Trekkies might find some of the familiar references little gems to enjoy, while some might find them irritations that should have been avoided. I chose to enjoy them, even though I found, in this instance, the original much more moving than the same scene here. But I think that is because in the original, I didn't see it coming. There are a LOT of people who have never seen the original series nor the early movies, and so are completely unfamiliar with these things and events. I think revising them in this new setting both fitting and well done, evoking the same emotions that were in the original without slavishly following it.

**SPOILER**

But I'm still trying to figure out how Spock managed to contact his older self in this. And I'm not sure what relevance his conversation had in the storyline of the film.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on May 19 2013, 5:27am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

May 19 2013, 5:43am

Post #33 of 34 (92 views)
Shortcut
A different reaction... [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally loved the mirroring of the previous dialogue. I love the notion that, even in this different timeline, Kirk and Spock were destined to have this moment - albeit on different sides of the glass. It was interesting seeing how each of their reactions were, and how it in turn affected their characters.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

bborchar
Rohan

May 19 2013, 2:45pm

Post #34 of 34 (85 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek SPOILERS [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, DON'T READ if you don't want to know, because I'm writing stuff about the plot below.

---------------

Okay, now, spoiler-zone. I appreciated the way they echoed Spock's death by switching the characters. It's like, even in an alternate universe, there's a "through the looking glass" effect, where some things are destined to happen, although maybe not the same way. I even knew it was coming because I had accidentally run across spoilers, I even knew the resolution, but still, watching it, the acting of the scene was done really well. When Kirk said he was scared, I lost it, only to cry more when I saw Spock cry. And I will argue with anyone that claims that bringing Kirk back like that made less sense than how Spock came back. I personally found the Old Spock contact clever- if you had the opportunity in a situation like that to ask yourself what happened, wouldn't you? It's cheating, but he had not assurance that the older Spock would know Khan or tell him anything about him. I don't think there is a timeframe anymore, though- everything was messed up, and now anything can happen. However, Khan was out there, and it makes sense that some in the Federation would find him if they were being more vigilant in protecting themselves. My only real issue with the movie is that their transporter suck, lol.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.