Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why didn't they state in the credits The Movie was partly based/'inspired' by addtional material taken from LOTR and its appendices?

malickfan
Rohan

May 17 2013, 6:09pm

Views: 843
Shortcut
Why didn't they state in the credits The Movie was partly based/'inspired' by addtional material taken from LOTR and its appendices? Can't Post

Correct me if I'm wrong (I've only seen the film twice so I quite possibly am!) but I can't remember AUJ crediting LOTR as an addtional point of reference, its not particularly important but with all the time Pj and Co spent banging on about the '125' pages of appendices you would have thought they'd have the time/decency to credit it in the film-heck some of the dialogue seemed to be lifted directly from Fellowship (and UFT...), personally I think it was a little bit of a stretch to call the Film just The Hobbit, and given that a large number of people will be introduced to The book through the film, I would have preffered if they explained in The credits that the film was not a pure adaption of the book (on another forum one poster claimed his nephew read the book after seeing the film and was annoyed that it din't go into more detail about Azog and The White Council...).

Lets be honest alot of people skip the appendices anyway when they read LOTR,given the liberties the film took with the material, it would have been nice to have a pointer in the right direction for new readers...

Very few of my friends have read anything by Tolkien (That's another story...), and of those who have its mainly been The Hobbit- I wasn't surprised to find out, but rather annoyed that several were under the impression PJ improved the story by 'inventing' backstory for The Dwarves and bringing in old favourites from LOTR-it was infact only after I pointed out the appendices that they were aware the rights/and/or material actually existed! (Unlike myself they weren't eaglry follwing every news story related to The Hobbit).

Thoughts?

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

Subject User Time
Why didn't they state in the credits The Movie was partly based/'inspired' by addtional material taken from LOTR and its appendices? malickfan Send a private message to malickfan May 17 2013, 6:09pm
    Short answer... Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone May 17 2013, 6:45pm
        Fair enough I guess that makes sense... malickfan Send a private message to malickfan May 17 2013, 7:11pm
            er? jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn May 17 2013, 7:19pm
                Even Cate Blanchett describes the movies as "The Hobbit...and something else" Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel May 17 2013, 9:56pm
                    interesting interviews Dwarvenfury Send a private message to Dwarvenfury May 18 2013, 1:43am
                        Tolkien rewrote a couple chapters Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 May 18 2013, 2:13am
                            well that's curious. Dwarvenfury Send a private message to Dwarvenfury May 18 2013, 2:50am
                            The 2 Chapters from the 1960's rewrite is defintitely worth reading (The History of The Hobbit is more than equal to the HOME)... malickfan Send a private message to malickfan May 18 2013, 7:28pm
                    The sad part is... Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 May 18 2013, 2:01am
                        I swear just as much of the additional materil was actually taken from sources other than the appendices. malickfan Send a private message to malickfan May 18 2013, 7:57pm
                            Minor corrections Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai May 18 2013, 8:30pm
                            And major correction DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale May 19 2013, 6:34am
                                Bolg Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff May 19 2013, 8:08am
                                Yes but Compare that to the version in Peoples: malickfan Send a private message to malickfan May 20 2013, 8:39am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.