Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BoFA general tactics

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 16 2013, 6:05pm

Post #1 of 17 (824 views)
Shortcut
BoFA general tactics Can't Post

Does the alliance charge at the enemy or cooly await to absorb the enemy charge? Or do the Elves
maintain their position and brace for the enemy penetration while the Dwarves charge, or vice versa? Will the armies
maintain their integrity as disparate units under their own banners or merge to a random assortment of 'good guys'?
How far will the armies be pressed before a momentum shift?

Darkstone
Immortal

May 16 2013, 6:24pm

Post #2 of 17 (428 views)
Shortcut
Here [In reply to] Can't Post

http://larsen-family.us/~1066/5armies.html

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 16 2013, 6:29pm

Post #3 of 17 (376 views)
Shortcut
Also Karen Wynn Fonstad's Atlas of MiddleEarth [In reply to] Can't Post

page 112 has the Description
page 113 has the Diagram!

One of Bomby's favorite Books

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 16 2013, 9:17pm

Post #4 of 17 (287 views)
Shortcut
It will be [In reply to] Can't Post

just like the Battle of Pelennor Fields but without the Scrubbing Bubbles.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Darkstone
Immortal

May 16 2013, 9:22pm

Post #5 of 17 (259 views)
Shortcut
Though it will have a charmin' bear. / [In reply to] Can't Post

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Kaede
Rivendell

May 16 2013, 10:20pm

Post #6 of 17 (249 views)
Shortcut
Sans mumakil... [In reply to] Can't Post

Should be a mumakil-free zone as well.Wink

Kimtc
Rohan

May 16 2013, 11:10pm

Post #7 of 17 (259 views)
Shortcut
Dain on boar! [In reply to] Can't Post

All the rest is just white noise to me. Once I see an insane warrior dwarf on a giant pig, they could be dancing the Nutcracker for all I care.

Lio
Lorien

May 17 2013, 12:07am

Post #8 of 17 (224 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I don't know! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Beorn dancing the Nutcracker (in bear form, of course!) would give Dain on a boar a run for his money. Laugh

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Kimtc
Rohan

May 17 2013, 1:21am

Post #9 of 17 (217 views)
Shortcut
One thing, though, is the duality of BoFA... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not unlike Pelennor Fields--on the one hand, you have Legolas and Gimli running around bickering about who killed more orcs; on the other you have the death of Theoden. PJ will need to thread that needle even more carefully here, to satisfy the need for a cinematic battle royale, with crazy-wild dwarf killing machines, a giant man-bear on a rampage, and orcs, orcs, orcs (plus eagles, always eagles), right alongside almost unimaginable (for us!) sadness. As one who foresees myself reliving "Terms of Endearment" (tell me you didn't cry), I prefer to focus on the fighting pig. Dancing bear optional.

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 17 2013, 7:18am

Post #10 of 17 (186 views)
Shortcut
warpig... [In reply to] Can't Post

The immediate imagery is intriguing, but does Dain really
need to arrive and fight on a pig? Thranduil on a moose, Radgast
on a bunny sled, Sebastian on drugs...all convincing and potentially
logical, but the pig just upsets the dramatic balance of the narrative.
So the battle is about who has the coolest mount? I love the idea of
crazy dwarf on a warpig, but it's almost too goofy for the scenes involving Dain.
I think this pig rumor could be a diversion...

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 17 2013, 7:53am

Post #11 of 17 (158 views)
Shortcut
Winnie the Pooh [In reply to] Can't Post

Comes charging into the rear ... looking for his honey pot Bolg stole and its stuck to Thorin who's drowning in it.
Pooh hustles them off to safety and comes bacl looking for Bolg ... it's payback time!

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Angharad73
Rohan

May 17 2013, 7:55am

Post #12 of 17 (166 views)
Shortcut
It sounds to me like... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they tried to set a trap - get the goblins into the valley, then attack them from both sides. Not a bad idea. Also, choosing the terrain where to fight and letting the enemy come to you, often works out well, if you can choose an advantageous position (personally, I favour slopes - have spent too much time studying Napoleonic warfare - I'll form them all up in squares for incoming Warg cavalry...). Problem for the Dwarves, Elves and Men here, though, was that they didn't think to expect an attack on their rear... At least that's what I get from the description in the book....

But still, if you have war-pigs, a bear (dancing or otherwise) and an Eagle air force at your disposal, that's not a bad startTongue Is there going to be Elk cavalry, though?

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 17 2013, 8:08am

Post #13 of 17 (151 views)
Shortcut
Outnumbered [In reply to] Can't Post

Couldnt meet them to to toe, so they were forced to fight defensively from the highground. If they had tried to chances are they would have been pressed back, cornered, and crushed. This way they could employ their bows from cover and shoot into the flanks of the goblin army.

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 18 2013, 9:55pm

Post #14 of 17 (87 views)
Shortcut
And don't forget the bats [spoiler below] [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not unlike Pelennor Fields--on the one hand, you have Legolas and Gimli running around bickering about who killed more orcs; on the other you have the death of Theoden. PJ will need to thread that needle even more carefully here, to satisfy the need for a cinematic battle royale, with crazy-wild dwarf killing machines, a giant man-bear on a rampage, and orcs, orcs, orcs (plus eagles, always eagles), right alongside almost unimaginable (for us!) sadness. As one who foresees myself reliving "Terms of Endearment" (tell me you didn't cry), I prefer to focus on the fighting pig. Dancing bear optional.

And it will probably be raining. The big question for me is will Bilbo fight in this battle? In the book he takes his stand with Thranduil but gets knocked out pretty early in the game. PJ might decide to heighten the tension by having Bilbo try to get to Thorin to save him again and fail this time. Perhaps he fights along side Fili and Kili until the inevitable happens. I have purchased stock in Kleenex for just such an eventuality.

Kimtc
Rohan

May 20 2013, 12:01am

Post #15 of 17 (43 views)
Shortcut
Of course it will be raining! [In reply to] Can't Post

That makes it more spectacular/horrible. I suspect Bilbo will be in the battle, and having Thorin save him would be very circular indeed.

cats16
Valinor

May 20 2013, 12:26am

Post #16 of 17 (41 views)
Shortcut
Snow is also a possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

We've already seen snow falling in Laketown in the sneak peek when the dwarves arrive. It's winter in the story, and in New Zealand now (where BoFA starts filming from now on), so it's definitely a possibility. And as someone has said in a past thread, we've seen just about every other weather scenario in PJ's ME except snow/wintery conditions. I think it would be an incredible thing to see, having so many soldiers on a cold, white battlefield.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 20 2013, 6:53am

Post #17 of 17 (46 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget the shot of Dale in snow as well [In reply to] Can't Post

From vlog 7: see here.

Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.