Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Pippin's arc

GiantMushroomBear
Bree

May 15 2013, 10:08pm

Post #1 of 7 (1164 views)
Shortcut
Pippin's arc Can't Post

is one of the best in the trilogy. Yes, he's a buffoon. But eventually he comes to acknowledge his idiocracy and remorse, thus, evolve into a deeper character

Loresilme
Valinor

May 15 2013, 11:57pm

Post #2 of 7 (719 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad you started this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, one of the absolutely most bucket-of-tears-inducing moments in the trilogy is at the end of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields when Pippin finds Merry. After everything we've heard about how Merry has always been the one to look after Pippin, and all the foolishness we've seen from Pippin, when he finds Merry so badly injured, he grows up in the space of a few seconds. When he says "No, Merry, I'm going to look after you.", I just cannot not cry, every single time. There is so much meaning in that sentence, coming from him. And BB just nails it too, with his expression, and his delivery, he doesn't over emphasize any of the words, he just says it so simply and heartfelt.
Never a dry eye after this scene.

Pippin: Merry! Merry, it's me! It's Pippin.
Merry: I knew you'd find me.
Pippin: Yes.
Merry: Are you going to leave me?
Pippin: No, Merry. I'm going to look after you.

P.S. And hi, GiantMushroomBear :)!

Smile Loresilme

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

May 16 2013, 4:08am

Post #3 of 7 (733 views)
Shortcut
agree 100% [In reply to] Can't Post

I kinda wish though that they had kept the original line "Are you going to bury me?"

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

May 19 2013, 11:01am

Post #4 of 7 (697 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie downplayed exactly how bad shape Merry was in at that point. The scene did have as much impact as it could considering the line change.

Frodo and Sam are older, and Merry is already very competent even when the story starts, as being heir of Buckland (i.e. on the outskirts of the Shire and therefore part of it's first line of defense), he's presumably already been taught how to deal with unsavoury "big people" and wild animals like wolves coming around if the Shire gets a particularly bad winter. Out of the four, it's Pippin who most represents the stereotypical boy who goes to war and comes back a man. He has to grow up extremely fast - and rises to the challenge, beginning with his trick with the brooch when he realizes that he's going to have to be proactive to get Merry and himself away from the Orcs attempting to get them to Isengard.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 21 2013, 1:36am

Post #5 of 7 (590 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes and yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I sometimes feel that Pippin is overlooked. Sure he was silly, and caused trouble and needed looking after at first, but he grew up in such a short time. Frodo and Sam are older, and Merry is heir of Buckland, so even he knows how to deal. Pippin had to learn it all basically on the road, surrounded by darkness and danger, and he did it. He survived and became stronger for it. Pippin's arc certainly touches my heart.

RachellovesLOTR
Rivendell

May 21 2013, 10:53pm

Post #6 of 7 (582 views)
Shortcut
I like to think of [In reply to] Can't Post

the hobbits like brothers. Just like the Sisterhood of the traveling pants (pardon my comparison here) each hobbit looks out for one another in friendship and each hobbit has his own strength or weakness. I can tell in the book and Jackson's life action films that all four of them care about each other. Pippin seems like he would be the type to be a prankster at school if the hobbits went to school, and I can picture Frodo, Sam, and Merry (especially Merry though) helping him out of his sticky situations just like they do in the book. And then maybe get into trouble with him. I love Pippin (in the book).

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 24 2013, 5:47am

Post #7 of 7 (599 views)
Shortcut
Palantir [In reply to] Can't Post

I think when Pip looks into the Palantir it sobered him up with an"OH $%*@!!!, We're not in in the Shire any more Toto." moment is when his arc started to peak and he had to put his big boy hobbit pants on.

It scared the bejesus out of him and when he offers his service to Denethor to atone for Boromirs sacrifice and when his actions save Faramir.it peaks.

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.