Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
elijah wood cast for the next two films...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

boldog
Rohan

May 14 2013, 8:48am

Post #1 of 28 (1828 views)
Shortcut
elijah wood cast for the next two films... Can't Post

I was just wondering what you all might think he will be doing especially in part 2, even ian holm as old Bilbo. will they continue on with ian narrating, telling us his story?
and what about Elijah as Frodo. it has alright been quite well enough bridged to the fotr, with him leaving to surprise Gandalf. I don't really see much more he can be in, other than somehow being in the narrative of the hobbit itself. what are your thoughts?

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

dik-dik
Lorien

May 14 2013, 9:00am

Post #2 of 28 (813 views)
Shortcut
His involvement in movie 3 could serve as a nice closure by returning to where the story started... [In reply to] Can't Post

... But I haven't got the foggiest idea what Frodo might be doing in movie 2. Crazy I like watching Elijah Wood's performances so if this isn't only a rumour or if they don't decide to cut out his scenes, I'm not grumbling... Perhaps something in the extended edition prologue? I'll let myself get surprised. ;)

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 14 2013, 9:23am

Post #3 of 28 (844 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would take some time for Frodo to get to that tree grove to await Gandalf. And once there, he would have
some spare time, so there is a little window here in which to incorporate some sort of flashback with Frodo
pondering old Bilbo's strange behavior. Frodo's pondering will transfer us to old Bilbo smoking his pipe and
reminiscing about Beorn. Which, in turn, will lead us to young bilbo and Thorin Oakenshield fondling his precious
key on top of the stone bear's head. The image of the key will launch prologue 1.5 with Gandalf finding the key from
Thrain. With key in hand, Gandalf thinks of Thorin, which transfers us to Bree for the fateful meeting between Gandalf
and Thorin. At 1 hr and 3. min into the film, young bilbo and Thorin climb down from the rock and enter beorn's room, where
we are transferred to a sideplot with Gandalf roaming the 'high fells' which then could approximately leave 1 hour for bilbo and dwarves to
get from beorn to the smaug. I hope you like your action and fast and exiciting, for the dwarves be moving toward that final destination!
This could indeed be a movie I would enjoy to watch Heart
I am sure the team will find a way to bring whatever their vision might be to an immersive and fantastic cinema experienceSmile

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

May 14 2013, 9:44am

Post #4 of 28 (734 views)
Shortcut
Thatīs right [In reply to] Can't Post

But I was thinking more of the looks more than the technique, however Iīm agree that the LOTR version has very cool moments

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 14 2013, 9:56am

Post #5 of 28 (852 views)
Shortcut
Here is ONE Link! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/scotland/elijah-wood-on-maniac-and-being-a-hobbit-for-life-1-2834948

I'm sure there is More?
bomby

(This post was edited by Bombadil on May 14 2013, 9:58am)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

May 14 2013, 11:03am

Post #6 of 28 (650 views)
Shortcut
okay that answer was not for this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Thatīs whats happens when you have a LOT of TORN forum widow openTongue

(This post was edited by entmaiden on May 14 2013, 12:49pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

May 14 2013, 11:15am

Post #7 of 28 (648 views)
Shortcut
that green book [In reply to] Can't Post

We would have to figure out what is he reading at the begining of FOTR, that could be a clue

Kullervo
Rivendell

May 14 2013, 11:20am

Post #8 of 28 (639 views)
Shortcut
I hope not [In reply to] Can't Post

The Frodo cameo is actually the only part in AUJ that I would cut out as being unnecessary. And not just unnecessary, but I think it makes the rythm of the beginning feel jerky. The movie would have opened with a much better flow if after the Erebor prologue we would have gone straight to young Bilbo and the beginning of the actual story. It doesn't bother me that much, now that I watch the movie, but I do hope they don't repeat that in DoS or TABA. Some kind of narration from old Bilbo might work, but I hope they'll just jump straight into the real adventure.

I could see him returning at the end of TABA, however. Or at least old Bilbo. So that the trilogy closes where it started.

ecliptica
The Shire

May 14 2013, 11:22am

Post #9 of 28 (676 views)
Shortcut
Confirmed? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is Elijah Wood and Sir Ian Holm confirmed for ALL three movies?
I thought they were only involved in the first, and possibly the third movie..

From my part, I would love to see them in all of the movies, it was great to see them in AUJ, even tough old bildo looked too old compared to Fotr. Shocked

Escapist
Gondor

May 14 2013, 11:27am

Post #10 of 28 (635 views)
Shortcut
It depends on how it's done. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Great Gatsby has a framing device and I liked it - although it was probably uneccessary, many of my favorite films have one, actually. It's a way of showing an author's reflection on the story and how they were affected by it. Sometimes it also adds more to the story when the frame is part of the story somehow (but not so much in this case). Tolkien himself dabbled with a kind of framing through Frodo as I understand it.

But - now that we have LOTR with no frame at all and AUJ with a blip and no end-bookmark - I think it is best to hold off on the end bookmark to appear at the end of TABA. I guess they could make Frodo part of a prologue again - make him part of a quick summarizing of AUJ and a vehicle for making connections between what happens in DOS and how it is connected to what happens in LOTR - only, I'm not sure what parts of DOS have that connection (I don't think there is anything analogous to Bilbo finding the ring and Gollum). It could be the Necromancer story? Somehow? And that is something I can only wildly speculate about!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

May 14 2013, 12:41pm

Post #11 of 28 (580 views)
Shortcut
Is it confirmed? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think Frodo will appear in DoS... I think Ian Holm will narrate the beginning IF they need narrating, if not we will not see them again until the end of the last movie I guess

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

May 14 2013, 1:12pm

Post #12 of 28 (558 views)
Shortcut
De-stressing the film. [In reply to] Can't Post

They've already told those new to this story that Bilbo lives to a ripe old age, so we never need to worry about his health at any point in the films - the trolls, Goblin Town, Mirkwood, the spiders or even Smaug and the final battle - we know in advance that nothing's going to touch him and he'll escape with all limbs intact.

So, why not just start film 2 with Frodo and Bilbo briefly telling us the rest of the story, - "it's a shame old Thorin didn't make it" etc etc., thus removing any other tension that the story might contain, and leaving us to enjoy the film in a cosy bubble of blandness.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 14 2013, 2:15pm

Post #13 of 28 (572 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, but how do you know he's in the next two films? [In reply to] Can't Post

Have I missed an announcement somewhere?

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 14 2013, 2:15pm

Post #14 of 28 (567 views)
Shortcut
Misleading Subject Titles [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like tabloid headlines.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 14 2013, 2:16pm

Post #15 of 28 (564 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just someone trying to get clicks on a thread.

dik-dik
Lorien

May 14 2013, 2:36pm

Post #16 of 28 (528 views)
Shortcut
It is not true then? [In reply to] Can't Post

Aww. Gullible is my middle name in that case. Unsure

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

tripecac
Rivendell

May 14 2013, 4:59pm

Post #17 of 28 (456 views)
Shortcut
If they DO include Frodo... [In reply to] Can't Post

...then maybe they could pick other moments of Frodo/Bilbo interaction:

1) after the party, (when Bilbo is ready to leave) -- not really appropriate since they have other things on their mind

2) rivendell -- ideal for second movie

3) grey havens -- ideal for the third movie

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 14 2013, 5:04pm

Post #18 of 28 (451 views)
Shortcut
could also [In reply to] Can't Post

could also work something like this (as a framing device)...

bilbo is still busy writing (although how he's going to finish everything up in time for the party, i don't know --- he must be a +fast+ writer, and do no editing) in bag end...

cut to frodo and gandalf chatting in gandalf's pony trap, headed towards hobbition...

frodo mentions to gandalf that bilbo is writing something... gandalf has a knowing look... cut back to bilbo at bag end, writing....

...segue back to the dwarven company.

there are myriad ways that frodo could be worked into the middle film.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Loresilme
Valinor

May 14 2013, 5:16pm

Post #19 of 28 (434 views)
Shortcut
lol - a flashback of a flashback of a flashback :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 14 2013, 6:43pm

Post #20 of 28 (412 views)
Shortcut
I for one [In reply to] Can't Post

do not want him in DOS. To be honest I could care less about Frodo in the Hobbit movies.

Elizabeth
Valinor

May 14 2013, 7:35pm

Post #21 of 28 (395 views)
Shortcut
Sort of. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're listed in imdb for both, but that's not the world's most accurate info for movies not yet released.

glor
Rohan

May 14 2013, 7:35pm

Post #22 of 28 (401 views)
Shortcut
Holm and Wood.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Could be credited in the next two movies without actually being in them. It could as these things do, be part of the 'financial arrangements'.

Even if this story is verified as official it doesn't mean Holm or Wood will actually be on the screen, film credits equal pay cheques.

burgahobbit
Rohan

May 14 2013, 8:32pm

Post #23 of 28 (358 views)
Shortcut
Hahahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is very funny. Very very funny...but it could end up being true...Shocked

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 15 2013, 3:50pm

Post #24 of 28 (234 views)
Shortcut
Please, no more Eiljah Wood as Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be very irritated if they did include him (or Aragorn for that matter). The remaining two films need to focus on the story of The Hobbit without pointlessly referring to LOTR. There's enough potentially fantastic stuff remaining in The Hobbit, featuring the characters so well established in AUJ, as well as the new ones that do need to be in the story. Focus on them…

In Reply To
do not want him in DOS. To be honest I could care less about Frodo in the Hobbit movies.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 15 2013, 3:56pm

Post #25 of 28 (229 views)
Shortcut
What You Actually Mean [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that you couldn't care less. If you could care less, you do care at least a little.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.