Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

May 13 2013, 1:06pm

Post #1 of 34 (429 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

Kaede
Rivendell

May 13 2013, 1:57pm

Post #2 of 34 (269 views)
Shortcut
Stardust [In reply to] Can't Post

Other thread inspired me to drag out my DVD of Stardust, based on the novel by Neil Gaiman...narrated by Ian McKellan. It's a bit quieter than a PJ film, but I love the ghostly brothers kvetching in the gallery as they get killed off, some shire-like settings and castle city to rival Minas Tirith...and DeNiro as the sky pirate. British humor, sword fighting, dark witches, escapist story, Neil Gaiman...what's not to like? Smile

Magpie
Immortal

May 13 2013, 4:16pm

Post #3 of 34 (267 views)
Shortcut
Sound of Noise, Contagion, and a 'rewatch' of The Host [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm kind of in between series on DVDs (a bunch are getting release in June) and so I'm catching up on some movies I had thrown into my Netflix queue with the intention of watching 'someday.'

When I read the description of Sound of Noise to my husband he responded: Swedish STOMP. And he was not far off. Netflix says, In this absurdist comedy, only a tone-deaf, music-hating detective can stop a band of renegade percussionists who are terrorizing a Swedish city using their surroundings -- including the populace -- as instruments to create sonic chaos.

The percussionists are really percussionists in real life and they've apparently made some shorts of them creating 'music' (in as much as a group like STOMP or Blue Man Group can make music. It's percussion.. but not melodic). The premise of those shorts got strung into a movie with a light plot laid on top.

It was interesting, a bit amusing, a bit entertaining and I'm glad it didn't go on longer than it did. I checked out one of the shorts that was included in the extras of the DVD and I was already a bit tired of the premise.

But I will recommend it as something quirky and unique to check out. If you like innovative percussion, definitely check it out.

I don't know why I was so worried about Contagion being too gross or something for me. It was not gross. It was not sensational. It was not overwrought. It was fairly tame as current movies today go. It served the purpose as an 'interim' watch between things I am very invested in. I didn't think there was anything remarkable about it.

I wanted something to pass the time and couldn't get enthusiasm up for any of the hundreds of options on Amazon Prime streaming. So I put on a movie I'd seen before -- the Korean monster movie, The Host aka Gwoemul. I didn't watch it all though, I fast forwarded through a lot. I still think this is a pretty decent monster movie.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

CuriousG
Valinor

May 13 2013, 5:05pm

Post #4 of 34 (310 views)
Shortcut
Cabin in the Woods, and Deadfall [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd seen "Cabin" before, and it stood up to a second viewing. Such a fun movie with lots of unexpected details and various twists, plus the dialogue is great. One of the funniest parts is a crazy quasi-fundamentalist calling in to report to people in an office and ranting and raving about sins, apocalypse, divine retribution, etc, then switching to a normal voice and saying, "Am I on speaker phone? I hear an echo. Why do you have me on speaker phone?"

"Deadfall" was a disappointing movie with some good actors in it like Eric Bana. The plot was contrived, nearly every character was overly dark, conflicts never ended, and I didn't care about any of them or believe they had normal human motivations. Not one I'd recommend unless you like film noir just because you like film noir.

Starling
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 6:28pm

Post #5 of 34 (267 views)
Shortcut
I've been back in the 70's and 80's, and hanging out with some Italians [In reply to] Can't Post

Whodunnit, which I remember from my childhood, is a game show in which a panel try to literally figure out 'whodunnit'. A crime is played out, and then the supects sit in the studio and have to answer questions from the panel. The panel are allowed to choose pieces of film they wish to have played back, to help them piece the crime together. Host John Pertwee has to keep things moving along as he waits for the technical crew to organise the film! At the end the panel and a group from the studio audience write down their answer, and the real culprit must stand up. Winners receive the fabulous 'Whodunnit' magnifying glass! Lots of fun with hammy acting, awesome 70's clothes, and a different panel each week, including such people as Kinsley Amis, who smoked about a packet of cigarettes in the 30 minute show.

I've also enjoyed catching up on One Summer, (spoilers on the link) which screened here in 1983. I was a teenager at the time, and it made a big impression on me. It's the first thing I ever saw David Morrissey in, and I remember thinking he would be someone to look out for. It is still very, very good. And it is interesting in the light of Margaret Thatcher's recent death, as it is set in Liverpool and Wales when Thatcherism was really beginning to bite.

And my last one is Two Greedy Italians - Chefs Antonio Carluccio and Gennaro Contaldo return to Italy to discover what has changed, sampling, eating, and cooking, and talking with the people who live in different parts of Italy. It is absolutely wonderful!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 13 2013, 7:21pm

Post #6 of 34 (239 views)
Shortcut
Whodunnit! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I could never pick the killer. That was one show that the whole family stopped to watch each week.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 7:26pm

Post #7 of 34 (240 views)
Shortcut
It's pretty funny [In reply to] Can't Post

John Pertwee sports some lovely safari suits and jewellery. I can't get over all the smoking!
We always watched it as a family, but I was way too young to figure it out. Of the ones I have watched so far, I have only picked one killer. It is complicated by the fact that the people being questioned are allowed to lie, and sometimes there is more than one of them involved.

I mainly watch for the fashion. Cool

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 13 2013, 9:14pm

Post #8 of 34 (246 views)
Shortcut
And also, [In reply to] Can't Post

when a panel member thinks they already know the answer, they can throw a spanner in the works and ask for a clip that they know has nothing to do with the killer - causing confusion among everyone else they wonder what the heck the panel member saw in that scene!

Damn, you've made me want to hunt out a DVD of the show now.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on May 13 2013, 9:16pm)

paperC
Rivendell

May 13 2013, 10:21pm

Post #9 of 34 (217 views)
Shortcut
The Town, Side Effects and Stories we tell [In reply to] Can't Post

The Town - 3.5/5

Side Effects and Stories We Tell - 4/5

paperC
Rivendell

May 13 2013, 10:21pm

Post #10 of 34 (227 views)
Shortcut
Why would you fast forward? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's no way to watch a film! :/

Magpie
Immortal

May 13 2013, 11:06pm

Post #11 of 34 (224 views)
Shortcut
You have to be careful which post you click 'reply' to. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your account of what you watched is posted as a reply to me but there's nothing in that post that is directed at me and your questions of 'why fast forward' is posted as a reply to deej and I think it's meant as a reply to me.

It works best to hit 'reply' to the exact post you mean to reply to. Not just a random post. :-)

If the fast forward question was posed to me the answer is... because I can. I didn't want to watch the whole movie, which I'd seen before, again. I just wanted to watch the best parts. I don't need to see running through the sewers for 10 minutes again. I wasn't looking for a complete movie experience as much as I was looking for a visual form of entertainment to occupy my mind for an hour.

Starling
Half-elven

May 14 2013, 6:13am

Post #12 of 34 (212 views)
Shortcut
I never thought of that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Messing with the other panel members - tricksy!
It's good fun. I got it from Fatso if that is any help.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

May 14 2013, 6:42am

Post #13 of 34 (206 views)
Shortcut
Whodunnit sounds fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw an ad for a new reality show where the contestants will solve a murder mystery, but I think it will be more like those murder mystery week-ends they have at B&B's rather than a panel game. But Whodunnit sounds like a hoot! I would love to see John Pertwee in his 70's duds. Laugh

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Starling
Half-elven

May 14 2013, 7:34am

Post #14 of 34 (216 views)
Shortcut
Here ya go [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

This is a rather understated outfit.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 14 2013, 7:34pm

Post #15 of 34 (180 views)
Shortcut
*gets out credit card* / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 14 2013, 9:49pm

Post #16 of 34 (209 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek: Into Darkness [In reply to] Can't Post

We had a false start with this one: drove to the (fairly) nearby village with one of our favourite theatres, only to find they had a power cut after a storm. We went back the next day, and all was well.

Enjoyed it a lot. Lots of fun nods to TOS, and Benedict Cumberbatch was wonderfully chilling.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Patty
Immortal

May 15 2013, 1:22pm

Post #17 of 34 (175 views)
Shortcut
Me, I loved Contagion. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know you hadn't already seen it, Magpie. I would have recommended it to you long ago, given our similarity in taste for that kind of flick. Angelic

Permanent address: Into the West

imin
Valinor

May 15 2013, 2:24pm

Post #18 of 34 (178 views)
Shortcut
Oblivion [In reply to] Can't Post

Was ok, my gf and I guessed what was going to happen way before it did - has shades of Moon about it.

I thought it looked very nice and was a decent enough movie, nothing wrong about it but kinda just felt i had seen it all before - maybe i have seen too many films already!

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 16 2013, 10:30am

Post #19 of 34 (164 views)
Shortcut
Iron Man III [In reply to] Can't Post

As usual... it was great; but I have to admit to being a bit... just a tidge... distracted at how "all over the place" it was. It didn't have the tight plot-line and edge that the original had and pt 2 just missed. Don't get me wrong, there were some GREAT moments and GREAT action, but I found myself hoping for more... like Iron Man I and the Avengers. I will be getting the dvd to complete my set, but I won't see it at the theatre again.

Stay through the credits! There's a fabulous moment at the very end ;)

THIS WEEKEND IS STAR TREK!!! WOOOT! :D

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

batik
Tol Eressea

May 16 2013, 10:52pm

Post #20 of 34 (163 views)
Shortcut
How Green was My Valley... [In reply to] Can't Post

1941. I watched this and a couple of others over the weekend. (Gotta love that TCM channel !)
I missed the opening minutes of the film and was--well I was in barliman's when someone there mentioned it. Anyway, I very much enjoyed seeing this one. I had on the closed captioning and noted the name Bronwyn right away. My first thought was...are these people Welsh? And my second thought was....somehow, knowing about Tolkien caused me to think that! Sure enough, within minutes the words..."...singing in Welsh.." appeared. Cool It was a fine film and a great story....*and* I now am interested in reading the book. I simply liked the non-*action* that we see so often in today's movies--where it seems everyone/thing is overly hip, slick, and cool. (BTW, there is plenty of action--it just seems not so over the top). I will have to gather some other thoughts on how movies of bygone eras compare with today's.
Moving on....also watched A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945). I had the title confused with another one that I had seen sometime ago :( . However I was engaged in the story right away and I'm glad I watched...*and* have added another book to my to-read list.
Last one for the weekend was Stella Dallas.(1937). This is one of the very few roles I've seen Barbara Stanwyck in (yes, I watched The Big Valley as a kid). Quite enjoyed the movie.

(This post was edited by batik on May 16 2013, 10:53pm)

Magpie
Immortal

May 17 2013, 1:12am

Post #21 of 34 (138 views)
Shortcut
I have read both of those books [In reply to] Can't Post

I have my mother's copy of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1943 edition) and I referenced something from it just the other day.

I also read How Green Was My Valley because I have some Welsh heritage and, for awhile, belonged to the St. David's Society here (and I was doing Welsh Country Dancing). I remember how people (in the book) were punished for speaking Welsh.

Sometimes, I don't think people who are quick to want Celtic music for a movie based on an English 'mythic-tale' quite understand the complexities of history between the English and Celtic people. I have always thought that any music for the Shire should be English.. not Celtic. Not that I side with the English ... but that I just think the distinctness of each culture needs to be understood.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

May 17 2013, 1:18am

Post #22 of 34 (138 views)
Shortcut
ooh those sound good! (though I confess I didn't recognise anything from that list!) *waves to sunny* :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

"So your own praise will forever keep your name green,
Both here on Earth and on the stage of the stars" - J.G.Kittel, writing about the composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1740)

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

bborchar
Rohan

May 17 2013, 3:52am

Post #23 of 34 (138 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's the middle of the week, but oh well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched Star Trek: Into Darkness today. I am so thrilled, it was better than I thought it would be. Just great. I can't stand it, though, because no one else has seen it and I can't say anything!!! Arrrrrgh.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 17 2013, 3:57am

Post #24 of 34 (134 views)
Shortcut
Good for you! I am hoping to go tomorrow! [In reply to] Can't Post

If I do I will let you know !

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

zarabia
Tol Eressea

May 17 2013, 5:21am

Post #25 of 34 (127 views)
Shortcut
Far out! LOL Love the hair, too :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.