Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which book series should be made into a movie?
Poll: Which book series should be made into a movie?
Matched by Ally Condie
The Forest of Hands & Teeth by Carrie Ryan
Artemis Fowl by Eion Colfer
Fallen by Lauren Kate
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
View Results (21 votes)

MaeBeth
Bree

May 8 2013, 4:03pm

Post #1 of 23 (764 views)
Shortcut
Which book series should be made into a movie? Can't Post

There have been a lot of these lately. And there are still some really good ones left un-movied (it's a word now) You can even tell us who you can see playing the title role & stuff. Or if there's one I left out, please share with the class!

Darkstone
Immortal

May 8 2013, 4:26pm

Post #2 of 23 (288 views)
Shortcut
Leviathan for movie, Artemis Fowl for cable series. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fallen, Matched, and The Forest of Hands and Teeth are already being made into films (Disney, Disney, and Seven Star).

Of course the two I'd most want to see are the two not being made. Artemis Fowl would be great if Hollywood didn't tone down the main character. (Which they probably would, unless it was a Showtime series, in which case go for it!!)

Otherwise, I'd go with Leviathan. I love alternate history steampunk!

Luinnár
Rivendell

May 8 2013, 5:27pm

Post #3 of 23 (291 views)
Shortcut
I haven't read any of these. [In reply to] Can't Post

MaeBeth
Bree

May 8 2013, 6:02pm

Post #4 of 23 (281 views)
Shortcut
I had no idea [In reply to] Can't Post

We can just hope they won't be (what's the term?) under-acted, over-funded, & just plain silly. *cough*Twilight*cough*Evil

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 8 2013, 8:23pm

Post #5 of 23 (275 views)
Shortcut
Fowl Series... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought at one point it was in development? Could be wrong! It is the only series I have read....
I think Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson was to play Artemis' bodyguard, Butler

Darkstone
Immortal

May 8 2013, 8:51pm

Post #6 of 23 (270 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been in "development heck" over at Miramax since 2003. There was some interest by director Jim Sheridan back in 2011, but I haven't heard anything else.

demnation
Rohan

May 8 2013, 10:08pm

Post #7 of 23 (254 views)
Shortcut
No idea what any of these are [In reply to] Can't Post

With the exception of Artemis Fowl. So I'll say that one.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 10:43pm

Post #8 of 23 (268 views)
Shortcut
Other/Unfamiliar with any of these series [In reply to] Can't Post

I've at least heard of the Artemis Fowl books, but I am otherwise unfamiliar with any of your options.

I will list at least one of my own: The Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock. Back in the day, I would have suggested David Bowie for Elric of Melniboné. I'm not sure who would be suitable today. Perhaps the project should even be approached as an animated rock opera (music by Blue Oyster Cult?). I could certainly see BOC's "Black Blade" being used somehow in the soundtrack.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 8 2013, 10:47pm)

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 9 2013, 12:58am

Post #9 of 23 (249 views)
Shortcut
Ok... [In reply to] Can't Post

that makes sense. The Rock may be too big of a star now to play Butler, unless they grab an A-List cast.....then he might be too small!!

MaeBeth
Bree

May 9 2013, 5:55pm

Post #10 of 23 (221 views)
Shortcut
Elric Saga? [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't heard of that one, sounds interesting though! What's it about?

MaeBeth
Bree

May 9 2013, 6:00pm

Post #11 of 23 (228 views)
Shortcut
That's so weird [In reply to] Can't Post

I think either the Rock or Jason Statham would a great Butler make! And either Summer Glau or Miranda Otto as Holly...

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 9 2013, 7:11pm

Post #12 of 23 (226 views)
Shortcut
There is always a first-time reader! [In reply to] Can't Post

Michael Moorcock is one of the finest British fantasists to arise since Tolkien. He began The Elric Saga in the 1960s. It is a sword-and-sorcery series about the albino sorcerer-king Elric of Melniboné and the cursed sword Stormbringer (stealer of souls) that sustains his life and is also his doom. Elric is sort-of an anti-Conan; the stories are full of dark humor and irony. The original saga consists of the six novels:

- Elric of Melniboné
- The Sailor on the Seas of Fate
- The Weird of the White Wolf
- The Bane of the Black Sword
- Stormbringer

Moorcock has added to the series since. The whole saga can also be seen as just a part of his larger Eternal Champion Cycle. Moorcock has also been a member of the British rock band Hawkwind and co-wrote several songs for Blue Oyster Cult, including "Black Blade" which is about Elric and Stormbringer.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 9 2013, 7:19pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 9 2013, 7:49pm

Post #13 of 23 (233 views)
Shortcut
NOTA [In reply to] Can't Post

Instead, Issac Asimov's eventually-unified Foundation and Robot series.

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 10 2013, 12:00am

Post #14 of 23 (200 views)
Shortcut
I would [In reply to] Can't Post

be all over an Asimov Foundation/Robot series adaption. That would be fantastic. I absolutely loved the Foundation series.

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 10 2013, 12:01am

Post #15 of 23 (209 views)
Shortcut
Statham [In reply to] Can't Post

would work I think...I'm not a fan of his Transporter series, but I think I could see him pulling off Butler quite well.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 10 2013, 2:59am

Post #16 of 23 (208 views)
Shortcut
listings [In reply to] Can't Post

dragonriders of pern
the silmarillion (jackson to direct)
the earthsea trilogy (totally discounting the one a few years back)
the chronicles of narnia (totally discounting the ones a few years back)

cheers --

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

May 10 2013, 8:16pm

Post #17 of 23 (182 views)
Shortcut
I still think Brandon Sanderson's books would be excellent fantasy epics. [In reply to] Can't Post

And a remake of Hitchhiker's Guide would be nice. Keep Stephen Fry as the Narrator and Martin Freeman as Arthur - they were well-cast. But for the love of Betelgeuse, Ford, Zaphod and Trillian were awful. Especially Ford. He was not perfect. But this would never happen. I'd love to see The Restaurant at the End of the Universe as a movie.

The Children of Húrin would be a very good movie. I've always loved the tone of the book and its morbid beauty. Although, I don't know if it's PJ's kind of movie. Can Hugh Dancy please be cast as Túrin?

Haven't really read the books in the poll...Blush

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on May 10 2013, 8:20pm)

RangerLady23
Lorien

May 11 2013, 6:45pm

Post #18 of 23 (177 views)
Shortcut
As movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they should go and do some of the material from the Star Wars novels. They would have to do them as animated since Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are all old now, but I think some of the books would be awesome in a visual sense. {Hint, hint, George Lucas} Laugh

CuriousG
Valinor

May 13 2013, 4:52pm

Post #19 of 23 (176 views)
Shortcut
Foundation series would be awesome on film. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Misto
Lorien

May 13 2013, 7:48pm

Post #20 of 23 (173 views)
Shortcut
I don't read book series [In reply to] Can't Post

as a general rule. Harry Potter aside I have yet to find a series that interests me enough to waste time on it while there are so many really good non-serial books to be read. I regard series as a modern day marketing gadget more often than not lacking in constant quality.

Annael
Half-elven

May 15 2013, 10:57pm

Post #21 of 23 (135 views)
Shortcut
one exception you might consider [In reply to] Can't Post

Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series.

I guarantee you he will surprise you over and over. And the books are just so well written it's a pleasure to read them for that alone.

Also, he will make you snort with laughter.

MaeBeth
Bree

May 16 2013, 4:46pm

Post #22 of 23 (148 views)
Shortcut
Just thought of another [In reply to] Can't Post

The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart & Chris Riddell. It has a nice steampunk feel, & yet I don't think it's quite steampunk... Oh lookie here, a link!

http://www.randomhouse.com/.../index.php?p=explore

(This post was edited by MaeBeth on May 16 2013, 4:50pm)

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 25 2013, 6:15am

Post #23 of 23 (165 views)
Shortcut
some not on your list [In reply to] Can't Post

Belgariad as a series HBO or something
Sword of Shanarra and Elfstones of Shanarra
Del toro was working on a HP lovecraft film but it got scrubbed because studio wanted it PG13 and Del Toro said no rated R only

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.