The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
WSJ: Enter the Dragon, Tolkien-Style

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

May 13 2013, 11:09am

Post #1 of 5 (726 views)
Shortcut
WSJ: Enter the Dragon, Tolkien-Style Can't Post

Mention Smaug, the classic storybook dragon of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," and a ray of delight flickers across Benedict Cumberbatch's pale eyes.

Smaug, "a most specially greedy, strong and wicked worm" of Tolkien lore, is for many children their first encounter with fire-breathing, scaly dragons. "First one for me,"Cumberbatch is quick to add. "My dad read the book to me and it was a bedtime treat if I had done well. If I had been a good boy, I'd get two chapters as opposed to maybe one or none if I had been really bad."

As his father, actor Timothy Carlton, brought the colorful characters of "The Hobbit" to life, a film played out in young Cumberbatch's mind -- decades before he would be cast as Smaug in Peter Jackson's own film "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug." [Read More]

(This post was edited by Silverlode on May 14 2013, 3:52am)

Ffnir
Rohan

May 13 2013, 8:04pm

Post #2 of 5 (380 views)
Shortcut
I hate how they don't let any spoiler pass about Smaug ! [In reply to] Can't Post

And yet I will be glad they did s when I see him for the first time !
If Smaug is badly done, I will... I don't even want to think about it. I would be more disapointed than I have been in years !

Maciliel
Valinor

May 13 2013, 8:12pm

Post #3 of 5 (384 views)
Shortcut
why isn't smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

.... doing any of the promotion work?

he could be off-camera, answering questions like... what's his favorite color? are dwarves like meat and potatoes, and are elves like tiramasu and marzipan?

smaug really isn't pulling his weight, here... i know his bulk is considerable, but, really, he could be doing more.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 14 2013, 1:27am

Post #4 of 5 (281 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait to see his performance [In reply to] Can't Post

He's so into it, it's gonna be great. I love this guy! I hereby declare myself and anyone who is a fan of Cumberbatch, (who is not a crazy fangirl) the Cumberbatch Contingent. Cool

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 14 2013, 1:29am

Post #5 of 5 (278 views)
Shortcut
So will I [In reply to] Can't Post

If Smaug doesn't look good, I too will be disappointed. I'm sure Benedict is going to do a great job, but I'm concerned about the appearance of Smaug.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.