Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Does anyone else think they'll keep the thrush? (*book spoilers, if still required*)

dik-dik
Lorien

May 13 2013, 3:55pm

Views: 821
Shortcut
Does anyone else think they'll keep the thrush? (*book spoilers, if still required*) Can't Post

I mean the thrush as an essential tool in the destruction of Smaug. I wonder if Smaug's death in the movie will be handled as it was done in the book. There the conversation between Bilbo and the dragon is crucial IMO in the first place because Bilbo's revelation about the dragon's weak spot is delivered to Bard through the thrush. We've already seen the thrush in the movie, which suggests that he may well play the part he has in the book.
But on the other hand, I believe the team wish to make movies 2 and 3 darker, and so far there have been no talking animals. These two things make me somewhat dubious if the thrush will be involved in movie-Smaug's death or not. No matter how I love the information chain Bilbo-thrush-Bard (complete with a moment for Thorin to shine, restraining Bilbo's hand when the hobbit chases the bird away, and thus 'helping' to slay the dragon Cool), the scene where the thrush points Bard towards the dragon's bare spot, does have a fairytaleish air to it. I half-expect the movie to show Bard noticing the bare spot all by himself. Yet I see the shot of the thrush at the end of AUJ as a sign of the bird's later significance, and the conversation between Bilbo and the dragon would lose much of its vital importance if the thrush's role ended with the hidden door opening.
Thoughts or speculations on the movie-thrush inclusion in the dragon's end, anyone?

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Subject User Time
Does anyone else think they'll keep the thrush? (*book spoilers, if still required*) dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik May 13 2013, 3:55pm
    hope so jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn May 13 2013, 4:14pm
    I certainly hope that the thrush is included! Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai May 13 2013, 4:21pm
    well in the book the thrush Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 May 13 2013, 5:00pm
        Yes, that's more or less what I was thinking... dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik May 14 2013, 8:42am
    Well Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil May 13 2013, 7:08pm
    Really Really Hope so! malickfan Send a private message to malickfan May 13 2013, 9:05pm
        Bard's backstory is something that I'm curious to see how they Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 May 13 2013, 10:09pm
    i think they will keep the thrush... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 13 2013, 10:22pm
    Thumbs Up for the Thrush IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin May 13 2013, 10:52pm
    I would hope so Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust May 14 2013, 1:38am
    I think the thrush will be there! Súlimë Send a private message to Súlimë May 14 2013, 5:41am
        Yes... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir May 14 2013, 9:29am
            I agree Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff May 16 2013, 7:59am
    Birds do it, bees do it Bumblingidiot Send a private message to Bumblingidiot May 14 2013, 3:49pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.