Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Winter doesn't give up without a fight in Minnesota
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

May 12 2013, 4:29am

Post #1 of 30 (242 views)
Shortcut
Winter doesn't give up without a fight in Minnesota Can't Post

I bet some of you have seen this on national news but it's pretty darn amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EyfEDKWscg

There's a strong swear word toward the end when the person taking the video realizes just how powerful this ice heave is.

It reminds me of an old scifi movie, The Monolith Monsters.

It was fishing opener today and mid-northern lakes are just now getting ice out. The most northern lakes are still frozen. Most bait shops have no leeches for fishing because they get the leeches from the lakes and the lakes have been frozen.

Good news is, the mosquitoes haven't come out yet.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Starling
Half-elven

May 12 2013, 6:47am

Post #2 of 30 (126 views)
Shortcut
That is incredible [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks and sounds like some kind of strange crystal train. I never saw anything like this.
Thanks for posting it!
Did it wreck those houses in the end, or did it stop?

Eruwestial37
Rohan

May 12 2013, 7:09am

Post #3 of 30 (119 views)
Shortcut
I saw that on the news tonight [In reply to] Can't Post

I sure hope your house isn't anywhere near it!

Our weathermen love to show us your weather so we can feel better about ours. It works most of the time. Evil I'm in SE Wisconsin.

elaen32
Gondor

May 12 2013, 7:10am

Post #4 of 30 (123 views)
Shortcut
Weird!! [In reply to] Can't Post

and awesome, in the original meaning of the word. I've never seen or heard of anything like this. Scary!!! Thanks for posting

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Magpie
Immortal

May 12 2013, 2:59pm

Post #5 of 30 (110 views)
Shortcut
It damaged some houses [In reply to] Can't Post

That same person posted another video of them walking around looking at the aftermath. It essentially broke through some of the doors (and there were likely all sun room type doors since this is a resort area) and pushed over some lawn furniture and grills. I think the walls of one house were more damaged than most but I'm not sure how much dollar damage it actually did.

No houses were wrecked. I think, at one point, someone came in with a bulldozer and cut a swatch parallel to the lakeshore and townhomes that created a buffer.

Soundchaser
The Shire

May 12 2013, 3:02pm

Post #6 of 30 (111 views)
Shortcut
Damaging Ice [In reply to] Can't Post

My family has had a place on a lake since the '20's, and I've seen the ice do some awesome stuff! When the ice begins to melt, and there is some open water towards the middle, and a strong wind comes up, I've seen chunks break off from the edge and come flying up to shore with dangerous speed force. Also, when the lake level is too low when the thaw starts and a high wind comes up, it can push the ice mass up to and under the seawall, busting up the concrete like it was cardboard.

Magpie
Immortal

May 12 2013, 3:04pm

Post #7 of 30 (104 views)
Shortcut
No where near [In reply to] Can't Post

It's 2 hours north of the Twin Cities on Mille Lacs Lake. Yes, silly Minnesotans call it Mille Lacs Lake. :-)

I always think of Wisconsin as mostly east of us... and it is. But the bulk of it is also south to an extent I never realized till I looked at the longitude difference between the Twin Cities and Milwaukee (where my friend lives). We really are up there.. north-wise!

Magpie
Immortal

May 12 2013, 3:05pm

Post #8 of 30 (102 views)
Shortcut
I love weather [In reply to] Can't Post

and I've heard Lake Superior ice can be pretty darn impressive. As a mostly arm-chair weather chaser, I would love to see something like what you describe.

Soundchaser
The Shire

May 12 2013, 3:26pm

Post #9 of 30 (102 views)
Shortcut
The Lake I'm on ... [In reply to] Can't Post

is in southern Michigan, about 10 miles north of the Indiana border and northwest of the Ohio border. We're on the east side of an 1,100-acre spring fed lake, and the prevailing winds are from the west and southwest. When my grandfather put in our seawall, he knew what the ice could do, so he beefed it up by burying some old city snowplows and boulders behind it--that was over 50 years ago, and our seawall is in great shape, whereas some of our neighbors have had to replace theirs.

Magpie
Immortal

May 12 2013, 4:03pm

Post #10 of 30 (97 views)
Shortcut
I'm guessing Branch County? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm originally from Battle Creek with some adult time spent in East Lansing and Kalamazoo. I moved to MN in 1980.

I've been working on one line of my family tree so I've been spending lots of 'virtual' time in St. Joseph, Calhoun, and Eaton Cos. Many of my lines came through from the Toledo, Lorain Ohio areas. And lots went down to Indiana to get married.

There are a few other Michiganders on the boards. :-)

Soundchaser
The Shire

May 12 2013, 4:26pm

Post #11 of 30 (95 views)
Shortcut
Cool.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Coldwater in Branch County, at the crossroads of US12 and I-69. Small world after all...Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 12:05am

Post #12 of 30 (97 views)
Shortcut
What the? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I saw a dog under there... are you sure that's ice?

(ps it snowed for about 10 seconds here today, which is very unusual)

silneldor
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 12:52am

Post #13 of 30 (88 views)
Shortcut
Being in N. Jersey [In reply to] Can't Post

and having a place on a 2.2mile x .3 mile pond, i have had my entire dock (25x25ft) pulled clean off but held by a single bolt anchored in a large rock. The ice was clearing one spring and a storm came and the plates of ice had immense power to push.

My son was around 7 and we went on a savaging mission to disassemble this wallowing dock floating in the water. Board by board, stringer by stringer we got it all stacked on the deck to reuse. Mrs. sil was a nail puller. I set up a pair of horses and it was like an assembly line.

It was a huge cost saving not having to buy all new lumber. Most of it was saved because real care was taken to lever each board up cleanly. My son got the boards i loosened and slid them to his mom.

We have rebuilt using 4x4x4 drainage pipes (cut to size witha sawsall) and put on end, filled them with rocks. So far so good, but i will tell you as you will surmise, that the ice will do what it wants when it wants. All one can do is the best possible and hope for the best.

I do not know why those people did not attempt to put something in front of those glass doors like old lumber or thick branches or even old sheets of plywood. It was not fortunately, solid ice, but still quite dangerous. But it did sound fascinating, didn't it? THAT is a BIG lake. BIG open spaces do incredible things...Ice lava...never seen the like.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

Loresilme
Valinor

May 13 2013, 1:03am

Post #14 of 30 (81 views)
Shortcut
The Monolith Monsters!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh wow, I forgot about that movie until you mentioned it! I haven't thought about that one in ages. I remember it - it was pretty scary, at the time. Those giant crystal towers growing and falling... didn't it take place out in the desert? Although I guess most of those 50's sci-fi's used to take place out in the desert, lol. Like "Them" - remember that one, with the giant ants :-)?

Getting back to this video - it looked like a lava flow made of ice. The power of it was awesome to watch, it was fascinating - so slow but so unstoppable. I noticed they mentioned how loud the noise was. Out east here we're keeping an eye (and ear) out for the 17 year cicada cycle. Supposedly that is going to be very loud like that too.

Glad to hear no one was hurt and there was minimal damage.

Magpie
Immortal

May 13 2013, 3:15am

Post #15 of 30 (72 views)
Shortcut
One of our forecasters said, [In reply to] Can't Post

"I have seen many things in 30 years of forecasting weather in Minnesota. I have never seen anything like this."

Magpie
Immortal

May 13 2013, 3:18am

Post #16 of 30 (75 views)
Shortcut
There was a time... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when I would spend Saturday night with my mom watching old sci fi movies like Monolith Monsters and Them. I have fond memories of that time.

I remember thinking that Monolith Monsters was actually pretty good for its genre.

You should be sure to report on the cicada event. I'm curious about it.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 3:31am

Post #17 of 30 (73 views)
Shortcut
That's so scary! [In reply to] Can't Post

We went from winter to summer in one week. Hope you get summer soon!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

silneldor
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 11:33am

Post #18 of 30 (123 views)
Shortcut
The wide temperature gap all across the country [In reply to] Can't Post

raises all kinds of wild weather conditions.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 3:14pm

Post #19 of 30 (66 views)
Shortcut
Magpie..move thyself w/ Husband to Colorado! [In reply to] Can't Post

Where Aunt Dora Baggins and Bomby will help youGuys
settle here...

Ice and Snow... are our Friends?
in Colorado

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 13 2013, 4:41pm

Post #20 of 30 (70 views)
Shortcut
Mercy! That's nasty! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a little snow out my window yesterday... and 80 degree weather 3 days before that! Go figure

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Soundchaser
The Shire

May 13 2013, 7:37pm

Post #21 of 30 (54 views)
Shortcut
I've had to chase dock before... [In reply to] Can't Post

but that was when the water level rose very quickly and unexpectedly. I rebuilt it 15 years ago (3'X100') and haven't had any problems since. One guy up the beach left his boat lift in (about 3 feet of water) and by spring that thing was still in the general area, but it looked like something Picasso had sculpted! I left a 2" galvanized pipe in one year, just to see if it'd get pulled out---was still screwed in but bent at 90 degrees!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 13 2013, 8:17pm

Post #22 of 30 (61 views)
Shortcut
I haven't used this yet, but here's a footer pic for you... [In reply to] Can't Post

I snapped the original photo coming back from Ohio last week, but haven't had time to do a better Photoshop job. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Magpie
Immortal

May 13 2013, 8:26pm

Post #23 of 30 (58 views)
Shortcut
It happened in Manitoba with more devastating effects [In reply to] Can't Post

Search: Lake Dauphin Manitoba in Google News to see articles and photos and a few moments of videos (not as much as the Minnesota video shows).

There are lots of sites mirroring the same stuff but this one isn't bad and it's a reliable site:
http://abcnews.go.com/...temperature-19164906

Magpie
Immortal

May 13 2013, 8:27pm

Post #24 of 30 (62 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

We have a poinsettia left from christmas that's doing well and I've suggested we might need to sacrifice it to appease the gods.

I did give up, today, and turned the heat back on.

(This post was edited by Magpie on May 13 2013, 8:28pm)

silneldor
Half-elven

May 14 2013, 4:14am

Post #25 of 30 (54 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gives a new meaning to the term; ice sculptures. Having a 15 year span is a good record for success.

Yes speaking of pipe, that old dock was supported originally by 3 pilings, 8 inches in diameter and their average height was 9ft sunk in about 3fts . They were treated like tooth picks they were. I decided that any supportive dock system/ice containment system had to have its width as least its height.

J.R.R. Tolkien

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.