Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Rohan vs gondor

maddog101

May 12 2013, 11:59am

Post #1 of 9 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Rohan vs gondor Can't Post

Say they upset each other by some one calling some one fat or something who would win?
I would have to say Rohan as they would run them down!

In Reply To

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

May 13 2013, 1:04pm

Post #2 of 9 (369 views)
Shortcut
Methinks that it depends on where they are. [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I've always loved the Rohirrim more, but if they're in Gondor, I'd like to see our beloved horsemen storm Minas Tirith.

Then again, who knows how people of Arda react when called chubby. They might just pull a Bastille Invasion trick and desecrate The White City.

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace, for I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

Elwen
Lorien

May 13 2013, 2:32pm

Post #3 of 9 (449 views)
Shortcut
Well, given that a well-trained cavalry was often... [In reply to] Can't Post

the key to winning battles in the past, I'd say Rohan for a general battlefield war.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

May 24 2013, 10:38pm

Post #4 of 9 (433 views)
Shortcut
It depends were the battle was. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it were on an open field, than Rohan would definately win. I it were at Minas Tirith, or a fortress like that, then Gondor would win.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

May 31 2013, 3:31pm

Post #5 of 9 (324 views)
Shortcut
Depends [In reply to] Can't Post

Open field, Rohan.

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 9 2013, 9:26pm

Post #6 of 9 (344 views)
Shortcut
Gondor [In reply to] Can't Post

If it were pre-War of the Ring army sizes and both sides were able to do a full muster, I'd vote for Gondor since I think it had a larger army and more diverse units. Cavalry are great, but they aren't always victorious, especially against a phalanx of pikemen. (Not sure if Gondor had pikemen or not, just raising the possibility.)

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Jun 9 2013, 9:27pm)

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jun 28 2013, 4:23pm

Post #7 of 9 (288 views)
Shortcut
Gondor [In reply to] Can't Post

More of the blood on Numernor.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 1 2013, 4:59pm

Post #8 of 9 (264 views)
Shortcut
Who gets the Shieldmaiden? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pre-Pelennor Rohan wins, post-Pelennor Gondor wins.

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred.
And I am hungry.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 6 2013, 7:32pm

Post #9 of 9 (287 views)
Shortcut
Rohan always gets my vote. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't help it, I love the horse people.

More seriously, I was reading a book on medieval warfare and tactics yesterday (the things I do for fun... sigh) and have given this a bit of thought. It would probably depend on where the battle took place, and that would depend upon who insulted whom, I think. The Rohirrim have the advantage of horses and are very fast and mobile, so they could pull away from the Gondorian infantry and harry them on the march with some light cavalry, possibly mounted archers, etc. However, the Gondorians would have an advantage if they are in Minas Tirith or Osgilliath, as they would have fortifications to rally to, siege weapons, etc. Also in Ithilien they would know the territory much better than a Rider.

However, for the sake of the argument, let us place both armies on an open plain. I would probably have to give the advantage to the Rohirrim of the Third Age. Now, if the Gondorians were more like the Numenoreans of the end of the Second Age, my vote would probably go to them since it looks like they have some excellent archers who might prove annoying to the Rohirrim's horses. However, I am assuming this is end of Third Age Rohirrim and Gondorians, in which case the Gondorians are sadly declined from their former glory, in numbers, size, strength, etc. And so in an open field the Rohirrim would have an advantage with their cavalry. The Gondorians could form a sort of phalanx or... augh, I have forgotten the word. Anyway, it was an oval-shaped formation used by the Scottish against English cavalry, where they would crouch down and present their spears/pikes to the oncoming horses. The Gondorians could form such formations; however, the Rohirrim seem to have excellent mounted archers (special mention goes to the one Rider who performs an amazing Parthian shot on the eaves of Fangorn!), and so they could shoot into these formations to break them up. With the men scattered, they could just ride over them again. I don't think the Rohirrim charge with couched lances, but they could throw them (presumably they all have another sidearm) or just start poking the enemy infantry.

However, if the Gondorians have their Ithilien Rangers with their longbows also, it might end up a bit messier. It might lead to a battle of attrition. Ouch. Not sure who would lose morale first in that case; it would probably also depend on who insulted whom.

I would love to see how that insult fell out! Laugh

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.