Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
a little explanation...

elevorn
Lorien

May 13 2013, 2:15pm

Views: 79
Shortcut
a little explanation... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can take the comparison at face value, to me that means that its a shallow concept. I find some similarities, certainly they are there. But I think what we have in Martin is far less the craftsman than what we have in Tolkien. For me that represents Modern America, "or Post Modern" whatever we are calling it at present. The quality of writing craft and language that existed 50 years ago has been covered over by the fast and easy 140 character style of language. The musician in me would use this example. The Fender guitars made at the current time in America are nothing compared to what was made in the 50's and 60's are far as tonality. The same with the pre WWII Martin Acoustic guitars. The craftsmanship in this country has gone down so much on all aspects. There are very few companies and people who are able to get to that once guilded level. For me, Martin certainly comes close, but the tone of the writing is so very different though that the comparison is difficult at times.

As I have stated before I do enjoy Martin's writing, he is frustrating and somewhat mean to his readers, where Tolkien is not. At the same time, the sense of danger in LOTR is missing for me, it may be that I have read it so many times and that is why I find GoT so exciting, there is no safe place. Even in Rowling we feel safe, I actually summarized the end of "The Deathly Hallows" before I ever read the book. My brother was quite angry that I had guessed it right, down to the final section of the book. But at the same time, she had already proven herself to be a safe writer. I knew she was not going do anything to my beloved characters. Tolken was the same for me, again, this may be because I am just so familiar with the story and it has been so long since my first read, or maybe my dad spoiled the suprise of Gandalf coming back before I read it.

Back to my original explanation. The comparison I do believe is a marketing tool, and one the does indeed work, it caught me hook line and sinker. Thank you to all of you who have responded to this thread, your insight has been great and I have really enjoyed the discussion.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com
Posted newly, A short story draft, "The Last Bastion"

Subject User Time
If we were to compare styles... elevorn Send a private message to elevorn May 10 2013, 3:16pm
    very interesting question Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 10 2013, 3:27pm
        agreed elevorn Send a private message to elevorn May 10 2013, 3:34pm
    I shall give my answers now... elevorn Send a private message to elevorn May 10 2013, 3:32pm
        You are so right IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin May 10 2013, 11:02pm
        Really? Escapist Send a private message to Escapist May 11 2013, 12:14pm
            a little explanation... elevorn Send a private message to elevorn May 13 2013, 2:15pm
    I'd say Ray Bradbury... Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone May 10 2013, 5:39pm
        Sadly I've never read anything by Bradbury// elevorn Send a private message to elevorn May 10 2013, 6:07pm
            Bradbury writes more Science Fiction than Fantasy. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth May 10 2013, 7:22pm
                "First of all, I don't write science fiction." Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone May 10 2013, 7:30pm
                    I agree -- Bradbury was a fantasist, but.... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai May 10 2013, 8:10pm
        Interesting you say that... Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 10 2013, 8:50pm
            Bradbury on Heinlein: Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone May 10 2013, 9:04pm
                Fabulous! Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 10 2013, 9:07pm
    Where are the kicking boots?! :) CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 10 2013, 8:24pm
        Oops! I forgot LeGuin CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 10 2013, 8:27pm
            I would call her the American Tolkien too Annael Send a private message to Annael May 11 2013, 5:00pm
                a daughter named... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 11 2013, 5:04pm
        World creation? Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone May 10 2013, 8:40pm
        world creation vs. prose Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 10 2013, 8:57pm
            compare and contrast Tolkien and Martin... noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme May 11 2013, 9:33am
                About the cute ideograms on the library book spines squire Send a private message to squire May 11 2013, 12:00pm
                    Cute ideograms on library book spines noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme May 11 2013, 1:57pm
                nowimė, hallo! : ) Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 11 2013, 12:48pm
                It's all one because Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 11 2013, 12:52pm
                    Speculative fiction noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme May 11 2013, 2:10pm
                re martin's graphic sex propelling plot Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 11 2013, 12:54pm
                    S& V in GoT noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme May 11 2013, 1:49pm
    Although I have not read Martin Escapist Send a private message to Escapist May 11 2013, 12:37pm
    one difference I see between them Annael Send a private message to Annael May 11 2013, 5:10pm
        Thank you. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth May 12 2013, 7:00am
            Yes Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone May 13 2013, 3:25pm
        Pace and complexity noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme May 12 2013, 8:15am
            that is interesting! Annael Send a private message to Annael May 12 2013, 2:49pm
                Complexity is as complexity does, and always has squire Send a private message to squire May 13 2013, 7:24pm
        Yes Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone May 13 2013, 3:32pm
        Thanks Malveth Send a private message to Malveth Jun 5 2013, 3:28pm
    Funny demnation Send a private message to demnation May 12 2013, 6:15am
    two very different authors elostirion74 Send a private message to elostirion74 May 12 2013, 7:03pm
    quote-ables? batik Send a private message to batik May 12 2013, 8:37pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.