Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"Every good Story DESERVES a Littl' Embellishment?"
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 8:30am

Post #1 of 45 (1543 views)
Shortcut
"Every good Story DESERVES a Littl' Embellishment?" Can't Post

All this... "Hand-RINGing..?".

All this... "It's Not CANON?"

All this... "That's NOT the WAY, I see it"

All this....... "If I made these Movies..?"

What we see
is what we get..
Bomby is Pleased and Goldberry, TOO!

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

May 13 2013, 10:04am

Post #2 of 45 (759 views)
Shortcut
WWSIWWG [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe we should have t-shirts made, Bomby.
Laugh

imin
Valinor

May 13 2013, 10:38am

Post #3 of 45 (709 views)
Shortcut
You could make two t-shirts [In reply to] Can't Post

One with WWSIWWG Smile

The other WWSIWWG Frown

This allows both sets of Tolkien fans to show their opinions, haha.

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 13 2013, 10:57am

Post #4 of 45 (667 views)
Shortcut
What does 'WWSIWWG' mean? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

imin
Valinor

May 13 2013, 11:03am

Post #5 of 45 (711 views)
Shortcut
From OP [In reply to] Can't Post

What we see is what we get :)

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 13 2013, 11:22am

Post #6 of 45 (652 views)
Shortcut
Completely missed that! Oops. [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush Thanks for explaining imin.

Move along. Nothing to see here ...

sador
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 11:33am

Post #7 of 45 (695 views)
Shortcut
If I made these Movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

No studio would ever back me with the resources for it.
And anyway, many fans would disagree with how I read the book.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

May 13 2013, 1:00pm

Post #8 of 45 (645 views)
Shortcut
I would agree IF [In reply to] Can't Post

it were a Little embellishment Crazy

But sadly Jackson went way beyond a little embellishment and into totally made up OTT territory several times. More times than he simply embellished.Unsure The parts that were simple embellishment I actually like. Too much embellishment makes it unbelievable which is why I preferred the LOTR version of middle earth, because IMO it was more believable. The creatures, the characters, the places seemed more realistic (not actually real), not every event was OTT, or so far fetched it was obviously a "fantasy" film which is what we got with the Hobbit AUJ.

I'm truly glad you found the film satisfactory though. But it was quite a bit of change, and made up OTT events compared to embellishment IMO Wink

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 1:21pm

Post #9 of 45 (658 views)
Shortcut
Bomby feels that Sir PJ was doin' a littl' Wink, Wink [In reply to] Can't Post

to his eventual detractors!
Early in the Film...
by having Gandalf
say that to Bilbo
in the BullROARer
Took scene.

Pete loves the Beatles'
so "Let it Be?"

Let it be, Let it be,
Let it be, Let it be,
Whisper words of Wisdom,
Let it be..."

Gandalf whisperd lots
of Words of Wisdom..
Bomby

Elessar
Valinor

May 13 2013, 3:31pm

Post #10 of 45 (574 views)
Shortcut
He did a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a few things that go off the rails for me personally as I've mentioned and beaten I think at this point but as a whole he hit the nail on the head with The Hobbit: AUJ. Still so pleased with what we got and I am very much looking forward to seeing part 2 in December.Cool

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 13 2013, 3:50pm

Post #11 of 45 (574 views)
Shortcut
So anyone with a different view from you [In reply to] Can't Post

is supposed to just keep quiet?

Obviously, what we see if what we get. It just so happens that not everyone likes what we got. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, but I find this post pretty rude to those who didn't and want to still discuss the film.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Elessar
Valinor

May 13 2013, 4:02pm

Post #12 of 45 (547 views)
Shortcut
hold the phone lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the post was meant to be rude at all. Bomby is just having some fun.Cool

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 13 2013, 4:03pm

Post #13 of 45 (531 views)
Shortcut
It sounds a little as if [In reply to] Can't Post

what youre saying to the disatisfied fans or viewers, is : your bla bla bla is nonsense. Sir peter knows best! What we see is what we get. DEAL WITH IT.

And i agree with imin, we need two versions of that tshirt

Wink

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 13 2013, 4:08pm

Post #14 of 45 (544 views)
Shortcut
I didn't say it was meant to be rude [In reply to] Can't Post

but it does come off as "if you don't like it, get over it".

I've not made it any secret that there are parts of the film that I love, but I still think I can talk about the things I don't as well.

Elessar
Valinor

May 13 2013, 4:12pm

Post #15 of 45 (525 views)
Shortcut
I didn't read it that way [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know what to say. I don't think there was meant that way or comes off that way.

There are tons of posts even still and have been several "what I didn't like thread number 758" about The Hobbit. There are plenty of chances to discuss what people didn't like. I wouldn't let it get your dander up to be honest.

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 4:41pm

Post #16 of 45 (515 views)
Shortcut
Bomby doesn't have a MEAN Bone in his Body [In reply to] Can't Post

And that is Tolkien Canon...

"..and at last on a night of rain, Frodo smelled a sweet fragrenge on the air
and heard the sound of singing that came over the water.

And then it seemed to him that as in his dream IN.. the house of Bombadil,
the grey-rain curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back,
and he beheld white shores and beyond
them a far green country
under a swift sunrise."

Darling Goldberry! your Bomby
is here and
Forever....

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

May 13 2013, 4:52pm

Post #17 of 45 (506 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

there are parts of AUJ that I think are fantastic which have some simple embellishment, but still stuck to the book overall. Those parts I found wonderful and totally loved them. I just think those parts were far and few between all the OTT stuff and made up stuff that they kind of got lost in the shuffle. I know there is no changing what was done to the material from the Hobbit and what it was changed into for the Hobbit AUJ. I just can't call what was done embellishment since much of the events were changed to be some OTT spectacle far removed from the way the story reads in the book. I think an adaptation should be an accurate representation of the source material with minor changes or enhancements to make it fit the visual medium, not major changes and rewriting that change the story into something its not. Unsure

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 5:11pm

Post #18 of 45 (504 views)
Shortcut
Some take the High Road, some take the Low Road to Erebor [In reply to] Can't Post

"All you have to deside
is which Road?
of the TWO
that are...
given to
you?"

Bomby perfers the High Road?
The View is Better..
"Love is all there is..."
Bomby

Eleniel
Grey Havens

May 13 2013, 5:23pm

Post #19 of 45 (474 views)
Shortcut
I'm afraid we got far more than a little embellishment... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cate Blanchett says in the "A Hobbit's Tale" video, "The wonderful thing about Pete and his team is that they make it The Hobbit AND something else...."

Of course, this is the PJ who goes on to say in the same video that "The Hobbit was almost a lifetime's work for Tolkien..."

It's no wonder he never finished The Silmarillion, then! Wink

http://youtu.be/3Jshdw8TxRU

[Relevant part starts around 16:30 in...]

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on May 13 2013, 5:25pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 13 2013, 5:23pm

Post #20 of 45 (478 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I still think ending at the eagles was far too soon. I'm currently reading the book to my little brother and sister, and it's amazing how simple and light the story is. I would have loved for the film to find that tone more often. It did it perfectly during the Good Morning scene and the unexpected party, and to a lesser extent in the trolls scene. Riddles was also pretty good. I'd have loved for the rest of the film to be at a similar standard.

I think DOS will be better simply because the story itself gets more like the LOTR tone they're searching for. I expect a much more even tone throughout the film. I also think that with a year to work on it (rather than just 6 months like AUJ (after the trilogy announcement)) will make it a better film.

jtarkey
Rohan

May 13 2013, 5:53pm

Post #21 of 45 (470 views)
Shortcut
If you were talking about the LOTR trilogy, I would agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Just because the changes that were made in those films were warranted most of the time, and made sense in translating a very larger story to the screen. My problem with AUJ is that the changes made to the text were not made to make a better film. They were made to make a longer, more action packed film and it just didn't work at all IMO.

I'm all for changes if it's going to make a film more enjoyable, and I don't hold Tolkien as sacred as most people do. But half baked, and rushed CGI villains, ridiculous bunny sled chases, and completely altered/made up history just don't seem like the kind of things that were done for the better of the film.

I still can't believe they actually gave Radagast that sled. You think at least one person in the production would have been like "you know PJ, you did a great job with LOTR, but don't you think this is going a little too far?".

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 13 2013, 6:10pm

Post #22 of 45 (454 views)
Shortcut
Bunny sled [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, I have my fair share of qualms with the film, but I actually like the bunny sled. It's the same sort of whimsy that I imagine when reading the book. Now, I don't like the CGI fest with the warg chase, but I do like it when Radagast is in Mirkwood and running from Dol Guldor.

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 6:22pm

Post #23 of 45 (451 views)
Shortcut
Jus' Whistle ...a Happy Hobbit Tune? [In reply to] Can't Post

The "Shire Theme" works...
Perfectlly..
fur Bomby

All of THIZZ?
will have to be held
on Hold?

Until we get the Extended Version
What? in 4 months..

Much of the Flotsum&Jetsom
here is...
That.

BombyBadASS!

Fàfnir
Rohan

May 13 2013, 6:38pm

Post #24 of 45 (416 views)
Shortcut
I think it is stil not going as far and disturbing as [In reply to] Can't Post

the animals holding plates in Beorn's house ! I kind of hope they won't put that in the movie by the way...

Old Toby
Gondor

May 13 2013, 6:44pm

Post #25 of 45 (409 views)
Shortcut
Um, well... [In reply to] Can't Post

"I find this post pretty rude to those who didn't and want to still discuss the film."

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.