Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hearing Benedict Cumberpatch's voice in ST: into darkness...

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 13 2013, 3:56am

Post #1 of 14 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Hearing Benedict Cumberpatch's voice in ST: into darkness... Can't Post

i'm salivating over hearing him voice acting for Smaug!! its going to be amazing.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 13 2013, 6:15am

Post #2 of 14 (533 views)
Shortcut
I think this will be special [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen some of Benedict Cumberbatch's previous roles, and I must say that he does
bring a certain quality to a story. He will bring some sensibility and sanity to this trilogy
which will complement nicely the silly rhetoric of the other potentially abortive
attempts at nuance. Smaug will will employ
logic and common sense to speak to various degrees of truth and perspective. The incorporation
of this character could bring some credibility to the story. Smaug is one cool baddy who doesn't give a rat's turd about Dol Guldor. He
keeps it real. Kudos for broaching this topic of cumberbatch and Smaug. I think it's a homerun casting.

(This post was edited by Dwarvenfury on May 13 2013, 6:22am)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

May 13 2013, 1:23pm

Post #3 of 14 (407 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure his voice will be perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

While I do think it will be recognizable I do not think it will be like any of his other roles. I think his voice will be altered to make it more dragon like. possibly combining Cumberbatche's voice with Lion noises or some other larger type beast. However they alter it I am sure his voice will be spectacular, his dialogue on the other hand I'm not so sure of. Hopefully they keep the majority of it from the book.

Timdalf
Rivendell

May 13 2013, 6:00pm

Post #4 of 14 (341 views)
Shortcut
You want condescendingly veiled threat? [In reply to] Can't Post

Then you hire Benny Cucumberbatch!! With just the right sauce of Oxbridge poshness. No odds that we will all be doing Smaug/Cumberbatch imitations for a decade+ after the movie breaks out, just like we have been doing Gollu,/Serkis imitations.... It's a winner!! Interesting how the villains PJ has cast have been Tolkien fans for life!! First Sir Chr Lee, and now B Cumberbatch!

Timothy Fisher alias "Timdalf"

"... The Word of God Himself, He, indeed, assumed humanity that we might become as God..." St. Athanasius of Alexandria "On the Incarnation"

The fear of the end is the source of all lovelessness. Richard Wagner's Letters

Saruman: Can we not have peace, you and I?
King Theoden: We shall have peace. (pause) When you answer for the burning of the Westfold. And the children that lie dead there. We shall have peace when the lives of the soldiers whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against the Hornburg are avenged. When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows, we shall have peace. PJ & Tolkien - "The Return of the King"

Frodo: It is a pity Bilbo did not kill Gollum when he had the chance.
Gandalf: Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? (Frodo frowns.) Do not be so eager to deal out death in judgment, even the very wise cannot see all ends.
Frodo: I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given us. There are other forces at work in the world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. PJ & Tolkien - "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 14 2013, 1:33am

Post #5 of 14 (230 views)
Shortcut
Probably not a coincedance [In reply to] Can't Post

While a person doesn't necessarily have be a fan of the the work they are acting in, it really helps if they are familiar with it, and even like it. They are able to tap into the story/character, they know it well, and bring an energy and life to it that a non-fan can't do. I think it's great that quite a few of the actors are familiar with the work. It really does make a difference.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 14 2013, 1:55am

Post #6 of 14 (228 views)
Shortcut
i know his voice will be different but still just hearing how evil/sinister... [In reply to] Can't Post

he sounds in Into Darkness.....my god he is going to be off the charts awesome for Smaug's voice. i get goose bumps hearing his voice in Into Darkness thinking how he is going to be speaking as Smaug.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

TolkienLocked
The Shire

May 14 2013, 2:36pm

Post #7 of 14 (176 views)
Shortcut
I think he's pretty much perfect for the role [In reply to] Can't Post

He can switch from a soft voice to a really sinister sounding growl at the click of a finger. Now I'm not one for overly fan girl gushing over something but has anyone heard his 'Angel Islington' from the Neverwhere (written by Neil Gaiman) radio play from earlier on this year? Not only was he perfect, he went freaking psycho in a manner of seconds and I was left sitting there like...well dayum Benedict you've just made Angel Islington absolutely perfect.

His "John Harrison" was pretty much the same (no spoilers here) He went from a very convincing ally, well as far as you can stretch that word to completely horrible at the end of the movie.

Obviously I'm very biased because I do love me a bit of Benny C but the amount of things that man can do with his voice is just astonishing so, yeah, I personally can't wait to hear his Smaug, might just give me a break from Thorin's OTT majesticness...something I didn't really like in the movie (apologies to any Thorin fans out there)

Old Toby
Gondor

May 14 2013, 3:47pm

Post #8 of 14 (169 views)
Shortcut
Welcome TolkienLocked [In reply to] Can't Post

And I know exactly what you mean about BC's vocals. He's absolutely amazing in every respect. My favorite actor hands down. I really am looking forward to Smaug! And, I confess, I am looking forward eagerly to more Thorin and his magestic hair! I suspect we will start to witness his dark side very soon. Richard Armitage is another actor I love and admire.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 14 2013, 6:39pm

Post #9 of 14 (150 views)
Shortcut
It funny [In reply to] Can't Post

I only think of the hobbit when i see or hear him. Watching Star Trek this Friday will only get me thinking of a different movie! Not to mention he does the Necromancer's voice and motion cap as well!

TolkienLocked
The Shire

May 14 2013, 10:26pm

Post #10 of 14 (125 views)
Shortcut
I did like Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

His hair was certainly very majestic :) I guess I can see why they made him so majestic in the films though - a precursor to what is coming I suppose but I think a lot of fans who haven't read the books will be shocked.

Oh I do love Richard in most of the things I've seen him in. I think there was a particular gifset of him on tumblr in very tight speedos so um yeah, damn... ;)

TolkienLocked
The Shire

May 14 2013, 10:30pm

Post #11 of 14 (121 views)
Shortcut
Ooo I know ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

By the way STID is amazing. I actually bawled my eyes out in so many places, I think coming out of it I was so overwhelmed by the sheer brilliance of it that I couldn't contain myself (I did that everytime I saw The Hobbit and LOTR films too) but yes, I really think you will enjoy it :D

I remember sitting in the cinema with my boyfriend the second time I saw The Hobbit and the Necromancer seen came up and I clutched his arm and said "OMG that's BENNY C" and he didn't believe me until I showed him online afterwards that it was him. You could kind of tell from the way he stands though, like when he's having pictures taken he sort of stands with his arms a tiny bit outwards and the shape of his body was pretty much the same. Maybe I just payed wayyy too much attention to that bit but you know...

Old Toby
Gondor

May 14 2013, 10:34pm

Post #12 of 14 (122 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Maybe I just payed wayyy too much attention to that bit but you know... "

Yup, I'm with you there!Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

TolkienLocked
The Shire

May 14 2013, 10:52pm

Post #13 of 14 (121 views)
Shortcut
I can't help my self when it comes to the Cumberlord [In reply to] Can't Post

You think that was bad you should have seen me watching STID, my tongue was practically rolling down my shirt :D

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 15 2013, 2:40am

Post #14 of 14 (111 views)
Shortcut
oh same here [In reply to] Can't Post

its going to be interesting how they do the necromancer in the next films, the fact that he is going to be speaking is very interesting.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.