Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The random Bombur thread

MaeBeth
Bree

May 13 2013, 2:10am

Post #1 of 15 (673 views)
Shortcut
The random Bombur thread Can't Post

The poor guy didn't get much screentime. He got even less lines. But he does have some unique fighting skills! In goblintown, I noticed he used his stomach to knock a goblin (or was it two?) off the bridge. I have hereby dubbed this move:

Bomburs' Bodacious Buddha Belly Bump Attack!

Then later, he's covered in goblins, so he does this Mario-style 'ground pound'. Hehe, that makes Bofur LuigiLaugh anyway, I thought it'd be nice to show some Bombur Love!

For you & I, there's a new land (Angels that fly)
Sanctuary, my sanctuary yeah
Where fears & lies melt away (Musical tide)
What's left of me, what's left of me now

Kaede
Rivendell

May 13 2013, 1:42pm

Post #2 of 15 (291 views)
Shortcut
Gotta be a challenge [In reply to] Can't Post

For Stephen Hunter to act past all the prosthetics, yet he manages. Just after the escape from Goblintown...during Bilbo's "you don't have a home" speech, Bombur responds with such a longing expression! In the Trollshaw scene, right after Kili slides under the troll and turns around to jab him, Bombur's in the background wielding the troll's extra-large makeshift fork-thing. (LOL, always the cooking implement for a weapon.)

dik-dik
Lorien

May 13 2013, 2:42pm

Post #3 of 15 (269 views)
Shortcut
I've never noticed that one. ^ ^ [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The poor guy didn't get much screentime. He got even less lines. But he does have some unique fighting skills! In goblintown, I noticed he used his stomach to knock a goblin (or was it two?) off the bridge.

Good catch. And I agree, I too am curious about learning more of Bombur. He seems like a nice character to me so far, so cheerful and yet determined and brave, and I don't recall him participating in the cruder forms of humour (*cough*belching*cough*); if he does, I'd prefer blessed ignorance. ;) Definitely one of the most Tolkienish Dwarves for me, if I ignore his hairstyle and non-beard.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 13 2013, 7:19pm

Post #4 of 15 (258 views)
Shortcut
As much as it annoys me [In reply to] Can't Post

That Bombur didn't have anything to say, it does make me intrigued: I want to know what the character's voice sounds like now (whereas I wouldn't have cared *that much* if he had spoken in film one). I quite like the idea that all the Dwarves will be surprised at him speaking when he wakes up from his dream in Mirkwood, as it will be so out of character for him to utter even a syllable.

I do wonder though about this though: Bofur had an Irish accent, and Bifur's was much more of a "typical" dwarf voice, with the same sort of gruffness as say, Gimli's voice. I imagine that Bombur's voice will be along those lines, possibly he has a booming voice to match his weight and to make him more comical. Or will he be Irish like his brother Bofur?

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."-J.R.R.Tolkien

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

DanielLB
Immortal

May 13 2013, 7:31pm

Post #5 of 15 (267 views)
Shortcut
As revealed in the WETA Chronicles Book: Creatures and Characters... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombur will speak with a Northern Irish accent.

Smile

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 13 2013, 8:15pm

Post #6 of 15 (229 views)
Shortcut
Ah ok, thanks for this [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to yet to get my copy of Chronicles II (Ordered on Amazon tonight, can't wait), and certainly hadn't heard about Bombur's accent before.

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."-J.R.R.Tolkien

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 13 2013, 8:33pm

Post #7 of 15 (230 views)
Shortcut
hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a big fan of those bombur moments. Such creativeness on the par of the film team and very apt, imo.
I think these various character contributions demonstrate that all members of the company are frontline.
There is no recourse in this expedition, and every member in the company will have to suffice in getting the job
done. brilliant.

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 10:34pm

Post #8 of 15 (211 views)
Shortcut
Bombur is Bomby's Buddy [In reply to] Can't Post

Bomby is Skinny so
Bombur is Oliver Hardy
to Bomby's Stan Laurel?

painjoiker
Grey Havens

May 13 2013, 11:31pm

Post #9 of 15 (203 views)
Shortcut
If you see the film with subtitles, [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll notice that he does indeed talk!
He does speak in the background on at least two occasions, even though I don't remember them as of now...

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 14 2013, 11:46am

Post #10 of 15 (212 views)
Shortcut
One line attributed to Bombur via subtitles [In reply to] Can't Post

is not actually spoken by Bombur, however, but by Thorin: it's approximately when Bilbo describes how best to cook Dwarves, and you can hear a background voice yell "TRAITOR!" Subtitles say Bombur, but it's very clearly Thorin (you can actually see Thorin say the word). I think one of Bombur's other lines -- if it's really spoken by him -- is in the Goblin-town escape; he says IIRC "Go! Go! Go!"

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

May 14 2013, 12:22pm

Post #11 of 15 (161 views)
Shortcut
I like Bombur's [In reply to] Can't Post

expressions as he squeezes through the tight spots in the secret passage into Rivindell. Hope we get more Bombur in the EE, and i hope he's featured a bit more prominently in DoS and TaBA.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 14 2013, 12:46pm

Post #12 of 15 (144 views)
Shortcut
The Bomb Bros [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bomby is Skinny so
Bombur is Oliver Hardy
to Bomby's Stan Laurel?

Ha, I can picture you together running through Goblin-Town...Bombur with his ladle and you with you wrench and gaffer tape swinging...Wink

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 14 2013, 1:36pm

Post #13 of 15 (137 views)
Shortcut
Funniest thing about C-Wrenches and Tape? [In reply to] Can't Post

C-Wrenches are "Bomby's friends"
"Lighting Trusses are
the Enemy"

One client asked if
Bomby had a knife?

My reply, "I'm a Stagehand,
we are covered in Knives!"

Don't ask about Staple Guns?
They can be
weapons too!

(This post was edited by Bombadil on May 14 2013, 1:39pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 14 2013, 1:58pm

Post #14 of 15 (139 views)
Shortcut
Once upon a time in a TORn Forum... long ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

5 Dwarves featured in AUJ
5 More featured in DOS
the Final 3?
...featured
in TABA?

Brethil
Half-elven

May 14 2013, 3:24pm

Post #15 of 15 (128 views)
Shortcut
Stapling goblins as you go... [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand where you are coming from Bomby, as there are soccer moms, baseball moms - but I am a Stage Crew mom! (Pockets and pockets of tape through the wash...)The bane of my son's existence are those big dance mats that the girls all love to use for the Talent Show!

Fili has that Stagehand knife idea down pat doesn't he....?
Wink

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.