TIME - March 1
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 4 2007, 7:27pm

Post #26 of 45 (897 views)
Shortcut
Only a few days or time references in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

that are true to the book. Bilbo's birthday on September 22, October the 24th when Frodo wakes up, and that it was 13 months from the time the hobbits left Hobbiton until they returned (September 3018 to October 3019).

The film starts out with Bilbo's birthday in 1400 instead of 1401 (as in the book), but that doesn't affect the chronology of the Quest unless you want to believe Gandalf's been gone a year instead of only a few weeks... which makes more sense. Otherwise, it would figure that from Gandalf leaving Frodo on September 22 to when Frodo wakes that Gandalf was supposed to have ridden to Gondor and return to the Shire then head out for Isengard and escape to Rivendell in a few week's time period... so we won't go there ;)

Other count-of-days references are:

6 days from Rivendell - Sam says to Aragorn after Frodo is wounded
2 days Arwen had been hunting for them.
In the book, Frodo was wounded on October 6.

40 days to the Gap of Rohan - said by Gandalf as they set out from Rivendell, but they never get there

4 day journey through Moria - Gandalf after they escape the Watcher in the Water

3 days that Gollum's been following the Fellowship after they leave Lórien – said by Aragorn to Boromir.

3 days pursuit - said by Gimli as they hunt the Uruk-hai who have Merry & Pippin There is a sunrise, which makes it four days from Parth Galen to when they met up with Éomer.
...Less than a day ahead of us – Aragorn just after Gimli's statement and finding Pippin's brooch. The Hunters meet up with Éomer and are given horses, which cuts Aragorn's calculations down by a day... keeps it at 4.

3 stinkin' days of eating maggoty bread – Uruk-hai when they stop at Fangorn and the éored attack. We don't know when they started eating maggot bread, so it really doesn't help our timeline figuring.

...Gandalf tells Aragorn that Merry and Pippin passed this way (into Fangorn) the day before yesterday.

2 days of no sight or sound of birds – said by Sam as they rest in the Dead Marshes. Doesn't help our figuring no-how.

Gandalf tells Aragorn to look to his coming at first light of the fifth day as he sets out from Edoras for Minas Tirith. "At dawn, look to the east."

Faramir talks with Frodo and Sam on the night they were captured by his Rangers in Ithilien. "His horn washed up upon the riverbank, about six days past."

Faramir tells Gandalf they he saw Frodo and Sam in Ithilien not two days ago taking the road to the Morgul Vale. Supposedly on the same day that Pippin and Gandalf arrive in Minas Tirith.

Saruman has Uruk-hai being born en masse and weapons being made by the ga-zillions when he say, "I want them armed and ready to march within two weeks." That's when he gives the command to burn the forest. Now... we don't know if he's giving that command in reference to fulfilling Sauron's timeline, or if it's his own private agenda.

The morning after Pippin looks into the Palantír, Gandalf and he ride for Minas Tirith from Edoras. "Three day's ride as the Nazgûl flies."

After the beacons of Minas Tirith are lit, Théoden rallies his army and gives Gamling the order to take 2 days to muster the Rohirrim at Dunharrow. That on the third day, they ride for Gondor.

On that third day after the beacons are lit, the Rohirrim are leaving for Minas Tirith when Merry is ordered to stay behind. "It is a three day gallop to Minas Tirith and none of my riders can bear you as a burden." So 6 days since the beacons were lit and Gandalf arrived in Gondor, the Battle of Pelennor begins.

At Dunharrow (two days after the beacons were lit), Elrond tells Aragorn the Corsairs will reach Minas Tirith in 2 days. I guess we can figure the ships are timed to arrive the same day as the Battle of Pelennor... which happens anyway.
"Thirteen months to the day, since Gandalf sent us on our long journey, we found ourselves looking upon a familiar site. We were home."

It'll be fun to try and figure out some of the timelines ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 4 2007, 7:38pm

Post #27 of 45 (915 views)
Shortcut
The Ents go marching four-by-four [In reply to] Can't Post

Hroom-hoom, Hoom-hoom
The Ents go marching four-by-four, Hroom-hoom, Hroom-hoom
They stand around and chip at rock
with wizard and worm suff'ring water block.
So we wait for the riders as we eat... and we drink... and we smoke... and we hummmm-roommm-hoom-dum-dee-doom...

sample sample

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 4 2007, 9:08pm

Post #28 of 45 (896 views)
Shortcut
"I look out to see the dawn... [In reply to] Can't Post

...You do not see your peril". 'So great a power and royalty was revealed in Aragorn, as he stood there...'

It seems after all those long years in the wild that this ranger did to seek the happenings throughout and defend that freedom in Middle-earth which was close to his heart , now stands steadfast and undaunted upon that wall...and just ready, likened to Anduril, once hidden, glitters unsheathed.
This scene gives me goosebumps all over which ends in the shiver.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

The magnificent beech

Urambo Tauro
Rivendell

Mar 5 2007, 1:22am

Post #29 of 45 (884 views)
Shortcut
Whoops [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't think of that-- the clues given in dialogue, I mean. Thanks for pointing that out!

Taking those clues into account, (just a quick guess-timation) it could take roughly 2 months from Frodo leaving Bag End to The Breaking of the Fellowship.

I figure:
~2 weeks from Hobbiton to Rivendell (1/2 the time of the book)
~4 weeks from Rivendell to Lórien (which is fairly accurate to the book)
From Lórien to the Breaking -- it's hard to determine (only one night scene and some "passage of time" editing work), but in the book, it's about 2 weeks

So, the time of the journey in TFotR is already far longer than my original guess of the overall Quest. And this little guess-timation assumes that the Fellowship is in a hurry, (rather than in the book, where they spend 2 months in Rivendell and ~1 month in Lórien)!

Wow, those spoken clues are not to be overlooked at all!
Good eye, Gramma! (or should I say Great Eye? Wink)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5 2007, 9:50am

Post #30 of 45 (910 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

March 5, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Théoden reaches Isengard at noon.
(from the appendices)
..."The king and all his company sat silent on their horses, marvelling, perceiving that the power of Saruman was overthrown; but how they could not guess. And now they turned their eyes towards the archway and the ruined gates. There they saw close beside them a great rubble-heap; and suddenly they were aware of two small figures lying on it at their ease, grey-clad, hardly to be seen among the stones. There were bottles and bowls and platters laid beside them, as if they had just eaten well, and now rested from their labour. One seemed asleep, the other, with crossed legs and arms behind his head, leaned back against a broken rock and sent from his mouth long wisps and little rings of thin blue smoke.

...For a moment Théoden and Éomer and all his men stared at them in wonder. Amid all the wreck of Isengard this seemed to them the strangest sight. But before the king could speak, the small smoke-breathing figure became suddenly aware of them, as they sat there silent on the edge of the mist. He sprang to his feet. A young man he looked, or like one, though not much more than half a man in height; his head of brown curling hair was uncovered, but he was clad in a travel-stained cloak of the same hue and shape as the companions of Gandalf had worn when they rode to Edoras. He bowed very low, putting his hand upon his breast. Then, seeming not to observe the wizard and his friends, he turned to Éomer and the king.
...'Welcome, my lords, to Isengard!' he said. 'We are the door-wardens. Meriadoc, son of Saradoc is my name; and my companion, who, alas! is overcome with weariness'—here he gave the other a dig with his foot—'is Peregrin, son of Paladin, of the house of Took. Far in the North is our home. The Lord Saruman is within; but at the moment he is closeted with one Wormtongue, or, doubtless he would be here to welcome such honourable guests.'"

2. Parley with Saruman in Orthanc.
(from the appendices)
..."'Saruman, Saruman!' said Gandalf still laughing. 'Saruman, you missed your path in life. You should have been the king's jester and earned your bread, and stripes too, by mimicking his counsellors. Ah me!' he paused, getting the better of his mirth. 'Understand one another? I fear I am beyond your comprehension. But you, Saruman, I understand now too well...'"

..."'Saruman!' he cried, and his voice grew in power and authority. 'Behold, I am not Gandalf the Grey, whom you betrayed. I am Gandalf the White, who has returned from death. You have no colour now, and I cast you from the order and from the Council.'
...He raised his hand, and spoke slowly in a clear cold voice. 'Saruman, your staff is broken.' There was a crack, and the staff split asunder in Saruman's hand, and the head of it fell down at Gandalf's feet. 'Go!' said Gandalf. With a cry Saruman fell back and crawled away."

3. Pippin steals the palantír.
(not in the appendices)
..."'You idiotic fool!' Pippin muttered to himself. 'You're going to get yourself into frightful trouble. Put it back quick!' But he found now that his knees quaked, and he did not dare to go near enough to the wizard to reach the bundle. 'I'll never get it back now without waking him,' he thought, 'not till I'm a bit calmer. So I may as well have a look first….'

...At first the globe was dark, black as jet, with the moonlight gleaming on its surface. Then there came a faint glow and stir in the heart of it, and it held his eyes, so that now he could not look away. Soon all the inside seemed on fire; the ball was spinning, or the lights within were revolving. Suddenly the lights went out. He gave a gasp and struggled; but he remained bent, clasping the ball with both hands. Closer and closer he bent, and then became rigid; his lips moved soundlessly for a while. Then with a strangled cry he fell back and lay still.
...The cry was piercing. The guards lept down from the banks. All the camp was soon astir.
...'So this is the thief!' said Gandalf. Hastily he cast his cloak over the globe where it lay. 'But you, Pippin! This is a grievous turn to things!' He knelt by Pippin's body: the hobbit was lying on his back, rigid, with unseeing eyes staring up at the sky. 'The devilry! What mischief has he done--to himself, and to all of us?' The wizard's face was drawn and haggard…."

4. Winged Nazgûl passes over the camp at Dol Baran; Gandalf sets out with Peregrin for Minas Tirith.
(from the appendices)
..."At that moment a shadow fell over them. The bright moonlight seemed to be suddenly cut off. Several of the Riders cried out, and crouched, holding their arms above their heads, as if to ward off a blow from above: a blind fear and a deadly cold fell on them….

...…Gandalf was gazing up, his arms out and downwards, stiff, his hands clenched. 'Nazgûl!' he cried. 'The messenger of Mordor. The storm is coming. The Nazgûl; have crossed the River! Ride, ride! Wait not for the dawn! Let not the swift wait for the slow! Ride!'
...He sprang away, calling Shadowfax as he ran. Aragorn followed him. Going to Pippin, Gandalf picked him up in his arms. 'You shall come with me this time,' he said. 'Shadowfax shall show you his paces.' Then he ran to the place where he had slept. Shadowfax stood there already. Slinging the small bag which was all his luggage across his shoulders, the wizard leapt upon the horse's back. Aragorn lifted Pippin and set him in Gandalf's arms, wrapped in cloak and blanket.
...'Farewell! Follow fast!' cried Gandalf. 'Away, Shadowfax!'
...The great horse tossed his head. His flowing tail flicked in the moonlight. Then he leapt forward, spurning the earth, and was gone like the north wind from the mountains."
..."'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of you inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?'
...'The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven and of the Sundering Seas,' laughed Pippin. 'Of course! What less?'"

5. Frodo hides in sight of the Morannon, and leaves at dusk.
(from the appendices)
..."'More Men going to Mordor,' Gollum said in a low voice. 'Dark faces. We have not seen Men like these before, no, Sméagol has not. They are fierce. They have black eyes, and long black hair, and gold rings in their ears; yes, lots of beautiful gold… …Not nice; very cruel wicked Men they look. Almost as bad as Orcs, and much bigger. Sméagol thinks they have come out of the South beyond the Great River's end: they came up that road. They have passed on to the Black Gate; but more may follow. Always more people coming to Mordor. One day all the peoples will be inside.'
...'Were there any oliphaunts?' asked Sam, forgetting his fear in his eagerness for news of strange places.
...'No, no oliphaunts. What are oliphaunts?' said Gollum.
...Sam stood up, putting his hands behind his back (as he always did when 'speaking poetry'), and began: 'Grey as a mouse, Big as a house, Nose like a snake, I make the earth shake...'"

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2007, 2:44pm

Post #31 of 45 (879 views)
Shortcut
This may be the best description [In reply to] Can't Post

of what Hobbits are like, in the entire story - because we see them from an entirely "outside" perspective, as if meeting one ourselves for the first time. Not only the physical description, but the cultural as well! No wonder Theoden was so taken with Merry.

"...grey-clad, hardly to be seen among the stones": maybe PJ & co. got the idea for Frodo and Sam hiding among the rocks outside the Morannon under Frodo's cloak, from this image?

Heh, I can't resist:

..."'Mercy!' cried Tolkien. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of you inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?'
...'The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven and of the Sundering Seas,' laughed his fans Heart. 'Of course! What less?'"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2007, 2:48pm

Post #32 of 45 (876 views)
Shortcut
"water block" - LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great ending - this has been fun!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5 2007, 5:52pm

Post #33 of 45 (881 views)
Shortcut
*wild applause!!* That was fun!! :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5 2007, 5:55pm

Post #34 of 45 (879 views)
Shortcut
I think everything [In reply to] Can't Post

between Gimli and Legolas that are important to them they can only agree to through jest. Yeah... they respect what each considers beautiful, but they can't give in without a fight!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5 2007, 6:00pm

Post #35 of 45 (873 views)
Shortcut
Oh, me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially when you've read the passages before when the Uruk-hai/Orcs are shooting at anything that moves up to that point! For him even to stand there with his hand up without getting skewered is a miracle :D

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 6 2007, 10:39am

Post #36 of 45 (901 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

March 6, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Aragorn overtaken by the Dúnedain in the early hours.
(from the appendices)
..."When they were some fifty paces off, Éomer cried in a loud voice: 'Halt! Halt! Who rides in Rohan?'
...The pursuers brought their steeds to a sudden stand. A silence followed; and then in the moonlight, a horseman could be seen dismounting and walking slowly forward. His hand showed white as he held it up, palm outward, in token of peace; but the king's men gripped their weapons. At ten paces the man stopped. He was tall, a dark standing shadow. Then his clear voice rang out.
...'Rohan! Rohan did you say? This is a glad word. We seek that land in haste from long afar.'
...'You have found it,' said Éomer. 'When you crossed the fords yonder you entered it. But it is the realm of Théoden the King. None ride here save by his leave. Who are you? And what is your haste?'
...'Halbarad Dúnadan, Ranger of the North I am,' cried the man. 'We seek one Aragorn son of Arathorn, and we heard that he was in Rohan.'
...'And you have found him also!' cried Aragorn. Giving his reins to Merry, he ran forward and embraced the newcomer. 'Halbarad!' he said. 'Of all joys this is the least expected!'"

2. Théoden sets out from the Hornburg for Harrowdale. Aragorn sets out later.
(from the appendices)
..."A little apart the Rangers sat, silent, in an ordered company, armed with spear and bow and sword. They were clad in cloaks of dark grey, and their hoods were cast now over helm and head. Their horses were strong and of proud bearing, but rough-haired; and one stood there without a rider, Aragorn's own horse that they had brought from the North; Roheryn was his name…."

..."The king mounted his horse, Snowmane, and Merry sat beside him on his pony: Stybba was his name. Presently Éomer came out from the gate, and with him was Aragorn and Halbarad bearing the great staff close-furled in black, and two tall men, neither young nor old. So much alike were they, the sons of Elrond, that few could tell them apart: dark-haired, grey-eyed, and their faces elven-fair, clad alike in bright mail beneath cloaks of silver-grey. Behind them walked Legolas and Gimli. But Merry had eyes only for Aragorn, so startling was the change that he saw in him, as if in one night many years had fallen on his head. Grim was his face, grey-hued and weary.
...'I am troubled in mind, lord,' he said, standing by the king's horse. 'I have heard strange words, and I see new perils far off. I have laboured long in thought, and now I fear that I must change my purpose….' …He looked up, and it seemed that he had made some decision; his face was less troubled. 'Then, by your leave, lord, I must take new counsel for myself and my kindred. We must ride our own road, and no longer in secret. For me the time of stealth has passed. I will ride east by the swiftest way, and I will take the Paths of the Dead.'
...'The Paths of the Dead!' said Théoden, and trembled. 'Why do you speak of them?' Éomer turned and gazed at Aragorn, and it seemed to Merry that the faces of the Riders that sat within hearing turned pale at the words. 'If there be in truth such paths,' said Théoden, 'their gate is in Dunharrow; but no living man may pass it.'
...'Alas! Aragorn my friend!' said Éomer. 'I had hoped that we should ride to war together; but if you seek the Paths of the Dead, then our parting is come, and it is little likely that we shall ever meet again under the Sun.'
...'That road, I will take, nonetheless,' said Aragorn. 'But I say to you, Éomer, that in battle we may yet meet again, though all the hosts of Mordor should stand between.'"

3. Merry's moved to honour the King.
(not from the appendices)
..."'I have a sword,' said Merry, climbing from his seat, and drawing from its black sheath his small bright blade. Filled suddenly with love for this old man, he knelt on one knee and took his hand and kissed it. 'May I lay the sword of Meriadoc of the Shire on your lap, Théoden King?' he cried. 'Receive my service, if you will!'
...'Gladly will I take it,' said the king; and laying his long old hands upon the brown hair of the hobbit, he blessed him. 'Rise now, Meriadoc, esquire of Rohan of the household of Meduseld!' he said. 'Take your sword and bear it unto good fortune!'
...'As a father you shall be to me,' said Merry.
...'For a little while,' said Théoden."

4. Pippin rides with Gandalf and comes to Dunharrow.
..."…in the dawn he had seen a pale gleam of gold, and they had come to the silent town and the great empty house on the hill. And hardly had they reached its shelter when the winged shadow had passed over once again, and men wilted with fear. But Gandalf had spoken soft words to him, and he had slept in a corner, tired but uneasy, dimly aware of comings and goings and of men talking and Gandalf giving orders. And then again riding, riding in the night."

5. Frodo, Sam and Gollum approach the northern border of Ithilien.
..."Frodo slept at times, deeply and peacefully, either trusting Gollum or too tired to trouble about him; but Sam found it difficult to do more than doze, even when Gollum was plainly fast asleep, whiffling and twitching in his secret dreams. Hunger, perhaps, more than mistrust kept him wakeful; he had begun to long for a good homely meal, 'something hot out of the pot.'"

sample sample

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 6 2007, 11:36am

Post #37 of 45 (875 views)
Shortcut
Thump, thump thump, thump [In reply to] Can't Post

You two beat as one Heart. Just have to tell you, you two are very special people. You give so much.
Ok, that's it. Off i go. *whistles Peter Jackson hobbit theme on the way out the door*. Gad it's chilly this morning.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

The magnificent beech

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 6 2007, 12:22pm

Post #38 of 45 (893 views)
Shortcut
Friends in strange lands [In reply to] Can't Post

As good trackers as the Dúnedain are, trying to find Aragorn on the vast plains of Rohan would have taken finer skills: I can imagine Elladan and Elrohir leading the search with their keen eyes and ears! Isn't this one of the happiest moments?

Merry, bereft of all his Fellowship friends, does what I think is one of the things Hobbits do bestl: engage in friendship with those he's among! His offer of his sword for Théoden's aide must have been such a bright spot for the king in those dark days.

Sam and his desire for good home cooking! Not only would it be good for the stomach, but good for the heart as well - a "taste" of their Shire, so to speak!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 6 2007, 8:03pm

Post #39 of 45 (865 views)
Shortcut
There aren't many times [In reply to] Can't Post

when Sam sets his mind to what HE thinks is necessary... and he could probably sense that not only his innards needed good, plain hobbit cooking, but that Frodo was quietly wasting away. He could see it by looking at him.

That spot when the Rangers catch up with the Riders when every other encounter was either news of or actually trouble was a WONDERFUL moment! And it contains one of my favourite lines in the whole story... that catches me and I smile every single time. "And you have found him also!" Glorious! :D

Can you imagine his joy at hearing those familiar voices.

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 6 2007, 8:04pm

Post #40 of 45 (854 views)
Shortcut
:) aw shucks... / [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 7 2007, 2:52am

Post #41 of 45 (877 views)
Shortcut
A bit more. [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking down upon the sullen, hateful host in their mindless jeering, with pause of unknown reason, he reflected back in a lucid moment to the time of his mothers years of living alone in Eriador. He was saddened when she left Rivendell because everything of home was there. Elrond wished not Gilraen to leave. Aragorn saw her seldom because of duty. There were his thoughts to comfort her and felt her pain. With her words "Omen i-Estel Edain, u-chebin estel anim," remembered this day , he vowed to her in his love, enlivened, to breathe the breath of hope.

I hope you do not mind me joining the Fan Faire.

The magnificent beech

Elfmei
The Shire

Mar 7 2007, 7:41am

Post #42 of 45 (852 views)
Shortcut
Finally Found TIME [In reply to] Can't Post

Ho~~ I've been thinking
"Where would Gramma post that famous TIME in this new boards?"
Now I found it, after 3 days coming back.
*Waving both hands* "Hi Gramma!!"

To be honestly, after so many "years" away from LOTR, I almost forgot all those details.
Reading TIME and coming back to TORn, made all those memory flashed back.
Now I am starting to remember things, details, people and the story....
Thanks Gramma~~

This is Elfmei, disappeared from TORn for almost 4 years and finally found her way home~~

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 7 2007, 5:09pm

Post #43 of 45 (849 views)
Shortcut
Oh... very good :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

Urambo Tauro
Rivendell

Mar 8 2007, 2:30am

Post #44 of 45 (891 views)
Shortcut
Re: Parley with Saruman/Frodo at Morannon [In reply to] Can't Post

What a day! (Rethe 5)

This has got to be one of the most detailed days in the journey. About fifty pages; all to describe one day! Crazy
(I admit, I skipped a bit of it today. Since I'm following the journey, I merely skimmed over Merry & Pippin's re-telling of the destruction of Isengard in Flotsam and Jetsam. Already been looking there the past few days.)

Anyway,
I found a small discrepance. In The Palantír, Gandalf offers the palantír of Orthanc to Aragorn and says

"...alas! he(Pippin) has handled it and looked in it as should never have happened. He ought never to have touched it in Isengard, and there I should have been quicker. But my mind was bent on Saruman, and I did not at once guess the nature of the Stone..."

But, in The Black Gate is Closed, Frodo listens to Gollum's offer of "another way", and Tolkien tells us

Its name was Cirith Ungol, a name of dreadful rumour. Aragorn could perhaps have told them that name and its significance; Gandalf would have warned them. But they were alone, and Aragorn was far away, and Gandalf stood amid the ruin of Isengard and strove with Saruman, delayed by treason. Yet even as he spoke his last words to Saruman, and the palantír crashed in fire upon the steps of Orthanc, his thought was ever upon Frodo and Samwise, over the long leagues his mind sought for them in hope and pity.

So, at this moment where the Orthanc-stone falls down, Gandalf is able to fully concentrate on two different things at once.
(Boy, I wish I could do that.)

Mithrandir the Multitasker....

(This post was edited by Urambo Tauro on Mar 8 2007, 2:34am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 10 2007, 2:35pm

Post #45 of 45 (875 views)
Shortcut
*WAVES BACK!* Howdy Elfmei!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.