favourite quote?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

trqn13
Bree

May 9 2013, 4:13pm

Post #1 of 26 (2417 views)
Shortcut
favourite quote? Can't Post

our favourite quotes from any of the books or movies?

"Give me your name, Horse Master, and I shall give you mine"

MaeBeth
Bree

May 9 2013, 6:05pm

Post #2 of 26 (1901 views)
Shortcut
TTT movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe when Merry says: "But you're part of this world! Aren't you?" It really shows how he brave he is. The type (are there types of courage?) that really sets him apart from most hobbitsBlush

For you & I, there's a new land (Angels that fly)
Sanctuary, my sanctuary yeah
Where fears & lies melt away (Musical tide)
What's left of me, what's left of me now

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 9 2013, 7:14pm

Post #3 of 26 (1876 views)
Shortcut
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you" [In reply to] Can't Post

The wisest and most truthful words I have ever heard-and probably the wisest and most truthful words that I will ever hear.

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

Darkstone
Immortal

May 9 2013, 7:29pm

Post #4 of 26 (1907 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR: "They have a cave troll."

TTT: "What did you call me?"

ROTK: "Reform the line!"

Book: "Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless?”

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

May 10 2013, 2:34am

Post #5 of 26 (1867 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf, "Minas Tirith" chapter, LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Said to Denethor: "The rule of no realm is mine, neither or Gondor not any other, great or small. But all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are my care. And for my part, I shall not wholly fail of my task, though Gondor should perish, if anything passes through this night that can still grow fair or bear fruit and flower again in days to come. For I also am a steward. Did you not know?"

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 10 2013, 4:34am

Post #6 of 26 (1851 views)
Shortcut
Following Darkstone's method... [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR: "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass!"

TTT: "Rohirrim! To the King!"

ROTK: "Lord Denethor is Boromir's father. To give him news of his beloved son's death would be most unwise. And do not mention Frodo - or the ring. And say nothing of Aragorn either. In fact, it's better if you don't speak at all."

Book: "Begone, foul dwimmerlaik!"

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elutherian
Rohan

May 10 2013, 5:22am

Post #7 of 26 (1866 views)
Shortcut
Can't remember any particular book passages, but as for the films.... [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR: "It is a strange thing that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing."

TTT: "Its like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, its only a passing thing, a shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer! Those were the stories that stayed with you, That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why."

ROTK: "Arise, Arise Riders of Theoden! Spears shall be shaken! Shields shall be splintered! A sword day! A red day! Er, the sun rises! Ride Now! RIDE NOW! Ride for Ruin, and the world's ending!!! DEATH!!!! DEATH!!!!! DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!"

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

RangerLady23
Lorien

May 10 2013, 6:34pm

Post #8 of 26 (1882 views)
Shortcut
Well from the movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have to be...
Boromir- "Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The white tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, It's banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?"
Aragorn- "I have seen the White City. Long ago."
Boromir- "One day, our paths will lead us there and the Tower Guard shall take up the call:the Lords of Gondor have returned!"
I love the wistfulness in Boromir's voice and the look on Aragorn's face as Boromir describes the White City. Very powerful.
From the book which I don't have handy {GASP} it is the scene in the Houses of healing where after Merry wakes up he says that if Strider will provide it he would like a nice smoke and I love Aragorn's response that that was not why he had ridden and fought for so long. Brilliant!

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 10 2013, 8:04pm

Post #9 of 26 (1803 views)
Shortcut
Love Sam's monologue about the great stories [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's one of the best pieces of writing in the three films. I always seems to forget all the good little bits in TTT. I think it's because it's the middle chapter so I'm not automatically drawn to it. I'm much more likely to watch FOTR or ROTK.

As to the OP's question about favorite quotes, here are mine:

FOTR: "This task was appointed to you, and if you do not find a way, no one will."

and...
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

TTT: "If Aragorn survives this war you will still be parted. If Sauron is defeated and Aragorn made king, and all that you hope for comes true, you will still have to face the bitterness of mortality. Whether by the sword or the slow decay of time, Aragorn will die, and there will be no comfort for you, no comfort to ease the pain of his passing. He will come to death, an image of the splendor of the kings of men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world. But you, my daughter, you will linger on in darkness and in doubt as nightfall in winter that comes without a star. Here you will dwell, bound to your grief, under the fading trees, until all the world is changed and the long years of your life are utterly spent."

ROTK: "My lady, you are fair and brave and have much to live for, and many who love you. I know it is too late to turn aside. I know there is not much point now in hoping. If I were a knight of Rohan capable of great deeds… but I'm not. I'm a Hobbit. And I know I can't save Middle-Earth. I just want to help my friends. Frodo. Sam. Pippin. More than anything… I wish I could see them again."

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say,
the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Loresilme
Valinor

May 11 2013, 12:58am

Post #10 of 26 (1763 views)
Shortcut
A couple of categories [In reply to] Can't Post

from the films:

Humorous:

FOTR:

<<Sam: N-n-n-nothing important. That is, I heard a good deal about a Ring and a Dark Lord and something about the end of the world but… Please, Mister Gandalf sir, don’t hurt me. Don’t turn me into anythin’ --unnatural.>>

TTT:
Frodo: Frodo Baggins is my name and this is Samwise Gamgee.

Faramir: Your bodyguard?
Sam: His gardener.

ROTK:
Legolas: "33! 34!"

<Legolas cuts the bindings around the Oliphaunt, it slips and falls off, taking the men with it. The Oliphaunt is rampaging, killing as it goes. Legolas kills the Oliphaunt with an arrow to the skull. As the Oliphaunt falls, Legolas rides gracefully down the trunk, landing in front of Gimli.>

Gimli: That still only counts as one!

"Delivery" or the "It just sounds so much better when they say it" category :):

FOTR:
Boromir: Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king.
TTT:
Gríma: His staff! I told you to take the wizard’s staff!
ROTK:
Sam: I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

May 11 2013, 1:38am

Post #11 of 26 (1779 views)
Shortcut
Frodo's [In reply to] Can't Post

How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back? There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep...that have taken hold.

I can relate to that so much

RachellovesLOTR
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 4:01am

Post #12 of 26 (1757 views)
Shortcut
reply [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are my two favorite quotes:

Sam: There's some good in this world Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for

Pippin: What about second breakfast?

(This post was edited by RachellovesLOTR on May 11 2013, 4:01am)

Tinkerbell
Lorien

May 11 2013, 7:31am

Post #13 of 26 (1804 views)
Shortcut
couple of boromir lines from the fotr [In reply to] Can't Post

"One does not simply walk into Mordor."

-boromir is trying to keep it real after that epic elrond speech. not being a downer at all Sly

"You were quick enough to trust the Elves. You have so little faith in your own people. Yes, there is weakness, there is frailty, but there is courage
also and honor to be found in men. But you will not see that."

-i apologize if the script written by the movie writers is not completely accurate, and i don't know if it is in the book, but I just think that Boromir put force
behind those lines and it's easy to believe him, imho.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 11 2013, 6:03pm

Post #14 of 26 (1765 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't get any better than this [In reply to] Can't Post

So it seems," he said. "But let us not be overthrown at the final test, who of old renounced the Shadow and the Ring. In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound forever in the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory, Farewell!"
"Estel, Estel!" she cried, and with that even as he took her hand and kissed it, he fell into sleep. Then a great beauty was revealed in him, so that all who after came there looked on him with wonder; for they saw the grace of his youth, and the valor of his manhood, and the wisdom and majesty of his age were all blended together. And long there he lay, an image of the splendour of the Kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world.

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 11 2013, 8:23pm

Post #15 of 26 (1726 views)
Shortcut
That whole passage [In reply to] Can't Post

From when Aragorn decides to die to the end of the tale is absolutely beautiful.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

elaen32
Gondor

May 11 2013, 9:44pm

Post #16 of 26 (1720 views)
Shortcut
So totally agree Idril [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to post this phrase, but you beat me to it! I'm usually in bits when I read this passage.

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 12 2013, 12:27am

Post #17 of 26 (1745 views)
Shortcut
I read it a weep every time [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was going to post this phrase, but you beat me to it! I'm usually in bits when I read this passage.

Such a beautiful depiction of the eternal nature of love.

Loresilme
Valinor

May 12 2013, 12:33am

Post #18 of 26 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

it was worked into the films so well. The imagery and words were as beautiful and heartbreaking as the written passage.

elaen32
Gondor

May 12 2013, 6:26am

Post #19 of 26 (1713 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and don't forget the music [In reply to] Can't Post

The score here is so beautiful, but the setting is sadder and more distant compared with the more lush harmonies of the same piece in the earlier Rivendell flashback sequence. Aragorn's path is still laid before him but now it is the path to the next world

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

(This post was edited by elaen32 on May 12 2013, 6:28am)

Azaghâl
Lorien

May 12 2013, 1:48pm

Post #20 of 26 (1793 views)
Shortcut
My favourite quotes [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR: Boromir´s death
Boromir: "I would have gone with you my brother; my captain; my king..." "be at peace, son of Gondor"

TTT: at Helm´s deep
Aragorn "Ride out with me. Ride out and meet them!"

Theoden "For death and glory."

Aragorn "For Rohan. For your people."

ROTK: Grey havens
Gandalf: "Farewell my brave hobbits, my work is now finished. Here at last, on the shores of the sea, comes then end of our felIowship. I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."

Book: Frodo: "I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 13 2013, 9:48pm

Post #21 of 26 (1675 views)
Shortcut
Well, if it's a quote from any of the books - [In reply to] Can't Post

“He is a man, and that for him and many is sufficient tragedy” - 'Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics' (p.18).

Rivendweller
Lorien

May 14 2013, 1:39am

Post #22 of 26 (1660 views)
Shortcut
" Reform the line " [In reply to] Can't Post

That line has always given me chills. I do not know if it is his delivery, the charged moment or the grim determined expression on his face when he says it; all I know is I get chills every single time.

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

(This post was edited by Rivendweller on May 14 2013, 1:48am)

RachellovesLOTR
Rivendell

May 15 2013, 2:09am

Post #23 of 26 (1631 views)
Shortcut
I'd say [In reply to] Can't Post

That the Merry and Pippin quotes are some of the best in the movies.

(This post was edited by RachellovesLOTR on May 15 2013, 2:13am)

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 16 2013, 9:01am

Post #24 of 26 (1621 views)
Shortcut
3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Wormtongue and Eowyn when he tries to seduce her -

Eowyn: Leave me alone, snake!
Wormtongue: Oh, but you are alone. Who knows what you have spoken to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all your life seems to shrink, the walls of your bower closing in about you, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in? So fair, yet so cold like a morning of pale Spring still clinging to Winter's chill.
Eowyn: Your words are poison!

Galadriel

Galadriel: The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true.

Galadriel: You offer it to me freely? I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this.
[starts to grow dark] : In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!
[she stops] I have passed the test. I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel.

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Jun 1 2013, 3:34am

Post #25 of 26 (1570 views)
Shortcut
So many to choose from! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see:

Frodo's harrowing line, "The Ring is mine!"

Eowyn's fearlessness, "I fear neither death nor pain."

Arwen's lovingness, "I would rather spend one life with you, than face all the ages of this world alone."

Galadriel's encouragement, "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

Aragorn's entire speach before the Black Gate, ending with "By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"

Elrond's despair, "There is nothing for you here, only death."

Sam's hope, "That there is some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for."

Pippin's humor (unintentional though it is), "Where are we goin'?"

Aragorn's brief, "For Frodo."

Merry's humor, "I think we might have made a mistake in leaving the Shire, Pippin."

Plus many, many more! I know, I really was supposed to put just one, but I pretty sure that's impossible!WinkSmile

"The Ring is Mine!" ~ Frodo Baggins

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.