Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Favourite authors other than Tolkien?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Elvanui
Rivendell

May 20 2013, 6:54pm

Post #76 of 83 (193 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and.. [In reply to] Can't Post

the concept artist working on the show is called Jim Kay and his website has some great stuff on it - I especially like the city scenes like 'The Tailor's Shop' Smile

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

SheHathaldir
The Shire

May 23 2013, 5:03am

Post #77 of 83 (182 views)
Shortcut
Cillian! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is so wild that you should mention Cillian - he has been my pick to play the Raven King since I first read the book! But I can see him as the Gentleman too. Who do you imagine as Strange? I've cast Paul Bettany and Damian Lewis in the past, but I think now I've settled on Benedict Cumberbatch. Or Tom Hiddleston.

Mr. Norrell is a tough one. I don't know if you've ever seen "Lost," but I think Michael Emerson would make a terrific Norrell. Alas, he's American, but I do believe he could pull it off.

I will check Peter Harness out on Twitter immediately. I can't wait to find out more, this book means the world to me. I'm so glad to have met another fan!
Laugh

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 23 2013, 8:58am

Post #78 of 83 (184 views)
Shortcut
Fav sci fi/fantasy authors [In reply to] Can't Post

RA Salvaore
Robert Heinlen
David Eddings
Terry Brooks
Robert E Howard
HP Lovecraft
Stephen King
DC Fontana
Michael Crichton

to name a few

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Elvanui
Rivendell

May 23 2013, 3:00pm

Post #79 of 83 (186 views)
Shortcut
Wow.. [In reply to] Can't Post

that's crazy that you thought of Cillian too, albeit for a different character! Most people I know don't even know who I'm talking about when I mention his name. I'd settle for him as the Raven King too Wink I've also heard Richard Armitage mentioned as a suggestion for the Raven King! Think I could cope with that.

I love all the actors you've mentioned for Strange Smile Lots of people talk about Damian Lewis for him, and I can see it. I'd be overjoyed if Benedict or Tom were cast in the role, not only because they're both brilliant and would do a great job, but also because I live quite near Cardiff where BBC Drama is based, and could probably pop along to watch some of the filming. Oh my, can you imagine? I'm going to try anyway, whoever they cast - can't wait until things start moving.

As for Mr Norrell, one name I saw talked about is Derek Jacobi. I'm not sure how old Norrell is supposed to be but I quite like the idea.

Ooh, and what about Childermass? I don't have anyone for him but he's one of my absolute favourites. I hope they get someone amazing for him.

Yay I'm excited to have met you too! I could talk about this book forever Crazy

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

SheHathaldir
The Shire

May 24 2013, 1:34am

Post #80 of 83 (180 views)
Shortcut
Childermass [In reply to] Can't Post

Ooh, Richard could definitely play the Raven King, although I can also see him as Childermass. Childermass is also one of my favorites - so mysterious, with his Marseilles cards! (My other favorites being the Raven King and the Gentleman). When I originally read the book I had Jason Isaacs in mind for Childermass. Rob Collier-James has a kind of mysterious, menacing air about him in Downton Abbey - he might work too.

If either Tom or Benedict gets cast as Strange, I might have to make a pilgrimage to Cardiff myself! Which would be wonderful, as I've always wanted to visit Wales. (And all the rest of the UK).

Norrell's age has always seemed to me pretty ambiguous. I got the sense that he was not nearly as old as his fussy behavior made him seem - maybe late forties or somewhere in his fifties? But I could be wrong.

This has inspired me to get the book out and read it again. I'm already re-reading "The Hobbit" and "Unfinished Tales," but one more book won't hurt. Wink

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 24 2013, 4:37am

Post #81 of 83 (187 views)
Shortcut
hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

how about Brian Jacques? Cool

Elvanui
Rivendell

May 24 2013, 10:27am

Post #82 of 83 (183 views)
Shortcut
Oops [In reply to] Can't Post

I just googled him and thought, hmm ok, not an actor but maybe shave the goatee and put a wig on him and I guess he could be Norrell. Then I realised he died two years ago. And then I realised you were answering the original post Blush

Elvanui
Rivendell

May 27 2013, 10:10pm

Post #83 of 83 (176 views)
Shortcut
Richard as anything ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like Jason Isaacs too.

Yes you're right about Norrell's age - it's never obvious is it? If they're filming this summer they need to start making casting announcements now-now Tongue

I'm listening to it instead of doing a re-read - I got the audiobook. It's so well done!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.