Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Extra pick ups for Bree
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

May 11 2013, 3:08pm

Post #1 of 80 (2113 views)
Shortcut
Extra pick ups for Bree Can't Post

In a page called El Anillo único, it says that acording to french page Tolkiendrim they state that Bree material is gonna be shooted, so , do you have any info about this?

http://elanillounico.com/noticias/peliculas/el-hobbit/el-rodaje-adicional-de-el-hobbit-comenzara-el-15-de-mayo-y-se-filmaran-escenas-en-bree/?fb_source=pubv1

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

SaltedPork
Bree

May 11 2013, 3:54pm

Post #2 of 80 (939 views)
Shortcut
What could it be? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know enough about the books to know what this could be. Any ideas? Didn't Gandalf meet Thorin in Bree? Shooting extra stuff to put in AUJ extended edition? Flashbacks? I wouldn't mind seeing Bree again since we didn't get to see a whole lot of it in the darkness and rain.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

May 11 2013, 4:13pm

Post #3 of 80 (858 views)
Shortcut
The French page has nothing about Bree. [In reply to] Can't Post

The article on Tolkiendrim just says that shooting will commence on May 15th. It has no mention at all of Bree. The Spanish page says (correct me if I'm wrong; I'm pretty fluent in French but not Spanish) that according to their own "reliable sources" this will include scenes in Bree.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

May 11 2013, 4:59pm

Post #4 of 80 (828 views)
Shortcut
The Spanish page says... [In reply to] Can't Post

That according to the french site this is true, but I´ve been researching on the French site and I cant find anything related to BreeFrown

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Angharad73
Rohan

May 11 2013, 5:07pm

Post #5 of 80 (807 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I think Thorin and Gandalf did meet for the first time in Bree (it's in the Appendices of LOTR), by chance. They then met again in Ered Luin to talk it over.

So perhaps there is some sort of flashback to how the whole quest for Erebor actually got started? I wouldn't mind that... Gandalf telling Thorin that he would find the 14th member of the company and all that...

DanielLB
Immortal

May 11 2013, 5:32pm

Post #6 of 80 (760 views)
Shortcut
Yes that's right. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Spanish site" reports that the "French site" has confirmed that pick-ups will begin 15th May.

"Spanish site" then reports that their own inside source have said that the recent casting call was for Bree extras, and not for BO5A.

They then speculate what the scene could be.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 11 2013, 6:07pm

Post #7 of 80 (729 views)
Shortcut
Would Love to see Bree [In reply to] Can't Post

And this would help explain to the audience who have not read the books some of the dialog in the first 40 minutes of AUJ. Also Galadriel says to Gandalf that the Thorin's quest has set in motion certain forces we do not yet understand (or something like that). Perhaps a flashback to Bree would help clarify that remark.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 11 2013, 6:24pm

Post #8 of 80 (757 views)
Shortcut
it is very simple.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf meets with Strider at the end of TABA, he tells him to keep a watchful eye on bree and the shire as gollum is still lurking about trying to find the ring.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Fàfnir
Rohan

May 11 2013, 7:12pm

Post #9 of 80 (686 views)
Shortcut
We would have heard about a casting for Strider ! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is just a rumor, it doesn't make sense at all to have a scene in Bree in the two last films.

Is it possible that the extended edition might use scenes not shot yet ? Because that would be logical then.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

May 11 2013, 7:22pm

Post #10 of 80 (670 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily [In reply to] Can't Post

And I agree that a scene where it's established that the Rangers are watching over the Shire in the time between TH and LotR seems to be the most likely scene to occur in Bree.

That said, shoving the location into the end of TH sounds like the needless Weathertop cameo in AUJ.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Kimtc
Rohan

May 11 2013, 7:33pm

Post #11 of 80 (653 views)
Shortcut
Oh, you can just pull a Benjamin Button on Viggo and give him an uncredited cameo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

May 11 2013, 7:48pm

Post #12 of 80 (680 views)
Shortcut
Would it be possible to keep that a secret [In reply to] Can't Post

If they had VM return in a surprise cameo as Aragorn, he'd have to fly to NZ. He has many devoted fans who follow his schedule closely, where he's appearing, what he's up to, etc. If he traveled to that part of the world I bet his fans would be on it in a minute.

That is, I'm assuming it would be secret, because he has said a number of times there are no plans for him to be in TH.

I'm of two minds about this possibility. Yes, it would be cool to have Aragorn in a scene like this with Gandalf. But it would really detract from his introduction in FOTR, where he's mysterious and you really aren't sure at first and for a while whether the hobbits should trust him.

Of course, just speculation here :-). It's probably "none of the above", lol.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

May 11 2013, 8:38pm

Post #13 of 80 (621 views)
Shortcut
The easiest solution... [In reply to] Can't Post

...would be to simply have Gandalf conferring with someone whose face we don't even see. Just a Ranger wrapped in a cloak. That would keep the suspense nicely until Strider's entrance in FotR!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 11 2013, 9:35pm

Post #14 of 80 (569 views)
Shortcut
or they could cast a younger actor.. [In reply to] Can't Post

since he would be in his late teens/early twenties.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Loresilme
Valinor

May 11 2013, 9:58pm

Post #15 of 80 (572 views)
Shortcut
I used to have a different opinion about this [In reply to] Can't Post

At one time my knee-jerk reaction would have been to say I'd rather have no Aragorn in TH than have him played by a different actor. However, I'm not going to say that now. Because there could be out there, some young talented unknown actor who is just dead on perfect in bearing and appearance to play a young Viggo/Aragorn. That is something I really enjoy about these films in general - that they don't cast all well-known players, at least, not well-known to me :-). So maybe it would be great that we'd all get to discover a young unknown and he'd become just as much 'the' young-Aragorn as VM is 'the' older-Aragorn.

Loresilme
Valinor

May 11 2013, 10:04pm

Post #16 of 80 (538 views)
Shortcut
That could work [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow ...I'm not sure who I'd more like to see in the Bree scenes: more Thorin conferring with Gandalf, or more Aragorn. Tough choice Laugh!

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 11 2013, 10:24pm

Post #17 of 80 (560 views)
Shortcut
Bree sounds interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bree could be the setting of meeting of Thorin and Gandalf, indeed. I must admit, I do
have reservations of any Bree footage involving the character Strider. For what purpose would the
involvement of Strider illuminate other than to initiate the search for Gollum? This could be a part
of Gandalf's investigative machinations when he's away from Thorin's company, before he heads to
the High Fells or something. It's an awful lot of conjecture at this point, but it's difficult to fathom
such an inclusion as Strider. At least the High Fells conjuration conceivably fits into the Dol Guldor
denoument they try to convey.

Is the Hobbit merely to be the vehicle and receptacle of various unfulfillments and potentialities transferred
from the Lord of the Rings? I suppose this trilogy could provide the framework for the adornment of such content.
But why if it happens around the events of the Hobbit, chronologically, why must it be put in the films? Perhaps,
the decision was made that there was not enough content for three films and had to retrieve more content from
the appendices. I think this could be an interesting addition, and certainly entertaining from a discussion perspective.

I certainly do like the look of Bree. Perhaps it will be part of a prologue for one of the upcoming films.

elaen32
Gondor

May 11 2013, 10:51pm

Post #18 of 80 (549 views)
Shortcut
A prologue set in Bree would be good, but [In reply to] Can't Post

the problem is the change of timeline which has been made for the films. In the books, of course, Gandalf already knows that Sauron is likely to rise to power again and that this is who the power in Dol Guldur is. He has been worrying about the dragon and what use Sauron might have for Smaug in the future. Later he has a chance meeting with Thorin at the Prancing Pony, who of course has also been worrying about the dragon for entirely different reasons. All of this would be a lovely prologue but for the fact the film makers have backed themselves into a corner by having Gandalf ignorant of the fact there is even a dark power in Dol Guldur until well into AUJFrown

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

dik-dik
Lorien

May 11 2013, 11:03pm

Post #19 of 80 (513 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps not necessarily so? [In reply to] Can't Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there already a timeline problem with Gandalf ignorant of Dol Guldur when he had already returned from there with the key and the map? Unless of course he got these at a different location. Anyway, for me it wouldn't be a big lapse in logic if Gandalf, knowing Sauron is just lurking somewhere to rise sooner or later, would wish to deal with the dragon in time, even without the Dol Guldur revelation.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

dik-dik
Lorien

May 11 2013, 11:11pm

Post #20 of 80 (514 views)
Shortcut
Awesome, provided... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that it turns out to be more than rumour, that they actually shoot this scene (/these scenes) and include them somewhere, and that those concern the meeting of Gandalf and Thorin that started the entire quest, and not e.g. an overnight stay during the journey to the three trolls. If that's really THE meeting, then it would be like a Tolkienite's dream come true for me. I've wanted to see that scene ever since before AUJ was in cinemas. Cool

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 11 2013, 11:23pm

Post #21 of 80 (488 views)
Shortcut
I kind of agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't want the Dol Goldur revelation to affect Gandalf's desire for the dragon to be gone. Why can't Gandalf want the dragon
gone for the sake of having the dragon removed with the immediate effect of restoring the displaced and wrecked people in the area?
If it were framed the other way, i wouldn't be as surpised if some cheered for Smaug the dragon in order to defeat the purposes of Gandalf.
The Grey Wizard should just do it himself then instead of sacrificing dwarves, elves, and men to bring down the dragon while he disappears to
Dol Guldor instead of helping against the dragon. Putting the focus on Gandalf's backstory with other additions to his character is making
the Hobbit out to be a conspiracy rather than a genuine journey or at least could obscure or dominate the journey aspect with bilbo and the dwarves.
it could kind of like be looking at one of those snow globes, instead of being in the snow yourself. but i think the film team has a good eye for this stuff so....
right?
afterall, this is about Bilbo. This is the Hobbit, nor the Wizard.

(This post was edited by Dwarvenfury on May 11 2013, 11:27pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 11 2013, 11:37pm

Post #22 of 80 (495 views)
Shortcut
Holms treatment [In reply to] Can't Post

why couldnt they digitally make Viggos face younger?

I dont like the idea of another man playing Aragorn in the same set of films...a child maybe...

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 11 2013, 11:56pm

Post #23 of 80 (476 views)
Shortcut
Please no. [In reply to] Can't Post

That de-aging effect is horrendously apparent to me, and it distracts me to no end. I hope it doesn't become a staple in movies. I don't think the CGI is ready for it.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Cirashala
Grey Havens

May 12 2013, 12:02am

Post #24 of 80 (470 views)
Shortcut
age [In reply to] Can't Post

wait, since the Dunedain have been gifted with thrice the age of men, will they, like the dwarves, age more slowly too? Aragorn in LOTR definitely does NOT look like he is 87 years old in the normal race of men!

If the aging process is slowed down among the Dunedain, then at the time of the Hobbit Aragorn would be little more than a tot I think, and I am pretty sure Viggo can't be digitally de-aged THAT much Wink or he would be an awfully big child! Tongue

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 12 2013, 12:12am

Post #25 of 80 (455 views)
Shortcut
Probably right [In reply to] Can't Post

but i prefer it to having another face as Aragorn in jacksons films...

Nicolas Cage....shudders...

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.