Can we get some love for Oin?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kaede
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 1:47am

Post #1 of 28 (1109 views)
Shortcut
Can we get some love for Oin? Can't Post

After reading Chronicles II: Creatures and Characters (Daniel Falconer), I now understand John Callen's Team Oin jacket! Cool (Was I the only one?) Page 84: Callen talks about Team Oin being the trio of himself, his stunt double, and his scale double--and they all have matching Team Oin jackets. (Apparently there's also a Team Dori.) There's a nice quote from John Callen who says that as one of the older actors, he found he didn't have the physical strength to do a particular Goblintown stunt--that he'd tried several times and then called in Ike (his stunt double) and Ike is the one who created that great "swinging roundhouse" thing over his head with the staff. So--I have been noticing Oin's character/performance a little more on the DVD and now have a fresh appreciation for the hard and excellent work of the doubles and how well they supported the older actors, especially. I also understand that there's backstory for Oin that we didn't get to see in AUJ...Oin as an apothecary who invented ointment and acts as the company's medic.

The hot dwarves get so much attention that I thought I'd post three prompts for Oin:

1. any favorite book or film moments for Oin?
2. what would you like to see of Oin in the EE of AUJ?
3. what would you like to see of Oin in DoS?

I especially like the entrance to Rivendell--they're all milling around while Gandalf talks to Lindir, then Elrond's horn blows in the distance, and Oin steps forward--quite alert. He may be hard of hearing, but he heard that!

...And if you need a glowering hot dwarf moment Wink it's p. 69 in the book. (What??? *Ahem* That is a perfectly accurate bibliographic citation. Honest.)

(This post was edited by Kaede on May 11 2013, 1:49am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 11 2013, 3:44am

Post #2 of 28 (666 views)
Shortcut
*light bulb* [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah....Oin....Ointment, hence the apothecary. Another pun on a dwarf name giving us character/backstory inspiration, I see. A heartfelt groan and *thwap* with a wet noodle to whoever came up with that one! Next thing you know, we'll be hearing that Ori invented origami. Tongue

I really don't remember anything particular about Oin from the book, but I did love that move Ike invented for the Goblintown melee, and I enjoy all the bits of business with the ear trumpet, especially that he's still trying to use it at the end of the movie even after it's been smashed flat. Laugh

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 5:09am

Post #3 of 28 (604 views)
Shortcut
See this username...that's the moment [In reply to] Can't Post

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

cats16
Half-elven

May 11 2013, 5:39am

Post #4 of 28 (540 views)
Shortcut
Haha love this!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 11 2013, 11:11am

Post #5 of 28 (517 views)
Shortcut
I liked Oin and want to see more of him [In reply to] Can't Post

He's my second favourite Dwarf after Balin. I love the bit in the film when he stuffs a cloth into his hearing trumpet to block out the noise of the Elven flute, and then gives a thumbs up with a grin!

Also the bit in Bag End when Dwalin pours ale into the trumpet was funny. And don't forget his awesome abilities with his iron-shod staff!

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

Maciliel
Valinor

May 11 2013, 11:44am

Post #6 of 28 (515 views)
Shortcut
and don't forget [In reply to] Can't Post

... he was one of the dwarves who showed faith in bilbo by betting that he'd join the company, even though they left bag end without him.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

elaen32
Gondor

May 11 2013, 11:48am

Post #7 of 28 (498 views)
Shortcut
Not exactly a book moment per se ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have always wondered what happened after the events of TH. He is apparently close to his brother Gloin, yet in FOTR we learn that Oin has joined Balins mad quest to retake Moria. Now it may just be that Gloin remained in Erebor to be able to mentor and train young Gimli. But when the fellowship arrive at Moria, Gimli doesn't mention that his uncle should be there with cousin Balin. When Gandalf reads the Book of Marzubel and they learn that Oin was killed by the Watcher in the Water, Tolkien does not give us Gimli' s reaction to this, other than a general grief. I always want to have more from Gimli at this stage. After all, we have already seen how horrific the Watcher is, and to not have Gimlis reaction to his uncle's horrible end always strikes me as odd.

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

dik-dik
Lorien

May 11 2013, 1:28pm

Post #8 of 28 (495 views)
Shortcut
count me in :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I like movie Óin! Smile Much more so than any of the 'hot Dwarves'. He looks and behaves like a Tolkienian Dwarf so far, and that's enough for me to enjoy watching him on screen. The backstory sounds likeable too, I do hope they include it.

In Reply To
1. any favorite book or film moments for Oin?

All of them really, except the thing with drink spilling at the unexpected party.

In Reply To
2. what would you like to see of Oin in the EE of AUJ?

Anything Tolkienian really... perhaps since he has this healer backstory, maybe he can check up on some of his comrades after one of their multiple fights with Orcs... Ah, I know. I'd like to see Óin insisting on seeing to Thorin's wounds at the end of the movie. The part where he just gets up after such horrendous injuries without as much as a stumble, it just never worked for me. A previous superquick checkup by Óin may not be very cinematically appealing, but for me it much increases the credibility factor.

In Reply To
3. what would you like to see of Oin in DoS?

I'd like to be surprised. Though if he just carries on as he did so far, I'll be quite content. Tongue

In Reply To
...And if you need a glowering hot dwarf moment Wink it's p. 69 in the book.

What's on page 69? I don't have the chronicles book, so would you mind telling me? I'm not following. Does that in any way concern this character, Óin? Thanks. :)

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Kaede
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 1:41pm

Post #9 of 28 (507 views)
Shortcut
Not Oin... [In reply to] Can't Post

But Kili, of course. Wink. Full page devastating scowl not seen before, though I bet there are scans out there on the Internet by now. I can point you in the right direction if you really want. Studio shot, not movie still.

I agree about Oin and Thorin's injuries...kinda wondering if we'll see some medic work at the beginning of DoS. Thorin is pretty beat up in that last AUJ scene. There's also Kili's "it's just a scratch" injury as they arrive in Laketown...could be some Oin help there.

Kaede
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 1:43pm

Post #10 of 28 (471 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

And he cadged on much faster than Kili...even without his ear horn!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

May 11 2013, 4:41pm

Post #11 of 28 (444 views)
Shortcut
Show me [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But Kili, of course. Wink. Full page devastating scowl not seen before, though I bet there are scans out there on the Internet by now. I can point you in the right direction if you really want. Studio shot, not movie still.

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 11 2013, 6:25pm

Post #12 of 28 (412 views)
Shortcut
We will see more of him [In reply to] Can't Post

I read somewhere that Oin is going to have to make a decision that might put him on the outs with the company, but that it comes right in the end. It has something to do with his medical skills. Can anyone shed light on this?

MaeBeth
Bree

May 11 2013, 8:25pm

Post #13 of 28 (400 views)
Shortcut
I wanna see more of him anyway [In reply to] Can't Post

I nearly cry thinking about him, Balin & Ori when it comes to Moria. In FoTR, those were just names, now that I see them, Getting to know them better...It makes want to see more of them. Oin is really cool anyway, I never heard the healer part before thoughEvil

For you & I, there's a new land (Angels that fly)
Sanctuary, my sanctuary yeah
Where fears & lies melt away (Musical tide)
What's left of me, what's left of me now

Kaede
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 9:21pm

Post #14 of 28 (366 views)
Shortcut
message [In reply to] Can't Post

in "your messages"

Syzygy
The Shire

May 11 2013, 9:37pm

Post #15 of 28 (370 views)
Shortcut
I really like Oin [In reply to] Can't Post

especially in the film version. Probably my favorite moment is when we first see him in Bag End as Bilbo is telling him to put the chair back and he replies "I cannot hear what you're saying." I always laugh at that part because I think he does know what Bilbo is saying but chooses to ignore him - it just seems like a total "selective hearing" moment. Aside from the parasites and his scene at dinner in Rivendell I also like the part at the end where he's pointing out the "raven" returning to the Mountain, and how it totally justifies Dori's eyeroll in Bag End when Gloin boasts about his reading of the portents. If you don't know a raven from a thrush even without being able to hear it, you might not be the best one to interpret bird-related signs...

Re: the EE edition I too would like to see him showing some concern over other members of the Company after their various skirmishes, and perhaps some brief mention of the techniques and herbs he uses.

I really hope he and the other lesser-appreciated dwarves get more screen time in DoS, but I'm afraid a lot of that time will instead be filled with elf stuff in Mirkwood so I'm setting my expectations pretty low. Unsure

I also remember it was mentioned in FOTR that he was taken by the Watcher in the Water and I think his hearing loss may actually play into that - he wouldn't hear a stealthy tentacle or two sneaking toward him so in that regard the film interpretation of his character may offer some clue to the reason for his fate.

BTW, if anyone was wondering where I went the last couple of weeks I had no internet, but it's all better now Smile

Kaede
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 9:56pm

Post #16 of 28 (371 views)
Shortcut
Bofur! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love your Bofur icon, btw! Sweet!

Kaede
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 9:59pm

Post #17 of 28 (352 views)
Shortcut
Hah! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Ori does carry pen and paper with him....lol.

MaeBeth
Bree

May 11 2013, 10:20pm

Post #18 of 28 (353 views)
Shortcut
Who? Me? [In reply to] Can't Post

Gee thanks! I can't remember where I found it...wait, yeah I do. Google Images > The Hobbit Bofur

Or somewhere on DeviantArt? Lost my train of thought againCrazy

For you & I, there's a new land (Angels that fly)
Sanctuary, my sanctuary yeah
Where fears & lies melt away (Musical tide)
What's left of me, what's left of me now

dik-dik
Lorien

May 11 2013, 10:52pm

Post #19 of 28 (332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I see. I was just wondering what important image I was missing, so I'm quite content with just being told. Tongue Thanks for the offer!

In Reply To
I agree about Oin and Thorin's injuries...kinda wondering if we'll see some medic work at the beginning of DoS. Thorin is pretty beat up in that last AUJ scene. There's also Kili's "it's just a scratch" injury as they arrive in Laketown...could be some Oin help there.

That makes two of us then. I know they're showing the Dwarves as an exteremely tough race, but still, warg teeth through the chest, mace to the spine (or head... I don't recall), and a fall into the abyss with a creature the weight of an adult hippo falling on one at the bottom, is beyond where I draw the line. Tongue Here's my vote for more realistic injuries in the future, no matter how minor, and adequate medical treatment.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

May 11 2013, 10:56pm

Post #20 of 28 (332 views)
Shortcut
Oin's great [In reply to] Can't Post

Really enjoyed John Callen's performance of Oin, really fun character. Love his parasite line to the Trolls. Another great moment is when he takes on the Goblins with his staff, showing he might be older but he's still got fight in him. I'm pretty sure he let's go of the actual staff ant one point and swings it around, above his head by holding on to a strap attacked to it.

A great Oin moment omitted from the film can be seen in the second trailer. He and Nori are running along the same boardwalk, a goblin climbs up to attack, but Nori smashes it in the face with his mace stunning it, and then Oin pokes it with staff and knocks it of the bridge.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Cirashala
Valinor

May 11 2013, 11:57pm

Post #21 of 28 (330 views)
Shortcut
characterization [In reply to] Can't Post

I am absolutely in love with the dwarves! Oin has a great personality and I would definitely love to see his character trait of healer come out, hopefully at Beorn's and throughout the journey.

I wonder if the "dwarf ladder" we have had a glimpse of in the DOS sneak peek has something to do with Oin attending Kili's "scratch"?

I also was wondering if Oin is involved in healing whatever injury to his hand Kili seems to sustain? (according to the cardboard cutouts that I have seen pics of online where Kili seems to be wrapping his left hand?)

We already know that the elves and Aragorn prefer athelas as a healing herb, but given the hatred of all things elf running rampant through our dwarves, I am curious as to what herbs Oin prefers. It would be nice to hear a bit more herb lore of Middle-earth Smile

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Lio
Lorien

May 12 2013, 12:36am

Post #22 of 28 (314 views)
Shortcut
Oin, ointment. Gloin, glointment? [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow it just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? Even if it makes no sense.

And Ori-gami is brilliant. Laugh

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Na Vedui
Rohan

May 12 2013, 2:10am

Post #23 of 28 (317 views)
Shortcut
Oin... [In reply to] Can't Post

....can play the teapot! When Bofur is playing his flute during the plate-throwing song, Oin is sitting next to him accompanying him on a teapot by blowing into the spout.
I like his grandfatherly look: woolly clothes and braces (I believe you guys across the water call them suspenders?) - and that quirky little tail at the back of his hair, which I read somewhere was inspired by a tribal style for unmarried men from an African culture.

Na Vedui
Rohan

May 12 2013, 2:26am

Post #24 of 28 (309 views)
Shortcut
Oin continued [In reply to] Can't Post

For the next film (I posted this in another thread a while back, but it wasn't an Oin-thread particularly so here it is again):
"The other thing I wondered about Oin is whether - if extra-strong-wine-of-Dorwynion is too complicated to explain in the film - he mightn't provide something to slip into the jailers' wine when they escape from the Elves. Perhaps they want him to wake Bombur in Mirkwood and he explains he has sleeping-draughts but not waking-draughts... Bilbo remembers this and... It could be quite funny - cue some nervous comedy as Bilbo tries to explain what he wants without alerting the guards; Oin is deaf, so Bilbo will either have to raise his voice, or slip off the Ring and pantomime what he needs."

Kaede
Rivendell

May 12 2013, 4:07am

Post #25 of 28 (297 views)
Shortcut
Oooooo... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great comic scene! LOL. Brilliant! Would be fun to see that....

I love Oin's back braid, too. I was thinking it had a kind of Samurai vibe, so thanks for the hint about an African influence. He wears it proudly, though I'm not quite sure how he sleeps with it...

And yes, we call them suspenders...we think braces are those things the orthodontist puts on teeth. Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.