Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
beorn crush bolg in dol guldur?

boldog
Rohan

May 11 2013, 7:56am

Post #1 of 11 (648 views)
Shortcut
beorn crush bolg in dol guldur? Can't Post

Winkhey everyone!
i remember reading someones theory for the dol guldur subplot, and they had a few very interesting ideas that id wish to point out.
First of all they mentioned, that instead of a huge army of elves or whatever race, it is in fact the nature of the forest, i.e animals that come and help destroy the fortress and renew it to its former place. Kind of like the ents destroying isengard to renew the fangorn. Possibly radagast and beorn due to their love of animals are a reason for this happening. And if beorn is there (which i believe he is) then I believe that it is possible that he will kill bolg there and finish him off for good, leaving the bo5a for azog to lead.
Also another theory, a bit in reverse of the previous.
I believe Beorn and Radagast will be great friends, (mentions in the book, and they are both animal lovers.) and will fight close. What if Bolg happens to kill Radagast in Dol guldur, before he escapes its destruction. This angers beorn so much that he seeks revenge and gains it in the bo5a, regardless if bolg is leading or not.
I know radagast shouldn't die and doesn't, but it is obvious that something like that is likely to happen to him, to explain his absence from the lotr trilogy, so these are just some theories of how that might happen...Wink

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 11 2013, 11:16am

Post #2 of 11 (255 views)
Shortcut
I would love [In reply to] Can't Post

To see the friendship between Beorn and Radagast fully explored, as it has great potential. However I'm really hoping that Raddy won't die. As much as it seems like a plausible thing for PJ to do I just can't see him doing it: you can't just kill off such an endearing character, let alone an endearing character who rides a sled of Rhosgobel Rabbits! What would become of the poor bunnies without Rad to look after them? Shocked

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on May 11 2013, 11:17am)

Mrredbirdy
The Shire

May 11 2013, 11:30am

Post #3 of 11 (252 views)
Shortcut
Beorn Killing the Pale Ork [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you think of Beorn (following the book) leaving Gandalf and company in his house and tracing their road to see if they really did kill the goblin king. On his ways he meets "Azog and friends" and kills the Pale Ork. Before finishing Azog Beorn learns from the dying Pale Ork about the necromancers capabilities to create undead orkies.

Well Beorn returns his house and tells Gandalf secretly his worries about the necromancer in Dol Guldur. (this gives the audience a reason for Gandalf leaving the company).

Bolg, the undead ork, (You see Bolg getting killed by Dwalin during the battle of Azanulzibar in AUJ) learns of his fathers dead and swears to revenge Azog and The Gobling King by killing the company and in particular its leader: "Thorin Oakenshield!"

Skaan
Lorien

May 11 2013, 11:50am

Post #4 of 11 (221 views)
Shortcut
I think Radagast dying won't be such a bad idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though i love movie Radagast, i think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to kill him off.

If he dies in this trilogy, it explains his absence in the LOTR trilogy. It also gives you a huge emotional scene in the movie, wich might convert certain Radagast haters into Radagast lovers. Take Boromir for example. If he didn't die, he probably wouldn't have so much fans of his character as he does now.

If he indeed dies, they'll have to make his death scene somewhat special though. Rather than seeing him dying in the arms of Gandalf and seeing him close his eyes (similar to Boromir's death), they should make this scene more ethereal like (he's an Istari afterall, not just a human).

dik-dik
Lorien

May 11 2013, 1:04pm

Post #5 of 11 (198 views)
Shortcut
I'm with Radagast-Aiwendil on this... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I'd hate to see Radagast die. But I agree with you that Beorn and him could be shown as being on friendly terms, and I'd love your idea with the involvement of forest animals. Much more acceptable for me than a repeat of Helm's Deep with batallions of Elves being cut down like flies. ;) Though I cannot imagine how the Necromancer's fortress could fall without Elven intervention, and it would not work for me at all if only the members of the White Council, Beorn and animals were involved. Experienced (and hard to kill, unlike those at Helm's Deep) Elven warriors are a must for me where the Necromancer is concerned. Cool Maybe Beorn could get furious at something less gruesome than Radagast's death, like the deaths of a few of his bear friends...
And I'd prefer Azog (whom I found rather obnoxious) dying instead of Bolg, while Bolg escapes and sneaks off to get goblin help, reappearing with his revenge army in movie 3.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

(This post was edited by dik-dik on May 11 2013, 1:07pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 11 2013, 2:05pm

Post #6 of 11 (182 views)
Shortcut
I don't want to see Beorn at both Erebor and Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

Of the two, I would prefer that he turns up at Lonely Mountain as Tolkien wrote it.

Of course Tolkien did write that Beorn and Radagast were acquainted and apparently friends with each other. It would be nice to see that play out on screen.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 11 2013, 6:21pm

Post #7 of 11 (129 views)
Shortcut
Love the Speculations [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope the screen writers lurk here as some of these idea are better than the ones they've used over the years. Beorn is clearly a match for Azog. In fact size-wise he is probably the only one who can meet him in battle with a fair chance of defeating him. I'm OK with that. It might be interesting to watch Beorn in bear-form battle the white warg (like Huan and wolf-Sauron in The Silmarillion) and then change back into human shape and take out Azog.

Would not want to see Radagast die. The sorrow meter is going to have its needle buried as it is considering what happens at the BoFA. No need to up the ante by killing off yet another character.

Lio
Lorien

May 12 2013, 12:43am

Post #8 of 11 (107 views)
Shortcut
Would prefer it if they stick to the book with this. It's a great moment! [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn's arrival at the BoFA is such an iconic scene and I wouldn't like to see it changed. But maybe Beorn and Bolg can still have a confrontation at Dol Guldur, with Bolg escaping to participate in the BoFA and Beorn following him there? Win-win. Wink

As for Beorn and Radagast, a friendship between them would be interesting to see! Their personalities are quite different so I think they can have some great character moments together. I hope Radagast doesn't die, though. I'd be all, like, NOOOOO! He's just so sweet and nice, he doesn't deserve to die. Frown

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 12 2013, 5:19am

Post #9 of 11 (85 views)
Shortcut
It would be a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

to see Beorn not get to make an awesome entrance and crush Bolg at the BoFA. A confrontation at Dol Guldur would be sweet though. Maybe Bolg is the one that tortures him in the "torture scene" that has been mentioned by PJ. This gives a good reason for Beorn to want to crush him in the BoFA. Plus Bolg had large bear paws on his shoulders to I think this plotline will be touched on for sure.

Bauglir100
Bree

May 13 2013, 6:48pm

Post #10 of 11 (29 views)
Shortcut
But Radagast appears in "War in the North"! [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is movie continuity, BTW, so killing him off in these films wouldn't make sense. The only way this would work is if it was a "Never Found The Body" or "Sealed Good In A Can" scenario, and could easily be reversed in the amount of time between "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"/"War in the North".

DanielLB
Immortal

May 13 2013, 7:03pm

Post #11 of 11 (38 views)
Shortcut
"War in the North" isn't movie canon at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Something that happens in "War in the North" doesn't automatically make it canon to the movies, and vise versa.

The video game is simply set within the story of the films. Radagast being alive in the game, doesn't make him alive within the film universe.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.