Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
one last roll of the dice?

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 10 2013, 9:10am

Post #1 of 4 (726 views)
Shortcut
one last roll of the dice? Can't Post

How do you think the Dol Goldur plotline fits in the context of the real narrative of the Hobbit concerning
Bilbo and the Dwarves? I think there is an interesting possibility that Dol Goldur heightens the main narrative in
demonstrating Bilbo and the Dwarves commitment to Middle-Earth in their fight for the last vestiges of the old guard,
so-to-speak.

I don't know whether the White Council considers the assault on Dol Goldur a success or not. Perhaps they don't know
themselves and are content to wait it out and hope for the best, but I see the White Council thowing in the towel after
Dol goldur. The White Council concedes the fight to the growing Darkness after this one last assault and passively hands
over the reins to the other folk to fight it out wherever they encounter it themselves. elrond and galadriel chip in when they can,
but rarely help from the front lines...radagast disappears or something, and sauruman joins the other side lol, which just leaves
gandalf and other characters like bilbo and thorin and the dwarves who still have a stake in the world. so the dol goldur plotline
could complement and heighten what bilbo and the dwarves are specifically trying to accomplish, which is not to save the world,
but to win their own objectives.

so the Dol Goldur plotline could indirectly slide the white council to the sidelines as their last abortive attempt before they concede
to the inexorable rise of the dark master, whereas Bilbo and the Dwarves push on yet and try to win their stake. the white council
quits and the journey yet continues for Bilbo and co. and thus restoring the story to the main narrative!!!! the wc star fizzles out lol, but
those so-called 'other' folk are the ones who continue their day-to-day existence!! long live bilbo and thorin and the dwarves! do you think
the dol goldur plot could be an asset to the main storyline in this way?

DwellerInDale
Rohan

May 10 2013, 10:13am

Post #2 of 4 (296 views)
Shortcut
No giving up [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think there is any reason for supposing that the White Council "throws in the towel" after the events at Dol Guldur. Rather, it seems from where they are going in the films that the evil of Dol Guldur will be driven out, and (as in the books) the WC will realize that the Necromancer was indeed Sauron. They will probably leave it go at that, not because they are resigned to the rise of Sauron, but because Saruman (who has begun the slide into corruption) will, as in the books, try to convince the remaining members of the WC that the One Ring was lost forever, and thus that Sauron can never regain his former power. This will then tie in with Bilbo and the ring, and set the stage for the events of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 10 2013, 7:14pm

Post #3 of 4 (172 views)
Shortcut
yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Though, I really don't see the Hobbit as an assist to LoTR, and I don't think
an attempt to bridge the narratives of the Hobbit and LoTR as though
they are one cohesive narrative is particularly helpful for either of
the trilogies. I don't think one can make it into something it's not.
I wouldn't necessarily think that the larger significance of the ring
has anything to do with the Hobbit. To stress its significance and
thus draw extensively from the repository of establised LoTR possibly
would seem awkward in this main narrative and frankly could leave some
audiences bored.

As it makes sense to focus more on the immediacy of the Ring's expediency
rather than its larger significance, so too does it make sense that Dol Goldur
serve the Hobbit trilogy and not merely portend to Sauron and the War of the Ring.
If its only effect was to heighten the context found later in the LoTR trilogy, I'd
understand if it just was left out of the Hobbit trilogy all together. LoTR narrative
had its moment and while this particular DG event happens within the Hobbit
timeline, it should've been incorporated into a flashback in the former trilogy rather
than mooch off the central theme in the Hobbit...that is, assuming, through mood
or something else, it fails to complement in some way the central Hobbit theme.

(This post was edited by Dwarvenfury on May 10 2013, 7:22pm)

Kaede
Rivendell

May 10 2013, 9:05pm

Post #4 of 4 (148 views)
Shortcut
Plot points... [In reply to] Can't Post

IMHO, the only real function the Dol Goldur subplot has to the story of The Hobbit (Bilbo and the Dwarves) is to keep Gandalf (and his peers) from arriving at Erebor until it's essentially too late to salvage Thorin's kingship.

It really has bigger impact on the overall LOTR storyline and I think provides us with context for Bilbo's story (Bilbo and the Ring) within the greater legend/timeline of Middle Earth. It's the gathering storm that will takes us to Frodo in the FotR.

At least that's how I see it. I'm sure there are lots of views on this.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.