Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Howard's Shore's Score for DoS?

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 10 2013, 1:20am

Post #1 of 9 (764 views)
Shortcut
Howard's Shore's Score for DoS? Can't Post

As much as Bomby loves Sir PJ
Bomby Loves... Howard MORE!

HOWARD... has brought
Bomby to his knees
... Too many times to count!

The Music ARC of DoS
...Jus' has to Glue this
Trilogy together!

Thoughts, Feelings...They All Count!
Everone gets to Be Right!?

(Bomby is Back
w/Goldberry overThere?)

Skaan
Lorien

May 10 2013, 11:27am

Post #2 of 9 (301 views)
Shortcut
I love music threads [In reply to] Can't Post

One thing that has got me wondering lately, is how they're going to do the music/entrance of the eagles in the Battle of five armies.

I was watching this lately: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoFtq8vAK6Y
And one of the comments (the one by Xpayne1 at the best rated comments section) claims the music at 2:16 will be used in the Battle of five armies. Now i'm pretty sure that person is just making stuff up, but if he indeed is telling the truth, it could make for the most awe-inspiring eagles entrance so farSmile. I fear that, even though the typical eagle theme is great, it could start becoming a little bit overused/clich├ęd to hear that tune everytime the eagles arrive. Having the music at 2:16 play instead could make for a much more interesting scene i think. Also, i think they should do a different approach with the eagles' arrival this time. Rather than just randomly popping out of nowhere like in AUJ and LOTR, maybe this time they could show the eagles flying to the battle, only for them to finally pop out of the clouds and into the battle while the music at 2:16 starts? Damn you Howard Shore, you're driving my imagination crazy!

Now, about the actual DoS soundtrack, i can't wait to hear the music for all of Smaug's scenes. I loved the teasers we got of his theme in the prologue, and i'm hoping that is just a small taste of what's to come during his attack on Laketown. I'm also curious on how they'll do the music during Bilbo's conversation with Smaug. In the book it is described that Bilbo starts feeling more and more uncomfortable the longer he's with Smaug. Maybe they will use the music to reflect this?

Mirkwood/Thranduil is also something i'm very much looking forward to. The same goes for Beorn, although i'm mostly hyped for Beorn's arrival at the BOFA and the music that will play there.

(This post was edited by Skaan on May 10 2013, 11:28am)

Magpie
Immortal

May 10 2013, 3:36pm

Post #3 of 9 (235 views)
Shortcut
You don't have to be 'pretty sure' that person is making stuff up... you can jump right to 100% sure [In reply to] Can't Post

and shake your head that people like to spout (looks for gentle term...) nonsense like this.

Confirmed by PJ. As you know eagles will be fighting on war of Five Army! And Howard wants to add more features parts together.

What does that last sentence even mean?

People are waiting anxiously for any drop of info from PJ. If PJ confirms anything... more people will hear about it than one lonely guy on YouTube. Rest assured, he is not 'telling the truth.'

lol.. the internet is always rich with entertainment.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Brethil
Half-elven

May 11 2013, 12:17am

Post #4 of 9 (153 views)
Shortcut
I have loved all that HS has given us to date [In reply to] Can't Post

So I have faith and joy that more wonderful music will follow. Am looking forward very much to some Mirkwood themes as well as some mighty Smaug music as well; and strong Dwarven theming at Bo5A (and some heartbreak after...). The joy of hearing Shire themes when the Auction is in full swing. Can't get more specific than that because much of the subtle stuff eludes me, but I love to hear it.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 11 2013, 6:05am

Post #5 of 9 (150 views)
Shortcut
Once PJ stated the Reason he hired Howard in the First place was his [In reply to] Can't Post

Creepy Music from "Silence of the Lambs",
David Cronenberg's "The Fly" and
needed someone who could Do
"Shelob's Lair" ...Justice...

soo....Smaug's theme and of Course
Mirkwood are gunna be
Terrifyin'..

By the time Bot5A hits us... with it's full Force?
Bomby jus' might melt.

lurtz2010
Rohan

May 11 2013, 7:06am

Post #6 of 9 (120 views)
Shortcut
I think there was abit of mirkwood theme in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

When Radagast is telling Gandalf about the greenwood being sick and the spiders there's that eerie music, I can imagine it playing while they're walking through Mirkwood.

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 4:03pm

Post #7 of 9 (110 views)
Shortcut
I'm most curious [In reply to] Can't Post

To hear what Shore composes for Thrainduil/the elves of Mirkwood. It will be interesting to compare that to the existing elvish themes of Lothlorien and Rivendell.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Brethil
Half-elven

May 11 2013, 5:17pm

Post #8 of 9 (94 views)
Shortcut
I did not know he did Silence of the Lambs... [In reply to] Can't Post

wow, thank you Bomby for that info! Indeed a creepy yet ?sad at times? sort of score in that film.

Yes I will be melting right with you Bomby. We have that excitement and valor of Bo5A (Out leapt the King under the Mountain...Beorn's theming!!!) to look forward too, knowing the whole time what comes next. That comforting Shire theming might be a needed musical respite to allow us to walk out with some dignity.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 14 2013, 8:28am

Post #9 of 9 (81 views)
Shortcut
Misty Mountains [In reply to] Can't Post

With a few variations of the instrumental version of this particular theme already established in AUJ,
might there be another version where the lyrics might be paired with the instruments in upcoming
parts 2 and 3? I don't know if that would work though.

I am looking forward to additional renditions. I've sometimes noticed that themes often pair with
other layers of music so that the theme occupies the underbelly of the music, so to speak, yet
is unmistakable amidst the accompanying adornment. It sort of conveys that enduring sense of
the spirit of the Dwarves of Erebor's theme amidst the vicissitudes and obstacles. For instance,
I wonder how the theme will play nearer the mountain or during the Battle of Five Armies when
the goblins try wrest from the Dwarves their newly reclaimed kingdom. In one of the battle's pivotal
phases, we could be hearing this Misty Mountain theme in one of its grander instrumental renditions
(maybe with some Dwarven choir to supplement it Cool), as Thorin and the company ferociously fight
to hold onto what they've painfully reacquired. In a way it's a summation of the everything happing from
AUJ onwards with its varying Misty Mountain themes in the moments where the Dwarves rally to
the challenge. Notice, though, how this theme seems to accompany the yearn rather than the final triumph.
And it would be the same if accompanying the battle, as the yearn is yet real in the threat of goblin invasion
and the triumph far from secured. Will the company ever secure their homeland? We will only find out in TaBa and
the themes keep us guessing. It could be interesting to hear new themes too though.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.