Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
From the home page: Could this be Smaug?!?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 9 2013, 10:54pm

Post #1 of 21 (1327 views)
Shortcut
From the home page: Could this be Smaug?!? Can't Post

Be patient as the home page is taking a while to load, but have a look at this story and photo. What do you think?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

architecthis
Lorien

May 9 2013, 11:09pm

Post #2 of 21 (614 views)
Shortcut
Dont think it's him [In reply to] Can't Post

In the film, you don't see that "beak-like" appendage in the closing sequence and his nostril seems to be much closer to the end of his muzzle.

The rest of him looks right though, so I could be wrong.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

May 9 2013, 11:13pm

Post #3 of 21 (576 views)
Shortcut
I don't thinks so [In reply to] Can't Post

his nostrils are flat against his face Smaug would have a snout I hope you guys know what I mean lol and I don't think he'd have a beak. plus it doesn't seem intimidating or awe inspiring it seems adorable actually lol still looks cool though

Brethil
Half-elven

May 9 2013, 11:37pm

Post #4 of 21 (591 views)
Shortcut
Had a very close look Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

Slowed it to 1/7 at Smaug. The eye ridge is very, very close...and the nose in he statue is beaked, which we don't see, we just see the flared nostril. But at the very end of the face frame before it tightens into the eye closeup it almost appears as if there is some ridging, dorsal and anterior to the nostril. *Could* ridge into that beak.

In any case he is one wicked neat looking beast. Would be thrilled with that as Smaug!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Moahunter
Rohan

May 9 2013, 11:49pm

Post #5 of 21 (557 views)
Shortcut
This could be the concrete dragon ......... [In reply to] Can't Post

that got some local (Wellington) news coverage recently. I can't find any links but it has no connection with Smaug or the film.

nobofthepony
Lorien

May 9 2013, 11:58pm

Post #6 of 21 (519 views)
Shortcut
I know this is obvious, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't suppose anyone could just call Roxy Cinema and ask? Any New Zealanders?

Olessan
Bree

May 10 2013, 12:24am

Post #7 of 21 (501 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it's the same design. [In reply to] Can't Post

I drew movie Smaug a while back, and went through every shot he's in frame-by-frame so I could get as many details right as possible and there'd be minimal guessing (I still got the horns too short though). Link: http://fav.me/d5yuhkx
I drew over a screenshot of when he's lying in the coins to work out his features in relation to the way the coins were falling: http://24.media.tumblr.com/...JY1rrsik5o1_1280.jpg

The differences between Smaug and the statue are pretty notable once you really have a close look. Tongue
The distance between the nostrils and eyes is quite different -- movie Smaug has about 2.5-3 eye lengths between nostril and eye while the statue has a distance closer to 1.5. The statue also has a beak and sunken/bird-like nares compared to the big fleshy dragon nostrils of Smaug. The scales are also in a markedly different pattern, and the ridges around his eyes have horns and knobs.

They do both have a central ridge down the middle of their snouts, but the statue has a more pronounced one that almost turns the top of the head into a triangle in cross-section.
Movie Smaug also seems to have long, thin horns rather than the solid crest that the statue has. It's just guessing, but the cheekbone and jawline might be too low on the statue, too. Then there's the beak. xD

There are differences in the legs, too, but not too much. Movie Smaug seems to have longish, narrow but still powerful, arns with what may be a single or a few long spurs on the elbows. Like Komodo dragons -- his feet in particular.

I suspect I may have gone a bit too in-depth here, but hey, it's fun. :P
At the most I think that this is a design of Smaug, but not the movie one; at the least, it's just a random dragon. Either way, it's a gorgeous statue.

(This post was edited by Olessan on May 10 2013, 12:26am)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 10 2013, 12:45am

Post #8 of 21 (487 views)
Shortcut
If this isn't Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

can I look at the picture without spoiling myself? I know that sounds crazy, but I want Smaug to be a surprise.

glor
Rohan

May 10 2013, 12:54am

Post #9 of 21 (475 views)
Shortcut
It's not Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/...-at-the-roxy-cinema/

It's a publicity drive for something called The Gloaming Trilogy

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 10 2013, 1:11am

Post #10 of 21 (511 views)
Shortcut
Quoting Jackson here [In reply to] Can't Post

" you didnt really think we were gonna spoil Scchhhmaug , did you?"

No its not Smaug.

Vous commencez ŗ m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on May 10 2013, 1:12am)

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 10 2013, 1:34am

Post #11 of 21 (441 views)
Shortcut
yup. [In reply to] Can't Post

IMHO, the nostrils differentiate the two. In the model, the nostril is a nice oval/egg shape, whereas, in the film,
it has the shape of a hook in the narrow part of the nostril. The hollowed shape of the nostril appear to be different.
Although, the different shape could be due to muscle contrations of the live organism seen in the film.
2 cents.

Defiant
Bree

May 10 2013, 2:26am

Post #12 of 21 (583 views)
Shortcut
I know exactly where this dragon comes from, and it is NOT smaug. [In reply to] Can't Post

This dragon is a sculpture created by artist David Meng, who used to work at Weta Workshop. It is a piece of his personal work, commissioned by Sir Richard Taylor and was completed years ago. It is not Smaug, nor is it the dragon from Jane and the Dragon, which it looks nothing like. You can see a piciture of a miniature version of this sculpture in the book, Weta, The Collector's Guide on page 6, complete with David Meng's credit. The roxy cinema routinely hosts exhibitions of art, being it sculpture, costuming, paintings etc, that have nothing to do with the movies they are playing at the cinema. This is one of those. According to someone I spoke to from the Roxy cinema there used to be a Gandalf statue standing where the dragon sits now except some kids broke it on the weekend so they had to take it out for repair. The dragon has taken his place while the Wizard is being repaired.

(This post was edited by Defiant on May 10 2013, 2:29am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 10 2013, 3:50am

Post #13 of 21 (418 views)
Shortcut
Some kids broke Gandalf? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's the bigger news story here!

Thanks for phoning the cinema to get the details. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Moahunter
Rohan

May 10 2013, 4:43am

Post #14 of 21 (379 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel can heal him [In reply to] Can't Post

that explains the touching scene.

Elizabeth
Valinor

May 10 2013, 5:45am

Post #15 of 21 (342 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Defiant, well done!// [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on May 10 2013, 5:45am)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 10 2013, 6:45am

Post #16 of 21 (365 views)
Shortcut
Glad that it turns out ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to be Smaug. Not sure I particularly like the design, very generic.

Skaan
Lorien

May 10 2013, 11:09am

Post #17 of 21 (309 views)
Shortcut
Regarding Smaug's head [In reply to] Can't Post

You should take a close look at this GIF if you haven't already. It gives you a good idea of Smaug's head and shape wich could help you in any future(?) drawings. http://25.media.tumblr.com/5703e6268bb5b0497beb6c492613ca58/tumblr_mgjen98mZ51qfdneyo1_500.gif

But either way, it's a very nice drawing, and i'd love to see moreSmile

About the statue, does anyone know if it was created by WETA? The head isn't exactly what i imagined Smaug to be (mostly because of the bird beak), but i do like the detail and realism they gave it. And if it was made by WETA, it gives me good hope that they'll do an even greater job with the actual movie Smaug (i somehow always imagined movie Smaug to look more cartoonish).

Smaug really should be the highlight of this trilogy in terms of visual effects imo, the same way Kong was in Jackson's remake, and Gollum in LOTR.

RosieLass
Valinor

May 10 2013, 2:55pm

Post #18 of 21 (238 views)
Shortcut
Looks like Defiant has already solved the mystery. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I was doubtful anyway.

I can't imagine that something they have been so secretive about would suddenly show up like this on random public display somewhere.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Fŗfnir
Rohan

May 10 2013, 5:14pm

Post #19 of 21 (217 views)
Shortcut
This is not Smaug, but remember [In reply to] Can't Post

it has been stated by one of the film makers that the glimpses we saw of Smaug were created before they settled on his final design, so the final Smaug could be not corresponding to what we saw in auj !

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

May 10 2013, 7:36pm

Post #20 of 21 (179 views)
Shortcut
I can't believe... [In reply to] Can't Post

that people haven't done their research on this and it's front-page news!

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 11 2013, 12:28am

Post #21 of 21 (140 views)
Shortcut
Glad to know it's not Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Defiant.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.