Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Update on Hobbit figure wave 2 from Bridge Direct

stormcrow20
Gondor

Apr 20 2013, 6:56am

Post #1 of 7 (653 views)
Shortcut
Update on Hobbit figure wave 2 from Bridge Direct Can't Post

The Bridge Direct has released information (link) regarding their upcoming second wave of action figures based on the Hobbit films, including two previously unannounced characters: Beorn and Thranduil!

We are excited to share some updates with you about the new Hobbit toys coming this fall from The Bridge Direct. Here is a rundown of what you can expect for Wave 2, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug – in stores October 15:

3.75” SCALE ACTION FIGURES
o New assortment includes Radagast, Thranduil, Azog, Beorn and Gandalf
o Each figure features 12 points of articulation and replicates the authentic facial features, clothing, weapons and accessories of the character in painstaking detail.
o SRP $7.99 each

3.75” SCALE ACTION FIGURE BOX SETS - Three New Packs!
    • Mirkwood Pack: Legolas, Tauriel, Thranduil, Fili and Kili
    • Thorin Oakenshield Adventure Pack: Nori, Ori, Dori, Gloin and Thorin
    • Bilbo Baggins Burglar Pack: Bifur, Bombur, Bofur, Oin and Exclusive 3.75" Invisible Bilbo
    • SRP $29.99 each

6” SCALE COLLECTOR FIGURES
    • New assortment includes Radagast, Azog and Legolas
    • Each collector figure features intricate details replicating the character’s facial features, clothing, weapons and accessories.
    • SRP $14.99 each

And YES, there will be an amazing San Diego Comic-Con Exclusive figure this year! Stay tuned – more details will be released soon!

While I'm at it, I've collected a few links posted during Toy Fair. They may be "old news" to some, but they are definitely worth checking out if you are itching for information on this toy line (or just need a refresher) as updates are currently few and far between.

Preternia.com Toy Fair February 2013: "We spoke with the owner of Bridge Direct and he seemed very keen on the idea of doing a Smaug for the 3 3/4" line. The line of thinking was that he would probably be a cheated scale but very large. They considered the Fell Beast from the Toy Biz line a good starting point when considering size. However, they have not gotten any source material yet from WETA so they would need that soon if there is any chance of a Smaug this year. They are also very interested in feedback so if this sounds like something you want, Bridge Direct wants to hear from you."

Figures.com - extensive gallery of new figures from US Toy Fair.

TheOneRing.net:
Collecting the Precious - Toy Fair 2013 The Bridge Direct's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Wave 2
Collecting the Precious - The Bridge Direct Previews Radagast and Yazneg 6" Figures - High-res official images of Yazneg and Radagast.

Kastor's Korner: Toy Fair 2013: The Bridge Direct's Hobbit Toys Continue To Impress

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 20 2013, 1:48pm

Post #2 of 7 (209 views)
Shortcut
Wave 2 a year later?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to ask: how on earth did Bridge Direct get such a coveted licence? To not at least have a second wave out now to capitalize on the DVD release is criminal.

If they insist on one wave a year and two scales then I expect many will be disappointed since it's likely many characters will not get a plastic incarnation.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2013, 7:56pm

Post #3 of 7 (186 views)
Shortcut
Erm, no Bard, Master, Necromancer, Smaug? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like they combined Wave 2 of AUJ and Wave 1 of DoS into one thing. They should have done AUJ Wave 2 this Spring, with the 8 remaining Dwarves, Azog, Radagast and perhaps Erebor Thorin, Moria Dwalin, Invisible Bilbo...leaving a more comprehensive selection of new characters for the DoS line.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 21 2013, 10:17pm

Post #4 of 7 (167 views)
Shortcut
Wave 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

That appears to be the case. As far as those others I bet they are coming sooner than one would think just not formally announced yet. Patience is the key and I believe TBD has some nice plans for the line. I'm sure some of the waiting goes back to 2 movies to 3 and waiting to see how the line sells.

stormcrow20
Gondor

Apr 26 2013, 5:46am

Post #5 of 7 (138 views)
Shortcut
Bridge Direct License [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe The Bridge Direct has people on their team that originally worked on the Toy Biz LOTR line, as well as some who worked on the Armies of Middle-earth line from Play Along. That fact probably had some sway in their acquiring the license.

stormcrow20
Gondor

Apr 26 2013, 6:09am

Post #6 of 7 (171 views)
Shortcut
Incomplete release list [In reply to] Can't Post

I quite agree that they should have had a spring or summer wave planned, but as Elessar mentioned, I'm sure the switch from two to three films had a ripple effect in Bridge Direct's planning. They have also had difficulty with retailers carrying the figures.

Additionally, I'm guessing this list is not all inclusive. There were certain figures shown at US Toy Fair that were not included in this press release, such as 3.75" Azog with White Warg, and 6" Bolg and Yazneg. Also not listed were two-packs of the dwarves which BD has previously mentioned. There will surely be further reveals at San Diego Comic-Con, as well. As for Smaug, Bridge Direct wants to make him, but as of February had not yet received designs from Weta.

tolkiennerd
Lorien

May 9 2013, 1:04am

Post #7 of 7 (159 views)
Shortcut
"6" legolas again? [In reply to] Can't Post

between the toybiz LOTR line and wave one of the Hobbit the last thing I need for my collection is another Legolas. Radagast sounds cool.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.