Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is the mirkwood lego set a spoiler...or what?

Kaede
Rivendell

May 8 2013, 2:10pm

Post #1 of 19 (1638 views)
Shortcut
Is the mirkwood lego set a spoiler...or what? Can't Post

One of my nieces has the "Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey Escape from Mirkwood Spiders" set and I must admit I'm a bit intrigued/baffled/wt heck? by the intended play action depicted on the box. The point is to trap Lego-Fili and Lego-Kili and hang them up in little nets (included)...the (taller and legged) Lego-Legolas and Lego-Tauriel fight through the lego spiders and rescue them. Totally Crazy at the photo on the back of Lego-Legolas heading off-stage dragging the net with Lego-Kili still trapped inside, but Lego-Fili appears to breaking out of his net all on his own. My niece tells me "he's supposed to save his brother from the elf." (For the anti-Tauriel crowd, rest assured that there doesn't appear to be ANY lego/lego going on and she is depicted as keeping well away from the dwarfy guys.) Wink

Does make me wonder how we'll see the dwarves get captured in DoS, however. In the book, the dwarves are just met on the road so tired and hungry that they're glad to be captured--and they just sit down and let themselves be taken. The lego set sort of sets up a dramatic rescue/arrest scene which has more potential for being tense and heroic. I suspect I will like it either way.

Thoughts? Is the lego set a spoiler or...just a lego set? (But then, why would they go to the trouble of designing it this way?)

TariArFiniel
The Shire

May 8 2013, 2:17pm

Post #2 of 19 (796 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are pictures and a video:
http://thehobbit.lego.com/de-de/products/79001

I asked myself the same.

(This post was edited by TariArFiniel on May 8 2013, 2:18pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 8 2013, 2:23pm

Post #3 of 19 (801 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's confirmed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas and Tauriel will at some point be rescuing/capturing the dwarves from the spiders. I think footage was shown at Comic-con last summer.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Kaede
Rivendell

May 8 2013, 2:31pm

Post #4 of 19 (765 views)
Shortcut
check out the tatts! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the link...though I found myself wanting a good closeup of his color arm tatts! (Spiders?) The designer looks like he put a lot of work into it.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

May 8 2013, 3:17pm

Post #5 of 19 (732 views)
Shortcut
Not only is the Mirkwood spiders Lego a possible spoiler, but the Barrels Escape set also [In reply to] Can't Post

gives us a better idea of how the escape will play out. The Lego set comes with the "Cellar Chief" (Galion??) and an Elven guard. plus you can see the mechanism for dropping the open barrels into the water.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Frostbitten
The Shire

May 8 2013, 3:33pm

Post #6 of 19 (666 views)
Shortcut
Various ways... [In reply to] Can't Post

LEGO got access to the earliest scenes from The Hobbit films due to production releases as most mass-market toy creators do. Thus they got an early look at Mirkwood spiders and elves. In my opinion, this sets a scene for the spiders assailing the Dwarves and being beaten off by the Elves, who, after saving them, take Thorin and Co. captive.

P.S. The early look for LEGO also explains why there is no Azog in the Warg Attack set, because he was a last-minute design in place of Yazneg, who dies earlier in the film.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

The White Wizard
The Shire

May 9 2013, 4:03am

Post #7 of 19 (425 views)
Shortcut
Lego Set [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks to me like the elves are fighting the spider and are trying to save the dwarves. I really hope that that is not how they do it in the movie because I believe that you really have to have Bilbo saving them. It is a defining moment in Bilbo's adventure and although they might have had him saving Thorin's life to replace that I still think that you have to have Bilbo save the dwarves from the spiders. If they do do it that way, though, it makes sense that the elves would take the dwarves to their kingdom after that and that the dwarves might try to escape from them. The sets are not always accurate to the movie, though. Although Frostbitten explains that is was only due to a last minute switch, the Warg Attack set shows that the lego sets can be wrong sometimes. More proof of that is the Iron Man 3 lego sets. I don't want to give spoilers about the movie but I will just say that the lego sets are very far from being accurate to the movie. Anyways, we'll have to wait and see the movie to be 100% sure what happens in the movie, but as I said, I really hope it is Bilbo who saves the dwarves.

True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one.

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 9 2013, 4:33am

Post #8 of 19 (438 views)
Shortcut
That is my supposition [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it is likely that Legolas and the Elves rescue the Dwarves from the spiders. In the adapted DoS preview,
it shows the procession of chained with Dori covered in what appears to be spider webs. If this is indeed web,
the Dwarves were likely taken not long from the spiders encounter, which, in turn, leads me to believe that the
Elven captors played a role in combating the spiders.

Though, the preview also shows the elves ambushing orcs and then shows Tauriel and Legolas, under the
auspices of Thranduil, extracting intelligence from an orc. This introduces an array of possibilities and could
easily be the scene where the elves capture the Dwarves from their orc pursuers. It would also be the likely introduction
of Tauriel. But I am thinking that the spiders and orcs are two separate occasions. Whether the orc fight occurs after
the Dwarves have escaped or before they've been captured is elusive.

A postive of Legolas rescuing the Dwarves from the spiders is that it could ease the introduction of Legolas into the narrative.
It would focus the narration on a scene involving the character legolas rather than a scene about the introduction of the character
legolas. Thoughts?

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 10 2013, 8:15am

Post #9 of 19 (291 views)
Shortcut
potential spoiler [In reply to] Can't Post

awhile back there was a thread about the gloin scene in the first trailer showing gloin
covered in webs with a portrait that some speculated to be a young gimli. Gloin is looking
up at some one taller than him and the hand holding the portrait is clearly taller than Gloin.
What reason could this portrait be out in the open but come in the possession
of captors searching through the Dwarves' stuff before they bind them?

And take a couple guesses of who the the character holding the putative gimli portrait could be...
a bit ironic, aye?

I think this also relates to the point of the elves rescuing the dwarves from the spiders or capturing
them soon after.

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 10 2013, 7:47pm

Post #10 of 19 (223 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought at first that the person who looks at the portrait was Legolas, but the last I heard it actually is Tauriel.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say,
the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 10 2013, 8:04pm

Post #11 of 19 (203 views)
Shortcut
whew [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks, aradamire. i can see why tauriel might be the preferred choice to legolas. legolas
with a portrait of a young gimili just would be too bizarre, i think Laugh

DanielLB
Immortal

May 10 2013, 8:06pm

Post #12 of 19 (210 views)
Shortcut
The potrait that we've seen (in the trailer) is actually of... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gloin's wife. But the picture on the other side of the locket, which we will presumably see in the film, is Fimli.

Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 10 2013, 8:09pm

Post #13 of 19 (202 views)
Shortcut
And who might Fimli be? [In reply to] Can't Post

Long-lost brother of our beloved Gimli? Angelic

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 10 2013, 8:10pm

Post #14 of 19 (197 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping that it would be Legolas and that this would be their first "introduction." Oh well, I'm sure it'll be fine either way.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 10 2013, 8:33pm

Post #15 of 19 (193 views)
Shortcut
Not any old long-lost brother [In reply to] Can't Post

His evil twin brother! It's not Bolg who kills Thorin. Wink

Eleniel
Grey Havens

May 10 2013, 8:46pm

Post #16 of 19 (217 views)
Shortcut
No need to wait until the film... **SPOILER*** [In reply to] Can't Post

The full picture is in already on the web... (from Weta Chroncles II, I believe)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/...rtL1rd9r7lo1_500.jpg

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 10 2013, 8:46pm

Post #17 of 19 (197 views)
Shortcut
Uh...SPOILERS!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You should have warned me before you just so flippantly threw that out there UnimpressedLaugh

DanielLB
Immortal

May 10 2013, 9:01pm

Post #18 of 19 (181 views)
Shortcut
Heh ... how have I missed this when I own the book? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't see it looks much like Gimli. I'm still hoping for a JRD/Gimli cameo.

Smile

Kaede
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 1:56am

Post #19 of 19 (176 views)
Shortcut
buns??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey! Princess Leia buns...only on her temples instead of her ears. LOL.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.