Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Martin Freeman's best Bilbo moments
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

LordElrond
Rivendell

May 8 2013, 5:07am

Post #1 of 26 (1486 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman's best Bilbo moments Can't Post

I watched the film today and I paid close attention to Martin's performance, I must say that he really nailed it in almost every scene and I cant imagine any other actor doing a better job. I made this thread for people to share their favorite Bilbo moments, my favorite is the scene where he's wondering whether to sign the contract.

cats16
Valinor

May 8 2013, 5:32am

Post #2 of 26 (693 views)
Shortcut
I'll say [In reply to] Can't Post

The "pity of Bilbo" moment. I was so blown away when I first saw this part, because it seemed to be the exact way I played it in my head (when thinking about Frodo in Moria in FOTR). But of course, Riddles in general was one of my favorite Bilbo moments.

Tonight, I'm really thinking about his fussiness in Bag End. I loved seeing MF just do it, and do it very well. Didn't feel like acting there.

But for me...it's sooo hard to choose specific moments for characters, because I seem to love everything. I know, I know- horrible problem to have.Smile

Nunilo
Bree

May 8 2013, 5:54am

Post #3 of 26 (659 views)
Shortcut
A couple from the troll scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I love just about everything MF does as Bilbo. One of my favourites is when he stares at the troll's knife and sort of sizes it up with his hands before trying to steal it. His first spot of burgling!

Another interesting moment is the very puzzled expression that flashes across his face just after he says, "Worms! In his.... tubes!" Poor panicked Bilbo is probably saying the first thing that comes to mind, whether it makes sense or not. Sly

This is more of an editing choice, but earlier on I love the moment between Bilbo and Myrtle, and the music that starts just as he pats her. There's such a contrast between the music and their surroundings. Even out in the wild, completely out of his comfort zone, he brings some lovely, hobbity charm. I thought that was a nice touch.

lurtz2010
Rohan

May 8 2013, 6:17am

Post #4 of 26 (633 views)
Shortcut
every little movement or expression he does is perfectly hobbity and Bilboish [In reply to] Can't Post

I like his body language when he's walking around the morning after the party, especially when calls out "hello?" and does the little bend with his hand up. Hilarous.

His facial expression when he tells Gandalf he's "having a reaction" to the horse hair.

Or when Gandalf is telling the story of Bullroarer Took and when he says the goblins head went down a rabbit hole, Bilbo looks up as if to say wtf?..

Eruwestial37
Rohan

May 8 2013, 6:51am

Post #5 of 26 (615 views)
Shortcut
Martin was wonderful throughout [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with everyone here. One of my special favorites was when he's talking to Bofur "You don't have a home" and realizes too late how hurtful that was. Even though he's trying to leave them, it pains him to hurt any of them. He puts his own pain aside. I can't wait to see him with Smaug! And burgling food in Thranduil's palace.

Angharad73
Rohan

May 8 2013, 6:59am

Post #6 of 26 (598 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Freeman was pretty much perfect in just about every scene.

My favourite funny moment would be when he first opens the door and sees Dwalin standing there. He just looks so perfectly bewildered, but being also so very polite.

And I also love his 'I'm sorry' to Balin and Dwalin.

My absolute favourite non-comical scene is the 'pity of Bilbo' one. His expression there conveys all that is going through his mind without a saying single word.

Arannir
Valinor

May 8 2013, 7:12am

Post #7 of 26 (618 views)
Shortcut
The moment he says... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Rivendell".

They did not give him much space to show Bilbo's appreciation for the place, but at least that moment is filled with wonder.

Also his looks during the conversation between Gandalf and Thorin about how Thorin should shut up while in Imladris ;)

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

emre43
Lorien

May 8 2013, 8:27am

Post #8 of 26 (627 views)
Shortcut
Won't be the popular choice but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...my favourite Freeman moment was when defending Thorin. The amount of courage that must have taken for somebody that is a 3'5 home-loving, comfort-loving, non-adventurous character is immense.

Arannir
Valinor

May 8 2013, 8:45am

Post #9 of 26 (570 views)
Shortcut
I did love it too... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because I felt it wasn't really courageous.

It was just someone who basically realized that his life is about to end but whose compassion took one final stand.

Reminded me of people who sometimes grow unexplainable power and strength when it comes to defending or saving loved ones (mothers lifting up heavy rocks and similar stories).

This, for all the changes, is something truely in the spirit of Tolkien imho.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on May 8 2013, 8:45am)

Eowyn3
Rivendell

May 8 2013, 12:58pm

Post #10 of 26 (515 views)
Shortcut
Best hobbit ever! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love Freeman as Bilbo; my favorite scene is the "Good Morning" interaction. To me it was perfect, it was like seeing characters pop out of a book!

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

dormouse
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 1:04pm

Post #11 of 26 (476 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kaede
Rivendell

May 8 2013, 1:38pm

Post #12 of 26 (500 views)
Shortcut
The whole performance [In reply to] Can't Post

...is brilliant. Martin is fabulous. I vote for every moment above plus I really liked this moment--it "sold" the transition from Ian Holm to Martin Freeman for me (though I was already there, this just nailed it...) It was the only overt Ian Holm reference I saw, and it's all that's needed. Just a quick homage, I think.

Right after bebother and confustigate: Gandalf enters hallway and Martin Freeman Bilbo does a look up and around similar to scene in FotR--in Bag End (after party) when Gandalf is standing by fire and says, "I suppose you found that terribly clever" and Ian Holm Bilbo looks up and around.

(This post was edited by Kaede on May 8 2013, 1:39pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 3:09pm

Post #13 of 26 (506 views)
Shortcut
One thRING we need to remember? [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ directed "the Dialogue" scenes
soo. let's Not forget who brought
The Best out of Martin?

MaeBeth
Bree

May 8 2013, 3:10pm

Post #14 of 26 (463 views)
Shortcut
Basically the whole thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin has these (quirky?) movements, but they don't make him look silly.
Seriously, he sells the image of a hobbit. The hobbit, I meanEvil
We see Bilbo go from a bit of a stuffed shirt, (really? you need to go back for a hanky?) to the potential hero he will become. PJ couldn't have anyone better if he searched to world 5 times over,Smile

MaeBeth Blush

Old Toby
Gondor

May 8 2013, 3:44pm

Post #15 of 26 (457 views)
Shortcut
I think his entire performance was superb [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely nailed it! But if I had to pick out a few favorite moments, these would be some of mine:

1. His expressions as he watches Dwalin eat the supper meant for himself.
2. His reactions every time he opens the door to another dwarf, especially when Fili and Kili arrive.
3. His talking to Balin and Dwalin in the pantry as they ignore him.
4. His waking to an empty house and his subsequent decision to sign the contract and follow them.
5. His taking Myrtle the apple, the little pat on the nose, and "Shhh, you mustn't tell anyone!"
6. His delivery of "The best way to cook a dwarf is.....to skin them first!"
7. His expression and reaction after Gollum's "If Baggins loses, we eats it whole."
8. His entire "Pity of Bilbo" scene when he spares Gollum's life.
9. His terrified but determined defense of Thorin against Azog.
10. And my favorite of favorite moments: His speech to Thorin about why he came back to them after the escape from Goblin Town.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 8 2013, 5:34pm

Post #16 of 26 (476 views)
Shortcut
"There's nobody home! Go away and bother somebody else!" [In reply to] Can't Post

That was my favourite of his lines. It reminds me of my reaction when I'm trying to have a nice quiet evening alone. Laugh

I hadn't been a huge fan of Freeman prior to The Hobbit and didn't rate him that highly as far as actors go, but I certainly had some understanding of what it was that Jackson saw in him, so to speak. I was still a little dubious when watching the trailers, but in the film he easily gave the best performance along with Ian's Gandalf. His "Riddles in the Dark" scene acting alongside Andy Serkis was probably the best bit of the film.

Other moments I loved include his apology to Bofur, the "Good Morning" scene, and his monologue directed at Thorin prior to Azog's attack.

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

May 8 2013, 6:23pm

Post #17 of 26 (439 views)
Shortcut
Some early introduction scenes stand out as my favorite. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I side with most everybody on how Martin portrayed Bilbo so flawlessly, especially in the dramatic scenes between Gollum and the courage of Bilbo towards fighting the orcs.

My personal favorite moment is the scene where Bilbo has just sat down for dinner and the bell to his door rings. His expression from contentment to crashing disdain is hilarious to me.

Kaede
Rivendell

May 8 2013, 6:45pm

Post #18 of 26 (403 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

completely!

emre43
Lorien

May 8 2013, 6:52pm

Post #19 of 26 (390 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...because I felt it wasn't really courageous.

It was just someone who basically realized that his life is about to end but whose compassion took one final stand.

Reminded me of people who sometimes grow unexplainable power and strength when it comes to defending or saving loved ones (mothers lifting up heavy rocks and similar stories).

This, for all the changes, is something truely in the spirit of Tolkien imho.

You put it much better than me though Wink

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

May 8 2013, 10:28pm

Post #20 of 26 (390 views)
Shortcut
His speech after Goblin Town [In reply to] Can't Post

Was brilliant in my opinion, delivered with a lot of feeling and courage. It felt totally perfect, even though it's not from the book it felt like it had been directly lifted from it.

His reaction to each Dwarf entering his house is great and really funny, as is his staling in the Trollshaws. I think his best scene was Riddles in the Dark. His performance along with Andy Serkis' was brilliant. The entire sequence is probably going to be a stand out scene not just in the Hobbit trilogy but in all of Jackson's Tolkien adaptions for me.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

May 8 2013, 11:11pm

Post #21 of 26 (406 views)
Shortcut
Apart from one thing [In reply to] Can't Post

He is a bit skinny, dare one say anorexic for a Hobbit!

Kaede
Rivendell

May 8 2013, 11:29pm

Post #22 of 26 (388 views)
Shortcut
Except [In reply to] Can't Post

(LOL) if he were female, he's be considered plus size, you know. Wink

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 9 2013, 12:20am

Post #23 of 26 (376 views)
Shortcut
There's several to choose from [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo telling the Dwarves to "Put that back!"
The look on his face when one of the trolls (I don't know which troll, it might've been Tom.) when the troll stands up and scratched his backside. The look on Bilbo's face! Laugh Too funny.
And then there's the part where he's trying to stall the trolls from eating the dwarves. I love his facial features, especially when he gets impatient.

RangerLady23
Lorien

May 10 2013, 6:45pm

Post #24 of 26 (256 views)
Shortcut
Martin moments [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite would have to be agreed with Cats16 I love the his moment of pity for Gollum. It was spot on and so emotional. I really felt his doubt.
I also love the look on his face right after the trolls turn to stone and he is looking into the sun at Gandalf. His look is hilarious! Cool
Overall I think they did a superb job in casting. Props and Kudos abound!!!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

May 11 2013, 6:18pm

Post #25 of 26 (188 views)
Shortcut
That's a great one! [In reply to] Can't Post

And, at least to me, it seems that he gives a little extra squeeze to his lemon when the doorbell rings.

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.