Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Don't mess with Wellingtonians!

Starling
Half-elven

May 7 2013, 7:53am

Post #1 of 17 (193 views)
Shortcut
Don't mess with Wellingtonians! Can't Post

Our Prime Minister made a reference to Wellington being a 'dying city' in a recent speech. He has since apologised.

I know lots of you on here have visited Wellington, so I thought you might enjoy this piece that screened on Campbell Live tonight.
Wellingtonians talk about what they love about their city. There is nothing like someone being critical about a place to bring out the passion!
Enjoy. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 7 2013, 4:28pm

Post #2 of 17 (113 views)
Shortcut
Wups! Your link just locked knocked out my computer! [In reply to] Can't Post

DARN! It came right back on...

And here I was all ready to be righteously indignant!

What a silly thing to say... dying city. PAH! ;)

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 7 2013, 4:34pm

Post #3 of 17 (109 views)
Shortcut
Good heavens! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wellington is one of my favorite places. It seems lively enough to me!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 7 2013, 7:22pm

Post #4 of 17 (111 views)
Shortcut
For the first time ever, I agree with Bob Jones: [In reply to] Can't Post

"If what he says is right, you don't say it! And if it's wrong, you don't say it!"

And this after Key criticised Aaron Gilmore for being a knob-head. Is something in the water in the National Caucus?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 7 2013, 9:08pm

Post #5 of 17 (99 views)
Shortcut
You can't beat Wellington on a good day ... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Storm clouds

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

May 7 2013, 11:43pm

Post #6 of 17 (103 views)
Shortcut
..or even on a bad day. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never felt so at home anywhere. For me, it's my spot on the earth. Mr. Key can go find his own, silly man.Tongue

Starling
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 6:46am

Post #7 of 17 (84 views)
Shortcut
You agree with bob Jones? [In reply to] Can't Post

And we have it in writing! Cool

And to think John Key is Minister of Tourism. What a goober. I will say though, I am glad to live in a country where it's fine to refer to the Prime Minister as a goober.Sly

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 2:24pm

Post #8 of 17 (78 views)
Shortcut
Goober? [In reply to] Can't Post

And here I've been thinking that "goober" was a word exclusive to the southern US, after "goober peas", or peanuts. How interesting to find that it means the same thing in Kiwi. Wink

Starling
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 6:18pm

Post #9 of 17 (76 views)
Shortcut
I just looked it up [In reply to] Can't Post

in the urban dictionary, which said that 'goober' can be a term of endearment. Let's just say I wasn't using it in that way.
It was commonly used when I was growing up, although I don't hear it so often now, so I am probably showing my age. But it's definitely an insult where I come from!

I never knew it had anything to do with peanuts!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 8 2013, 7:11pm

Post #10 of 17 (65 views)
Shortcut
Can I help it [In reply to] Can't Post

if Jones shows an uncharacteristic display of common sense? He should sit down - I'm sure he's feeling faint.

I use goober and doofus interchangeably. And of course Goober was one of the Fraggles! I never knew it was a term of endearment elsewhere - another opportunity for unintentional confusion between nations!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 7:47pm

Post #11 of 17 (61 views)
Shortcut
I've never heard "goober" used as a term of endearment, either [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in the US it's very much an insult, implying foolishness and ignorance. It's one of those words, like "yokel", which is often applied to country people.

Did you ever watch the old "Andy Griffith Show?" Do you remember the character of Gomer Pyle? When he was spun off into his own show, his character was replaced on the Griffith show by his cousin Goober Pyle. Since those characters were loved for their good-natured innocence rather than reviled for their ignorance, perhaps there is an endearing quality to "goober".

There's a traditional folk song in the American South called "Goober Peas", which was popular during the last years of our Civil War, when many southerners had little more to eat than the peanuts from their fields. I suspect that's where the connection with "yokel" came from. Although the derivation could be the other way around, that a "goober pea" was food eaten by country people. If so, then I have no idea where the term came from, just where it went.

More than you ever wanted to know, I bet Tongue

(This post was edited by Lily Fairbairn on May 8 2013, 7:48pm)

Starling
Half-elven

May 9 2013, 8:35am

Post #12 of 17 (48 views)
Shortcut
One can never know too much [In reply to] Can't Post

when it comes to goobers, and goober related information. Laugh

Starling
Half-elven

May 9 2013, 8:39am

Post #13 of 17 (43 views)
Shortcut
We have our own family word [In reply to] Can't Post

which means goober or doofus:
schnerf. Laugh
You have to say it in a special voice. How unfortunate - I can't demonstrate it for you in this format.

elaen32
Gondor

May 9 2013, 2:02pm

Post #14 of 17 (34 views)
Shortcut
Love Wellington! [In reply to] Can't Post

Silly man! CrazyTongue I thought Wellington had a really nice vibe- it's big enough to be interesting and diverse, and small enough to feel like a community. Liked it better than Auckland, which felt like a clone of every other Pacific Rim city, although, admittedly, I only really visited the downtown area. Still, what do politicians know?

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 9 2013, 4:07pm

Post #15 of 17 (39 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, around here the "friendly" usage is when it's shortened to 'goob'. // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

silneldor
Half-elven

May 10 2013, 12:30am

Post #16 of 17 (29 views)
Shortcut
How about some nice [In reply to] Can't Post

Goober pie:)

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
ó J.R.R. Tolkien

Starling
Half-elven

May 10 2013, 6:11am

Post #17 of 17 (18 views)
Shortcut
That looks like [In reply to] Can't Post

it would put me in a coma!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.