Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Re:

dik-dik
Lorien

May 7 2013, 10:08am

Views: 84
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What is your interpretation of the meaning behind what Frodo said?

Mine is that for him, the nightmare he endured became more real than the peaceful world he was returning to. That he saw and experienced too much to ever be the same. And perhaps because he was a ringbearer, he was also turning, to put it in Sam-like words, Elvish; at least as far as mentality is concerned. Throughout the last three chapters of LotR, Frodo reads to me like one of the spiritually distant characters from Valinor. As if, like for Elves, memory is equal for him to reality, and perhaps even more so. The renewal of peace in The Shire would feel alien to him, and he would feel he didn't belong in such a world anymore: whereas for others their lives would feel very real and enjoyable, I feel for Frodo this would be just an illusion, a fleeting dream of things he can never have again; mostly because he already felt (and knew, from Arwen and Elrond) that he would soon be leaving.
Just my two cents.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Subject User Time
Frodo quote question Nira Send a private message to Nira May 4 2013, 7:51pm
    He still hasn't found his home. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua May 4 2013, 9:55pm
        Like your description of the Unreal feeling Ataahua Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 4 2013, 10:07pm
    Good quote Nira! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 4 2013, 9:57pm
    hi nira : ) Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 4 2013, 10:14pm
        Thank you for the great replies! Nira Send a private message to Nira May 4 2013, 11:17pm
            I have a further meaning to suggest noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme May 5 2013, 7:40am
    How about this IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin May 4 2013, 11:31pm
    One point that should be taken into account sador Send a private message to sador May 5 2013, 1:15pm
    IMHO Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone May 5 2013, 8:04pm
        Agreed, Darkstone Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 5 2013, 8:38pm
        Right you are demnation Send a private message to demnation May 5 2013, 10:59pm
    Waking Up BallyWhooo Send a private message to BallyWhooo May 6 2013, 1:15am
    Re: dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik May 7 2013, 10:08am
        Nice observation CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 7 2013, 12:03pm
            Thanks! For me... dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik May 7 2013, 9:55pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.