Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Computer question for the techies...

diedye
Grey Havens

May 5 2013, 4:10pm

Post #1 of 10 (214 views)
Shortcut
Computer question for the techies... Can't Post

I know this isn't a TORn question, but I've googled and I can't find the answers I need.

I have Norton Antivirus on my computer, but it's tied into my brother's (he's got the primary license)... I want to get it on my own, since he's dragging his feet about renewing the license. I have no info on his account and if I'm obligated to uninstall, it has to be without having to ask him for the account info (he's a grumpy gus... I will never get a straight answer).

Do I have to uninstall it and purchase a brand new one? I know that some antivirus programs cause problems by leaving files/commands files behind that end of screwing over your computer (McAfee did that to my previous PC Mad ). Is there a simpler way to just renew Norton, say, just by changing account info?

(I've tried finding the info on Norton's website but couldn't.... I got totally lost... Blush )

Can someone please help?! Unsure

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 5 2013, 6:45pm

Post #2 of 10 (169 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen this? [In reply to] Can't Post

The third post here seems to address your issue minus a couple specifics. Follow the link from that post if you decide you want to remove all traces of your current product.

Usually installing a newer product with a fresh key will delete whatever is no longer useful from the older product. However, I think you are correct that since you are switching accounts (ie getting your own) it would be best to nuke the previous version associated with your brother's account.

Good luck.

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

May 7 2013, 2:52am

Post #3 of 10 (134 views)
Shortcut
I would recommend [In reply to] Can't Post

scrapping Norton entirely and going with something more streamline. Norton was amazing back when Peter Norton still ran the company in the early '90s, but it's become horribly bloated these days, and I find it slows down a computer more than it helps it.

I can't offer any warranties or anything if something does go horribly awry, but here's what I would do.

1) Download and install EasyCleaner-- it's a great program, and can be found here: http://download.cnet.com/ToniArts-EasyCleaner/3000-2094_4-10529179.html

2) Uninstall Norton, then run EasyCleaner to get rid of any extra registry entries or startup commands left behind.

3) Download and install Microsoft Security Essentials. Of all the free (In this case, free for personal use. They charge businesses) antivirus programs out there, I find it catches the most stuff, and is very unobtrusive. I'm not generally a big MS fan, but Security Essentials is a great tool You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

4) Relax and enjoy your more streamlined, less bloated system, and occasionally run EasyCleaner to manage any other program leftovers that may crop up. =)

Disclaimer: While I am a techie and work with this stuff a lot, I'm offering advice online, and I can't fix it from here if something does break (not that I foresee it will).

Hope that helps!

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

Magpie
Immortal

May 7 2013, 12:27pm

Post #4 of 10 (86 views)
Shortcut
my son just recommended Microsoft Security Essentials last night [In reply to] Can't Post

He installed W7 for me (upgrade from XP!) and suggested MSE w/o being asked for a recommendation on virus protection.

He also thought MSE was sufficient on its own w/o other programs.

He's kind of a wild computer tech. He taught himself most of what he knows (although his career is Visual Effects & Motion Graphics so he works with computers) but he knows a LOT. And has strong opinions about all of it. lol.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

diedye
Grey Havens

May 7 2013, 5:13pm

Post #5 of 10 (75 views)
Shortcut
A little clarification, please... [In reply to] Can't Post

Of all the free... antivirus programs out there, I find it catches the most stuff...

Does that mean it's less effective than non-free virus-protection programs?... or has about as much efficacy as a purchased program? Unsure

And does this also take care of spam and other nasties as well, as well as providing manageable pop-up blockers?

Blessed are the cracked,

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

May 8 2013, 12:25am

Post #6 of 10 (91 views)
Shortcut
In my personal experience [In reply to] Can't Post

Security Essentials caught something that McAfee didn't at my office. I would say it's at least as good as the paid-for ones, if not better.

It handles most malware (trojans, spam, etc.), although it doesn't have any special features for pop-up blockers of which I'm aware. Adblock plugins are available for most browsers, though, and work better than an external program would anyway.

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 1:05am

Post #7 of 10 (77 views)
Shortcut
After 8 years of problem free use [In reply to] Can't Post

Including on the teenagers' computers, I can recommend the free version of Avast! without any reservations whatsoever. It too is at least as good or better than any paid for anti-virus program I've heard of... and without any of the bloat or scare tactics the mainstream for pay programs employ.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 8 2013, 4:16am

Post #8 of 10 (69 views)
Shortcut
Agreed - Avast! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a computer professional and developer (also with teenagers). Avast! does a nice job.

AVG was good - then it got bad.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on May 8 2013, 4:17am)

PattyJB
Rivendell

May 8 2013, 4:49am

Post #9 of 10 (57 views)
Shortcut
Avast! all the way. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am a computer professional and developer (also with teenagers). Avast! does a nice job.

AVG was good - then it got bad.

This is also my experience, except my son is in his twenties.

diedye
Grey Havens

May 10 2013, 4:12pm

Post #10 of 10 (54 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the info, and another question for you... [In reply to] Can't Post

With Norton, they had the option of typing in an address on Google and an icon would display alongside the results advising if a site was safe or not. Can this be done with Security Essentials or Avast?

Thanks! Smile

Blessed are the cracked,

(This post was edited by diedye on May 10 2013, 4:12pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.