Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
I would recommend

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

May 7 2013, 2:52am

Views: 106
Shortcut
I would recommend [In reply to] Can't Post

scrapping Norton entirely and going with something more streamline. Norton was amazing back when Peter Norton still ran the company in the early '90s, but it's become horribly bloated these days, and I find it slows down a computer more than it helps it.

I can't offer any warranties or anything if something does go horribly awry, but here's what I would do.

1) Download and install EasyCleaner-- it's a great program, and can be found here: http://download.cnet.com/ToniArts-EasyCleaner/3000-2094_4-10529179.html

2) Uninstall Norton, then run EasyCleaner to get rid of any extra registry entries or startup commands left behind.

3) Download and install Microsoft Security Essentials. Of all the free (In this case, free for personal use. They charge businesses) antivirus programs out there, I find it catches the most stuff, and is very unobtrusive. I'm not generally a big MS fan, but Security Essentials is a great tool You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

4) Relax and enjoy your more streamlined, less bloated system, and occasionally run EasyCleaner to manage any other program leftovers that may crop up. =)

Disclaimer: While I am a techie and work with this stuff a lot, I'm offering advice online, and I can't fix it from here if something does break (not that I foresee it will).

Hope that helps!

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

Subject User Time
Computer question for the techies... diedye Send a private message to diedye May 5 2013, 4:10pm
    Have you seen this? SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC May 5 2013, 6:45pm
    I would recommend Inferno Send a private message to Inferno May 7 2013, 2:52am
        my son just recommended Microsoft Security Essentials last night Magpie Send a private message to Magpie May 7 2013, 12:27pm
        A little clarification, please... diedye Send a private message to diedye May 7 2013, 5:13pm
            In my personal experience Inferno Send a private message to Inferno May 8 2013, 12:25am
                After 8 years of problem free use SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC May 8 2013, 1:05am
                    Agreed - Avast! JWPlatt May 8 2013, 4:16am
                        Avast! all the way. PattyJB Send a private message to PattyJB May 8 2013, 4:49am
                Thanks for the info, and another question for you... diedye Send a private message to diedye May 10 2013, 4:12pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.