Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you play video games?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Do you play video games?
I play video games everyday.
I play video game about once a week.
I play video game occasionally (with friends or not)
I don't play video games
What is video games?
View Results (69 votes)

sam90
Lorien

May 6 2013, 11:02pm

Post #1 of 37 (715 views)
Shortcut
Do you play video games? Can't Post

Hi,

I think all is in the title, with the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii, PC games, handheld games ect. One can basically plays at what he wants, where he wants and with who in wants.

Here is my question for you:

Do you play video games?

And if so, how often? You can give your opinions and debate the subject if you feel inclined to it.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

May 6 2013, 11:18pm

Post #2 of 37 (207 views)
Shortcut
I love videogames. [In reply to] Can't Post

Currently i game on a PS3 and a Wii-- my Xbox 360 died about two years ago (*sniff*). I love anything Half-life/Portal, Resident Evil, Metroid or Mario/Mario Kart. Lately i've been playing Dead Space 3, and i'm looking forward to getting Far Cry 3.

I voted that i play once a week, but that's not entirely accurate. When i really get into a game, i play it obsessively, around the clock. But sometimes, if there's nothing i'm into at the time, i'll go many weeks, or even months, without playing. It all depends on my mood. Right now, i'm not really playing all that much, as i'm pretty much done with Dead Space 3. But when i get Far Cry 3, if i like it (and i'm expecting to), i'm sure i'll play it all the time.

Magpie
Immortal

May 6 2013, 11:34pm

Post #3 of 37 (210 views)
Shortcut
Not any more [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved Myst, Riven, Grim Fandango, the Zork games from the 90s, Syberia, The Journeyman Project, Lighthouse: The Dark Being, Neverhood, Amerzone, and Amber: Journeys Beyond.

But I have no interest in fighting and little interest in having to talk to people (in the game) to solve things.

Luinnár
Rivendell

May 6 2013, 11:41pm

Post #4 of 37 (198 views)
Shortcut
I used to play them a lot, [In reply to] Can't Post

But my older brothers and sisters are in college so I usually wait for them to come home for a holiday or something because it just gets lonely playing alone.

FlamingDovahkiin
The Shire

May 7 2013, 12:17am

Post #5 of 37 (194 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I love video games, and play them every day!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

May 7 2013, 1:13am

Post #6 of 37 (196 views)
Shortcut
I do play the violent video games, [In reply to] Can't Post

but i don't usually play games where i'm killing humans, and i never play the war simulators. I just don't enjoy them much. And i never set out to do this, i just realised a few years ago that this was a pattern with me. I tend to only play games where i'm fighting zombies, aliens, monsters or robots. When i do play video games where i'm shooting humans (who are trying to "kill" me, after all), like the Uncharted games, i enjoy it less. Just something i noticed about my gaming habits.

I loved all the Myst games, and i played a bit of Zork, although i never really got into the text games much. Ever play Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Magpie
Immortal

May 7 2013, 1:21am

Post #7 of 37 (192 views)
Shortcut
It's not that I can't take violence [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean... I don't enjoy it as much as some do but I can take it when the pay off is good. And I don't have a strong moral aversion to it. Both of my sons play first person shooters and I don't like it but they are good people and I don't think playing those games make them bad people.

I just have a strong aversion to personally fighting any battles especially timed ones. Even silly ones in light hearted games. I don't do conflict well. It just sucks all the enjoyment out for me. I just want to wander around a cool environment and solve puzzles.

I haven't played HHGttG.

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 7 2013, 2:16am

Post #8 of 37 (178 views)
Shortcut
These days... [In reply to] Can't Post

my gaming is few and far between....I was a fairly regular player for years....but have very little time left these days it seems and the Xbox and PC games have dust on them at the moment.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

May 7 2013, 2:27am

Post #9 of 37 (204 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I just want to wander around a cool environment and solve puzzles.

My favorite moments in video gaming are doing just this. Well, i do enjoy a bit of combat.

Patty
Immortal

May 7 2013, 11:51am

Post #10 of 37 (162 views)
Shortcut
I'm too busy playing spider solitaire to play real video games. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank goodness I finally got away from my addiction to Greedy Spiders. But I don't play real video games, no.

Elwen
Lorien

May 7 2013, 3:07pm

Post #11 of 37 (165 views)
Shortcut
I used to play more... [In reply to] Can't Post

but just don't have the time anymore to devote to the kinds of long RPGs I enjoyed, especially since I'm the kind of person who has to stop to talk to every NPC. I particularly like the open world models (think Oblivion and Skyrim) there's something appealing about being able to replay a game you enjoyed without having to always go through the main quest. Mr. Elwen got Dishonored for Christmas and I'm very intrigued by the concept of a game you can go through without actually killing anyone or being detected, so I may give that one a whirl one day.

I'm also a fan of the silly fun that is the Lego games based on movies. I confess, I found Lego LOTR very funny, although I know some people felt it was a sad dumbing down of the source material.

diedye
Grey Havens

May 7 2013, 5:17pm

Post #12 of 37 (150 views)
Shortcut
I'm totally hopeless with gaming... [In reply to] Can't Post

... as much as I would love to play, I suck at it... I'm not very well coordinated and I tend to get frustrated easily and quit as soon as I get stuck (usually at the first level Blush ) .

Darkstone
Immortal

May 7 2013, 5:28pm

Post #13 of 37 (154 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep an old computer with Windows 98 so I can play Master of Orion II and Alpha Centauri.

On my new computer I'm playing Fallout III:GOTY and Sims 3 (all the expansions and stuff paks)

I haven't played WOW since MOP came out.

Thinking about checking out LOTRO.

Wifey plays Kingdom of Hearts and Final Fantasy games on the Playstation 3.

CuriousG
Valinor

May 7 2013, 5:56pm

Post #14 of 37 (153 views)
Shortcut
Alpha Centauri?! [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'm not the last person in the world playing that game? Not continuously, but I'll play it every now and again.

I was a total WoW addict. It was scary how I'd sit down to play "just an hour or less" and 4-5 hours would go by. That's definitely a world that's fun to explore with all the vastly different zones you travel in, in addition to the flying around, fighting, etc. The last expansions were bad enough that they broke my habit.

But I'm with Diedye on the coordination front. When I play in groups, everyone else is blasting away at monsters while I'm still looking for the right button and spell to use. I'm sure I'd be faster if I'd grown up with them, but I was born before the Nintendo generation.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 7 2013, 7:22pm

Post #15 of 37 (179 views)
Shortcut
I love them too - in spurts [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I voted that i play once a week, but that's not entirely accurate. When i really get into a game, i play it obsessively, around the clock. But sometimes, if there's nothing i'm into at the time, i'll go many weeks, or even months, without playing. It all depends on my mood. Right now, i'm not really playing all that much.

I go back to Third Age about once a year-ish or so, start from scratch, and just enjoy running around ME for a week or two straight through. My BFF and I occasionally get the bug for some old-school comedy and get out the Sega crossover console with some ToeJam and Earl for a while Our children are both shocked and hysterically amused at watching us play (language can be an *issue*). I have tried COD (zombies freak me out a bit) and some of the other ME games off and on as well. Arkham City was very neat, action plus puzzles - until hubby got frustrated with the Riddler and traded it in! (Thwapp!! Unbelievable.) So same as you S-D; right now too busy with other things. (hug) in consolation for your Xbox!

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 8 2013, 12:19am

Post #16 of 37 (153 views)
Shortcut
I have similar [In reply to] Can't Post

gaming tastes...love Oblivion and Skyrim but they are so time consuming. I also enjoy the sports games - but to play a single NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB game can take 40-60 minutes. A round of golf easily can take that long. But I don't like to play single games, I have like to play entire seasons, which take forever.....without significant time, it seems wasteful to fire up the systems. And I just don't have much time lately!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 1:18am

Post #17 of 37 (149 views)
Shortcut
Love them? In spurts you say? [In reply to] Can't Post

We used to play a game here called "6 Subject Line Challenge." Your subject line is a natural for that sort-of online game. Wink

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on May 8 2013, 1:18am)

Brethil
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 1:24am

Post #18 of 37 (163 views)
Shortcut
Oh Sir Dennis - that sounds fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We used to play a game here called "6 Subject Line Challenge." Your subject line is a natural for that sort-of online game. Wink

Haha - see that?

And I do love when you post games! Maybe we can get a round going? Cool

CuriousG
Valinor

May 8 2013, 3:10am

Post #19 of 37 (140 views)
Shortcut
Mixed Metaphor Madness was a lot of fun // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 3:26am

Post #20 of 37 (137 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that game was awesome// [In reply to] Can't Post

demnation
Rohan

May 8 2013, 11:04am

Post #21 of 37 (125 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of my favorite hobbies. Some favorites include The Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Deus Ex, a few shooters and a whole smattering of older RPGS.

(This post was edited by demnation on May 8 2013, 11:08am)

Darkstone
Immortal

May 8 2013, 2:17pm

Post #22 of 37 (114 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you use an emulator? Which one? I've never been able to find one I like.

I have the same problem with groups. Luckily my guild is a leveling guild so there's not much call for raiding.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

May 8 2013, 3:28pm

Post #23 of 37 (108 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(hug) in consolation for your Xbox!

I do miss it so-- my favorite console since the Gamecube. I love the controller. I'll replace it when they get cheap enough, which shouldn't be too long now that the new consoles are coming out later this year.

MaeBeth
Bree

May 8 2013, 3:34pm

Post #24 of 37 (109 views)
Shortcut
Guilty! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love to!
Usually Kingdom Hearts, Okage Shadow King, Legend of Zelda...with some Final Fantasy (though I'm not very good)
But the ones like Fatal Frame & Silent Hill I love too, I like to be scared, or at least jump & scream like a little girl at a loud noiseLaugh
Recently my dad got me into Mass Effect, & Tomb Raider was my hero at age 8-13. Me & my sister will play Monster Madness together...think that's it, maybe haha

RosieLass
Valinor

May 8 2013, 4:34pm

Post #25 of 37 (108 views)
Shortcut
I play Lord of the Rings Online regularly. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I do enjoy some PC single-player games occasionally.

But I wouldn't call myself a "gamer." LOTRO is the only MMO that really interests me, and that only because it's Tolkien. I've tried Star Wars and Star Trek MMOs, as well as Guild Wars and some of those, and they just really don't grab me.

The PC games I play are mostly puzzle type things.

(This post was edited by RosieLass on May 8 2013, 4:34pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.