Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
From the DOS preview: concerns about Tauriel-Share them here!

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 6 2013, 9:22pm

Views: 1034
Shortcut
From the DOS preview: concerns about Tauriel-Share them here! Can't Post

Now, I will be fair here: when I first heard about the inclusion of a non-canon Elf character in The Hobbit I was fairly relaxed and open-minded about it, because a lot of PJ's invented characters, such as Lurtz, Haleth and Madril, worked quite well in Lord of the Rings.

However, after seeing the footage showing Tauriel in the DOS preview, my mind has become less complacent. The dialogue ("You like death, Orc? Then let me give it to you!") was badly written (I'm sure several amateur dramatic societies I know of could have done ten times better), and the words felt terribly wrong coming from the mouth of an Elf, who should not be coming out with rash remarks like that. Now obviously the Wood-Elves of Mirkwood are less wise than their Rivendell or Lothlorien kin, but they should not be acting like that unless it is a trait of theirs to have serious anger issues (possibly plausible, given how Thranduil is clearly seen losing it with Thorin and reveling in his authority).

Then there was the voice. Dear me, it sounded like one of those terrible tones that you hear in some LotR video games (think of some of the voice-acting in War in the North, for example). Somehow too modern and almost too American somehow (which is fine anywhere but Middle-earth).

Please share positive things about Tauriel as well as any concerns if you wish, but this has me slightly worried. The Radagast/Azog plots at least had purpose whatever else people thought about them, but an Elf who doesn't exist in the book, is completely unnecessary to the story and supposedly has something going on with Kili (or even Thranduil as some have suggested?) Beyond giving the piece a feminine touch (more than capable of being achieved by the inclusion of Galadriel alone), what does it achieve save yet more tinkering with our beloved book?

I just hope she doesn't have much screen time-though I suspect she'll have plenty.

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on May 6 2013, 9:23pm)

Subject User Time
From the DOS preview: concerns about Tauriel-Share them here! Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil May 6 2013, 9:22pm
    The whole inclusion of 'Tauriel' has me worried. Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela May 6 2013, 10:16pm
    Not worried at all Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 6 2013, 10:29pm
        Agreed emre43 Send a private message to emre43 May 7 2013, 7:25am
    Oddly enough... Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë May 6 2013, 10:38pm
    It could work - wait to see the movie before making all of these judgements. Galasriniel Send a private message to Galasriniel May 6 2013, 11:10pm
    Not too worried demnation Send a private message to demnation May 6 2013, 11:26pm
    to be fair There&ThereAgain Send a private message to There&ThereAgain May 6 2013, 11:39pm
    Basically everything you said Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust May 7 2013, 12:38am
    Hmmmm Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful May 7 2013, 12:38am
        Very good Voronwe! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 7 2013, 2:05am
        oh hush now... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie May 7 2013, 12:20pm
            After all, the Elves of the Hobbit are never rash Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful May 7 2013, 12:59pm
        Well, you have a good point, but you entirely missed my meaning Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil May 7 2013, 4:46pm
            Different sides Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë May 7 2013, 7:45pm
    Was concerned at first, now I'm somewhat optimistic Lio Send a private message to Lio May 7 2013, 1:21am
        Up to this Moment in Cinema History? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 7 2013, 1:41am
    The movie elves are beautiful and reserved, and Tauriel is that, Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin May 7 2013, 2:07am
    This again? Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby May 7 2013, 3:17am
        *mods up* Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn May 7 2013, 8:48am
            Ditto from Bomby...with Old Toby and Rho! Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 7 2013, 9:38am
                Hear, hear... Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 7 2013, 12:55pm
                    Pre-hating is going a bit too far Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust May 8 2013, 1:36am
                        The books are near and dear to all us. Magpie Send a private message to Magpie May 8 2013, 2:38am
    Well.... The Mitch King Send a private message to The Mitch King May 7 2013, 4:00am
    There seem to be reservations. Dwarvenfury Send a private message to Dwarvenfury May 7 2013, 5:01am
    As a long-time supporter of Tauriel, DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale May 7 2013, 5:39am
    I am looking forward seeing her. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir May 7 2013, 6:58am
    My main concern with Tauriel is ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB May 7 2013, 7:33am
        That is a pity totoro Send a private message to totoro May 7 2013, 7:40am
    *smoothes out knickers* Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn May 7 2013, 9:32am
    I was more concerned about Tauriel before AUJ imin Send a private message to imin May 7 2013, 1:22pm
    You know what I hope? Elwen Send a private message to Elwen May 7 2013, 5:52pm
    hmm, yeah, maybe it is just that the Sindarin/Sylvan elves are portrayed as so; much more rash than their cousins Xanaseb Send a private message to Xanaseb May 8 2013, 2:00am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.