Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD - "Herio!" Aragorn leads the charge

Loresilme
Valinor

May 6 2013, 3:29pm

Post #1 of 8 (550 views)
Shortcut
SCOD - "Herio!" Aragorn leads the charge Can't Post

Hello & welcome to today's SCOD!

And if one screencap is good, three are even better Smile.

1. Throughout the trilogy, Aragorn is shown battling Orcs several times. In each battle, his mental attitude, his physical bearing and strategy seemed to be a little different. How would you compare Aragorn's frame of mind and physical tactics at Helm's Deep to, e.g., Amon Hen in FOTR or at The Black Gate in ROTK?

2. Are the Elves at Helm's Deep carrying the same style weapon as shown in this Last Alliance battle scene from FOTR?

Thanks for visiting. Enjoy Smile!

elaen32
Gondor

May 6 2013, 4:05pm

Post #2 of 8 (443 views)
Shortcut
Very intense here, isn't he? [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably for the first time in years, Aragorn finds himself having to lead an army (albeit a small one) rather than a small group of Rangers or the Fellowship. At Amon Hen, the fight is more of a desperate scrap, here he is leading an organised troop of highly skilled elven warriors against a huge foe, in a much more military setting. Hence we see Aragorn as far more of a military leader here, but not yet a king, as in ROTK. It says something for Aragorn and also his standing with Elrond, that the Elves allow him to lead them at this point (even snooty Haldir).
Yes, I think the Elven swords do look to be of the same design as those in the Last Alliance- probably are the same, since all things Elven seem to be everlasting, even their swords. Maybe some of these elves fought at that battle or at least have kin who did

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 7 2013, 7:36pm

Post #3 of 8 (233 views)
Shortcut
elves [In reply to] Can't Post

id rather not think about the elves at helms deep, i dont want the movie to ruin my memories of the book!

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Brethil
Half-elven

May 7 2013, 8:05pm

Post #4 of 8 (236 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn and Elves charge [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And if one screencap is good, three are even better Smile. How true Loresilme!

1. Throughout the trilogy, Aragorn is shown battling Orcs several times. In each battle, his mental attitude, his physical bearing and strategy seemed to be a little different. How would you compare Aragorn's frame of mind and physical tactics at Helm's Deep to, e.g., Amon Hen in FOTR or at The Black Gate in ROTK? Once again I think we see evolution of Aragorn through all three scenes you reference. At Amon Hen he is very much still the Ranger, I think. He has an almost feral smile of welcome for the UrukHai, like a lone warrior focused only on wiping out his hated enemy. Then there is the franticness that happens when Boromir is lost, the Fellowship is broken and Merry and Pippin are taken; his confidence is shaken but he wasted little time on regret and chooses to rescue the Hobbits. At the Black Gate he has accepted the mantle, even to externally changing from the garb of the Ranger to that of the King. He remains confident, uncorruptible and hopeful, and he offers himself as a sacrifice to save the Quest - in JRRT's valuation the role of the true King. Helm's Deep is somewhere in the middle. He still looks the part of the Ranger, but has stepped up to lead the Elves on the wall. And in these caps I do feel like the ancient days have come again, as Numenor and the Firstborn charge to meet the enemy. So he has taken on a leadership role, still as a warrior, and not yet as King of Men...but he has definitely changed. In other days when he was a leader of men, it was in disguise as Thorongil. (Even as Chieftain of the Dunedain I think his role was much less frontal, and he seems to have spent much time journeying alone, not seeking to actively lead.) State of mind - well he has a confidence at Helm's Deep ultimately greater than Théoden's.
2. Are the Elves at Helm's Deep carrying the same style weapon as shown in this Last Alliance battle scene from FOTR? It does look like it. Their design probably didn't change, and some may be original even.

Thanks for visiting. Enjoy Smile! Thanks Loresilme! Very nice selection!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Darkstone
Immortal

May 7 2013, 8:24pm

Post #5 of 8 (280 views)
Shortcut
“Turn your face from the green world, and look where all seems barren and cold.” [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Throughout the trilogy, Aragorn is shown battling Orcs several times. In each battle, his mental attitude, his physical bearing and strategy seemed to be a little different. How would you compare Aragorn's frame of mind and physical tactics at Helm's Deep to, e.g., Amon Hen in FOTR or at The Black Gate in ROTK?

Aragorn is totally into elf mode here. His joyously feral murderous face is exactly how Tolkien’s elves should look going into battle.

At Amon Hen, especially with that morituri te salutant at the start, he shows that fatalistic sense of Man’s history as a “long defeat” which Tolkien speaks of in Letter #95.

At the Black Gate he has his two sides together, with the Elves’ sad sense of worldly loss united with his dedication to the race of Men (“Not this day!”)

2. Are the Elves at Helm's Deep carrying the same style weapon as shown in this Last Alliance battle scene from FOTR?

Yes. But the decoration or sword and armor are different, moving from a summer to an autumn motif.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Elwen
Lorien

May 7 2013, 8:40pm

Post #6 of 8 (369 views)
Shortcut
Every time I see the bit captured in the second screenshot.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't help thinking, "It's the Lothlorien People's Front Crack Suicide Squad!" in my best Monty Python voice.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

Rivendweller
Lorien

May 14 2013, 1:27am

Post #7 of 8 (158 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed reading your reply [In reply to] Can't Post

very very much.

Yours and Darkstones. These kind of replies are a pleasure to read. Thank you.

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 14 2013, 1:56am

Post #8 of 8 (182 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Rivendweller! [In reply to] Can't Post

I still love discussing these films and sharing them with our TORn brethren. I am always gratified and sometimes still surprised by the insights I see here! Angelic

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.