Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Incomplete Dialog Completed

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 6 2013, 1:45pm

Post #1 of 10 (877 views)
Shortcut
Incomplete Dialog Completed Can't Post

So, when movie Gandalf says, "The dawn will take you all" do you mentally complete the dialog with "and be stone to you"? I do. There are a few places in the film where Tolkien's dialog has been slightly changed or truncated for reasons best known the screen writers. Which are the ones you most often complete?

IMHO it's difficult to not do this since Tolkien was careful about rhythm and cadence in his writing.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

May 6 2013, 2:00pm

Post #2 of 10 (429 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do, at that point as well.

And Bilbo's description of Bag-end, where he ends with "all the comforts of home" or something like that, I always think "and that means comfort" as in the book.

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Luinnár
Rivendell

May 6 2013, 2:36pm

Post #3 of 10 (388 views)
Shortcut
Same here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandir
Gondor

May 6 2013, 4:09pm

Post #4 of 10 (387 views)
Shortcut
Also Kili to Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

"We didn't mean anything by it" ... "uncle." (so essential!) - gets me every time Crazy

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

May 6 2013, 6:19pm

Post #5 of 10 (287 views)
Shortcut
I too thought the "uncle" angle should have been played [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have added something to the dynamic of the characters knowing that Thorin was Kili and Fili's uncle.

As far as the rest of Tolkien's dialogue from the book that made it into the film I must admit I was rather disappointed. Every bit that did make it was altered in some way. Its almost as if the writers couldn't stand to let anything they didn't write get into the film. I would have rather seen less changes to the dialogue and had much of it straight out of the book on screen. Bu the parts they did cut short, I do hear the words from the book playing out in my head and wonder why the change?

(This post was edited by sinister71 on May 6 2013, 6:23pm)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 7 2013, 12:30am

Post #6 of 10 (167 views)
Shortcut
I thought I was the only one [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to know there are others who do this as well. I just watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey this past Saturday, and in my mind, Gandalf says " and be stone to you."

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 7 2013, 12:31am

Post #7 of 10 (148 views)
Shortcut
I think that too [In reply to] Can't Post

I always add that line in my head as well. I didn't know there were others that did this. Great minds think alike I suppose.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

May 7 2013, 2:41am

Post #8 of 10 (149 views)
Shortcut
not really in The Hobbit though [In reply to] Can't Post

but in FOTR for some reason when Bilbo says "I am old Gandalf I know I don't look it I'm beginning to feel it in my heart" I always finish it with " heart of hearts well preserved indeed"

GhostofMacbeth
Bree

May 18 2013, 3:07am

Post #9 of 10 (50 views)
Shortcut
I hate some of the changes [In reply to] Can't Post

The change to the begining passage was the worst to me, just let me hear it the way I read it. Not the insertion of "icky crawl things" or whatever it was, etc.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

May 18 2013, 4:11am

Post #10 of 10 (52 views)
Shortcut
It's kinda Faithful [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo is writing this book for Frodo so it's strange that he would be describing a Hobbit Hole To Frodo in the first place In The Film he says:

"In a Hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole filled with worms and oozy smells this was a Hobbit hole and that means good food, a warm hearth and all the comforts of home."

In the book it says

“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.