Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Chance to see manuscript pages hand-edited by Tolkien at EMP in Seattle

mwirkk
Rohan

May 1 2013, 3:15am

Post #1 of 15 (226 views)
Shortcut
Chance to see manuscript pages hand-edited by Tolkien at EMP in Seattle Can't Post

Hi folks!

Here's an FYI to folks in the Pacific Northwest: I just heard on a local Seattle news broadcast that one of our local museums, the "EMP", has on display a chance to view original hand-edited manuscript pages from J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Awesome!!

Pax
-Matt in Seattle (mwirkk)

The Black Knight Always Triumphs!!

-mwirkk :)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

May 1 2013, 3:31am

Post #2 of 15 (152 views)
Shortcut
Wow, thanks for the information! [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Olympia--but that warrants a trip to the Big City! Smile

Do you know how long the exhibit lasts? I found the opening date but no closing date. Thanks!!

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

mwirkk
Rohan

May 2 2013, 6:46am

Post #3 of 15 (172 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien manuscripts at EMP thru 10/13 it sounds like... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Aragalen! I have a friend who used to live here but has since moved back to his beloved CO. Oh well. I just wish we were allowed to take pics of the exhibit. At any rate, the best info I have found so far about how long we have to enjoy these authnentic artefacts is 6 months, according to a report by the Seattle Times. For more info, I'd just try continuining to periodically search on keywords like 'Tolkien', 'Manuscripts' and 'EMP'. Maybe we'll run into one another there? That'd be uberkuul! <8b -Matt in Seattle {btw- I'm originally from nearby Centralia, WA}

mwirkk
Rohan

May 3 2013, 1:46am

Post #4 of 15 (113 views)
Shortcut
I guess it would've made more sense if... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have a friend who used to live here but has since moved back to his beloved CO. Oh well. I just wish we were allowed to take pics of the exhibit. =============================== I guess it would make more sense about my CO friend if I'd 'a mentioned I promised to take some pics of the exhibit for him. But I see they're saying the part everyone wants to see most, the Tolkien manuscripts, you're not allowed to take pictures of. :'(

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 3 2013, 1:58am

Post #5 of 15 (116 views)
Shortcut
mwirkk! It's been ages... [In reply to] Can't Post

nice to see you again!

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 4 2013, 11:25am

Post #6 of 15 (119 views)
Shortcut
Just an observation - [In reply to] Can't Post

- it says that the exhibition includes original manuscript pages with Tolkien's handwritten corrections. But the word 'manuscript' itself means 'hand-written', so that seems a tad redundant.. Do they mean typed pages with Tolkien's hand-written corrections, I wonder? In which case, which pages? I have a catalogue of the Marquette Tolkien holdings, so it would be interesting to know.

(This post was edited by geordie on May 4 2013, 11:26am)

mwirkk
Rohan

May 4 2013, 6:42pm

Post #7 of 15 (92 views)
Shortcut
Great to be back [In reply to] Can't Post

Thx! Nice to hear from you too. I didn't go anywhere -- read my TORn news every day ... just been lurking. :)

mwirkk
Rohan

May 4 2013, 6:51pm

Post #8 of 15 (92 views)
Shortcut
Good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

Either there's some redundancy there, or someone has played free with the term. <8b

Either way, since there won't be any pics or vids, and unless someone beats me to it (or perhaps even iff they do!)--there are plenty of fans in the Seattle area, I promise to reply back with details of what I see when I visit the exhibit. Probably won't be this weekend, so hopefully either sometime in the evening this coming week or next weekend.

Cheers!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4 2013, 7:07pm

Post #9 of 15 (87 views)
Shortcut
I doubt you'll be seeing originals [In reply to] Can't Post

You will probably view reproductions of the originals. The original papers are extremely fragile, and they're kept in temperature-controlled rooms at Marquette. I've had the privilege of visiting the archives, and you can view micro-fiche copies, and they have some full-size reproductions, but only authorized scholars have access to the original documents.

HOWEVER, it's an amzaing experience to view Tolkien's writing, and you will have a marvelous time. I hope Matt Blessing attends. He's the person in charge of the Marquette collection, and he gives great talks.

mwirkk
Rohan

May 5 2013, 2:23pm

Post #10 of 15 (80 views)
Shortcut
Great info [In reply to] Can't Post

That's great info Entmaiden. That makes sense. I will certainly be keeping that in mind. Thanks!! :)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 5 2013, 3:21pm

Post #11 of 15 (79 views)
Shortcut
*twitch* I wish I could be there! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was so lucky to see some of Tolkien's hand-written work before in Chicago during a special display of maps and in NYC there were hand-written pages of his work along with a written menu. Here's a portion of my posting on that part of the trip.

While in NYC, I visited Fordham University and the Tolkien Manuscript Exhibit with some fellow sibbies. There was a table with various Tolkien publications, including the Encyclopedia our TORnsibs contributed to. SOOOOOOO exciting! :)

Then I approached the 2 glass cases of Tolkien's hand-written work. Michael Blessing (our museum host) described the history and relevance of each page. It was hard to focus on those sheets as I tried to get my head around what I was looking at. I tried to drink in every inch of Tolkien's penmanship, writings, layout, spelling, and overall presence.

I saw his shortcut words or slangs in his drafts, like 'kild orks' which was then written out correctly in a finished copy. He also wrote notes so miniscule that they were missed for years... such as the original name of the pub was Green man which he later changed to Green dragon. This note was found in microscopic print on a much-viewed sheet… overlooked every time.

Another interesting page had 2 menus... hobbity menus. I asked if I could copy them down, and Mr. Blessing said yes... bless 'im :D My hand was shaking as I scribbled down the words on the back of the exhibit flyer.

Menu

Clear asparagus soup

Salmon -- Mayonnaise

Veal cutlets & Bacon

Cauliflower -- New Potatoes

Charlotte Russe & Strawberries

Cheese Straws

Menu

Windsor Soup

Braised Ham

Celery -- New Potatoes

Pompadour Pudding

Custard

There was also a copy of a chart Tolkien sketched out with the timeline of each of the storylines for The Lord of the Rings... so detailed and sprawling that I didn't have a chance to really appreciate it as I wanted.

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

May 5 2013, 6:08pm

Post #12 of 15 (79 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps, but the article does say "original manuscript pages"? [In reply to] Can't Post

You may be correct, entmaiden; but I'm hoping they're the real thing! The article also says:

"In the exhibit's center lies a treasure, borrowed from Marquette University: original manuscript pages from J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings", in which you can see the author's handwritten revisions (and learn Frodo's original name). Also included are drawings by C.S. Lewis, and a letter from Tolkien to a University of Washington professor who wondered, years ago, whether the word "hobbit"¯ was in any way influenced by Sinclair Lewis' "Babbitt"¯ (It was.)".

http://seattletimes.com/text/2020836636.html

Blush

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

(This post was edited by entmaiden on May 5 2013, 11:14pm)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

May 5 2013, 6:12pm

Post #13 of 15 (74 views)
Shortcut
I hope so too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure when I can go, but I'll let you know before I do! And thanks for the link!

I used to live in Chehalis for a while, but am originally from Union on Hood Canal, and lived in the Skokomish Valley most of my life. I do visit Centralia frequently, especially to eat at Burgerville Smile

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 5 2013, 11:17pm

Post #14 of 15 (72 views)
Shortcut
I understand, but you won't be able to handle anything. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's possible they're bringing original pages, but the Marquette collection has several authentic-looking reproductions that have been on display before. Either way, you'll see Tolkien's own writing, with strike-throughs, overwrites and drawings. It's magnificent.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

May 5 2013, 11:49pm

Post #15 of 15 (76 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume they'll be in a case or otherwise protected. And I agree, reproductions or originals, either way it will be great to see! :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.