Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Mirkwood Elves in DoS preview

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 5 2013, 10:07am

Post #1 of 12 (1416 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood Elves in DoS preview Can't Post

There is a clip in the release preview showing Tauriel, an orc, and supposedly Legolas.
I can only imagine that they endeavor to extract the purpose behind the orcs' pursuit of the Dwarves.
Once they learn the larger plot, Legolas is sent to Dale to inform the Men there and to search for the
Dwarven fugitives. That may explain why Legolas is with Bard. This is pure conjecture, but for the sake
of entertainment, do any of you think this might be anti-climactic? Will these little story lines detract
from our connection to Bilbo and the Dwarves? Part of me thinks that it is potentially burdensome to place Bilbo
and company's experience in the context of the larger picture, rather than experiencing the adventure
from the more immediate perspective of Bilbo and the Dwarves. That is, through these other characters
and storylines, we see the doom of Bilbo and co. long before they encounter it. While foreshadowing is
effective, there almost is not enough in the Hobbit for it to be a strength rather than a distraction. Do
you understand what I write? Is this a legitimate concern? thanks guys!
oh, and I do like the looks of the Master of Dale and the men there as well! They almost remind me
an eastern steppe culture Laugh.

Arandir
Gondor

May 5 2013, 10:15am

Post #2 of 12 (583 views)
Shortcut
Interesting idea but [In reply to] Can't Post

isn't the picture of Bard and Legolas from the third film? It would seem a bit late if that scene played out in the last film - I always thought that that picture took place after the destruction of Lake-Town and the Wood Elves go to their aid.

Otherwise, although I like the idea, I'm not really sure it would be a good choice in the film (if it were to happen) Unsure

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

LordotRings93
Rohan

May 5 2013, 1:05pm

Post #3 of 12 (485 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

They're torturing the orc to see what they're doing in Mirkwood, not essentially to help the dwarves, as they hate the dwarves and will imprison them, and be even angrier once they escape.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

May 5 2013, 5:35pm

Post #4 of 12 (382 views)
Shortcut
Do we even know the Orcs go into Mirkwood? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they are just on the borders. I think there is enough other interesting stuff in Mirkwood without having to add Orcs venturing into there as well. They need to learn to leave well enough alone and trust the source material they are working with. Unsure

StoneHex104
Rivendell

May 5 2013, 6:01pm

Post #5 of 12 (381 views)
Shortcut
If you watched the preview you would understand [In reply to] Can't Post

The orcs are battling the elves at the gate, and then they enter the realm and they are in a battle.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

May 5 2013, 7:00pm

Post #6 of 12 (353 views)
Shortcut
All I see is a bunch of green screen [In reply to] Can't Post

with elves and orcs. It very well could be at the eves of Mirkwood, or DolGuldur for all we know. They do show her at the gate but that is merely entering Thranduil's halls no battling. Some of the fighting in the sneak peak looks to be DolGuldur which I would consider Orcs from there not to be the same ones chasing the dwarfs. I have no issue with the elves fighting orcs at DolGuldur but think they should keep them separate from the orcs chasing Bilbo and Thorin.

StoneHex104
Rivendell

May 5 2013, 7:26pm

Post #7 of 12 (311 views)
Shortcut
Fair point [In reply to] Can't Post

But PJ is enthusiastic in adding the orcs storyline to the film :/

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

May 5 2013, 7:42pm

Post #8 of 12 (323 views)
Shortcut
I would be more enthusiastic if [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson stuck to what Tolkien wrote with only minor embellishments, instead of writing a bunch of nonsensical scenarios that are totally made up, and really have no place in this story. IMHO make no sense in telling Bilbo's story. I found Peter Jackson's made up bits to be the weakest parts of AUJ, almost all of which, I think the film would have been better without. Unsure

To each their own though. Wink

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 5 2013, 8:23pm

Post #9 of 12 (308 views)
Shortcut
i'm not sure if... [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog and company will follow them into Mirkwood, they may be other orcs sent from dol-guldur. i hope the focus is on the spiders rather than on the orcs.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

LordotRings93
Rohan

May 5 2013, 9:20pm

Post #10 of 12 (279 views)
Shortcut
To each their own, indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad PJ is adding these new storylines. The Hobbit as adapted word for word from the book would be, IMO, very boring and childish. The novel works great with being child-friendly since it is a novel, but when translating it to film, things have to be added for the sake of keeping an interesting story, and more focus on Azog and Dol Guldur orcs is welcome, as it adds something new to the story that fans can speculate on. These boards would be awfully monotonous and boring otherwise. I find the best topics are the ones when users wonder about what's going to happen. It's great buildup to the film.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

May 5 2013, 10:27pm

Post #11 of 12 (245 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

To each their own....

The best parts of The Hobbit AUJ were the parts that stuck to that book, when Peter Jackson stuck to Tolkien the film was great but otherwise it was ehhhh could have been much betterUnsure

If I wanted something made up I would go see something new and original. I wanted Tolkien on film which is what the Hobbit is. Plus the Hobbit however IS supposed to be based on a book and should stick as close as possible to that book as possible. NOT word for word but as close as possible to the source material. Otherwise why not write something completely new? I personally wanted the Hobbit not some subpar story about orc vengeance it adds nothing IMO to Bilbo's tale Crazy Done the right way I feel that the Hobbit could have rivaled LOTR but this cartoon version of middle earth we got where there is no physical danger to the main characters is not even close to the greatness that LOTR was.

(This post was edited by sinister71 on May 5 2013, 10:29pm)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 5 2013, 11:11pm

Post #12 of 12 (266 views)
Shortcut
i could not agree more! [In reply to] Can't Post

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.