The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
EW.com: Guillermo del Toro Talks Hobbit

calisuri
PTB

Dec 20 2007, 3:18am

Post #1 of 22 (2663 views)
Shortcut
EW.com: Guillermo del Toro Talks Hobbit Can't Post

Guillermo del ToroEW.com has asked Guillermo del Toro the all important 'Hobbit' question, and his answer has this 'del Toro' fan pretty excited: "You know, I think I’ve been abroad too long. I’ve heard some rumblings, but nothing official. I don’t want to think about it because it’s such an eventuality. It’s the only Tolkien book I read. I tried my best to read Lord of the Rings, the trilogy. I could not. I could not. They were very dense. And then one day, I bought The Hobbit. I read it and I loved it. So it would be a privilege. But listen, I wish I knew. At this stage, after Hellboy II, I’m unemployed. [Laughs]" [Read Full Article]

The Mysterious Calisuri

luvgabe
The Shire

Dec 20 2007, 2:36pm

Post #2 of 22 (1541 views)
Shortcut
del Torro & Hobbit? God forbid [In reply to] Can't Post

I sure hope del Toro will not direct The Hobbit. I hated (yes, hated!) his Pan’s Labyrinth. Besides, by his own admission, he found Tolkien's LOTR trilogy "too dense" for him to read. Geesh.... Frown

thadwhit

Dec 20 2007, 2:59pm

Post #3 of 22 (1435 views)
Shortcut
del Toro would be ok [In reply to] Can't Post

I would prefer that Jackson direct it himself, but if not, del Toro would be the best alternative. Personally I thought Pan's Labyrinth was an amazing movie. He did read the Hobbit. Not reading the main books is a strike against him, but lets face it the first time through Fellowship takes some work and dedication, as the pacing is quite slow. Sure all us nerds can find that stuff interesting upon re-readings, but for first timers it's a chore. In fact although the movies have inspired many to read the books, there are quite a few as well who are quite satisfied with the movies and never bother with the books. Unfortunate of course, but there's no reason del Toro wouldn't make a fantastic Hobbit movie. Let's hope PJ just finishes what he started though, that's what the fans want.

"Live Free or Die, for Death is not the Worst of Evils."
John Stark

Aquila

Dec 20 2007, 5:17pm

Post #4 of 22 (1436 views)
Shortcut
If not Pete, then del Toro would be great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think we should hold it against Guillermo del Toro for not reading the book. After all, he is not a native English speaker, and perhaps he was trying to read them in English. Besides, we know of a particular Frodo who didn't read the book either, and that turned out OKWink

Personally, except for Pete himself, del Toro or Alfonzo Cuaron would be equally good choices.

karen
The Shire

Dec 20 2007, 6:23pm

Post #5 of 22 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson should be the one to direct [In reply to] Can't Post

If del toro hasn't even read the books then he is not the one for the Hobbit. So what if he loved the Hobbit, he can't possibly "get it" if he has only read the Hobbit and not LOTR's. Not only is Jackson the genius on this kinda of movie making but his team is too. Would toro have Allen Lee or John Howe working with him? Would Weta be involved then? Can't make Hobbit without them. And if toro can't read LOTR, then for sure he couldn't get through The Silmarillion and I am hoping for Jackson to take that project on in the future also.

faramir_remus

Dec 20 2007, 6:51pm

Post #6 of 22 (1422 views)
Shortcut
If we must [In reply to] Can't Post

If we have to do without PJ, I can't think of a better person to adapt the Hobbit than Mr. del Toro. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but Pan's Labrynth was all sorts of amazing, with his use of effects and the way he balanced the fairytale with the violence and agression that surrounded the heroine. I don't think the Hobbit would suffer for being in the hands of the Spaniard, I think that it would just be different.
I agree with the Star Wars analogy too. I mean, if it worked for Empire Strikes Back, I guess we can't complain too loudly. And at least he's read the Hobbit. This can be taken as a good thing, since the tone of both stories are completely different, one being a saga, and the other a children's story. Without the influence of LOTR hanging over, it might be interesting to see what he does with it.
Of course, now that I've talked myself into the possibility, they're going to hire somebody like Chris Colombus or (god forbid) Brett Ratner.

(This post was edited by faramir_remus on Dec 20 2007, 6:52pm)

calisuri
PTB

Dec 20 2007, 7:52pm

Post #7 of 22 (1373 views)
Shortcut
Completely agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

Having just finished watching Pan's Labyrinth last weekend, I was completely blown away by the reality and balance he brought to that film. (BTW - if you have kids, never let them watch that movie!!! It freaked me out and I'm 32! hah)

The Mysterious Calisuri

CAhobbit
Rohan

Dec 20 2007, 9:22pm

Post #8 of 22 (1359 views)
Shortcut
Nooooooo, not Brett Ratner!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine if Micheal Bay was at the helm (my brain wants to explode just thinking of the prospect).

And from a more recent South Park episode....
General: Those aren't ideas, those are special effects!
Michael Bay: I... don't understand the difference.
General: I know you don't. Get him out of here!

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

deej
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2007, 9:25pm

Post #9 of 22 (1325 views)
Shortcut
I think he would be a good choice [In reply to] Can't Post

I've said this in another thread, but I really like his films, and I think his visual style would fit the tone of the story. Plus, he's a geek, so i'm guessing he'll want to stay true to the spirit of the book.

The Hobbit is Happening!

Bilbo Fans for Martin Freeman!

ShadoFaxs
Rivendell

Dec 21 2007, 12:53am

Post #10 of 22 (1310 views)
Shortcut
Agreed except... [In reply to] Can't Post

Del Toro is Mexican. He's lived in La for several years.

The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth were made in Spain, and although their subject is nominally the Spanish Civil War, Guillermo was born in Guadalajara, Mexico, and got his start in movies doing make-up, FX and producing and directing TV shows in Mexico.

ShadoFaxs
Rivendell

Dec 21 2007, 12:59am

Post #11 of 22 (1363 views)
Shortcut
I would love it if Del Toro directed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cronos, The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth are brilliant films - those movies might not be your personal cuppa tea but Del Toro is the real deal as a fimmaker: imaginative, nuanced, intelligent, visually sophisticated, totally comfortable with complex stories and elaborate FX. Perfect.

I would love for Alphonso Cuaron to do it but he's waaaaay too busy with other projects.

I HATE the idea of Raimi doing it. Hate it.

If PJ's unavailable (and I for one would love to see his Temeraire) then Del Toro is no compromise for me.

Patty
Immortal

Dec 21 2007, 3:50am

Post #12 of 22 (1304 views)
Shortcut
Hey ShadoFaxs, welcome back... [In reply to] Can't Post

didya see my post on HTF?

All the 1st and and second agers are coming back. Yay!

For Gondor!

elentari3018
Rohan

Dec 21 2007, 7:13am

Post #13 of 22 (1329 views)
Shortcut
NO NO AND NO! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not reading the books are a SIN. He's out for SURE.
On my bad list.
Seriously.

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

igorski

Dec 21 2007, 8:04am

Post #14 of 22 (1319 views)
Shortcut
_ [In reply to] Can't Post

you guys are such geeks! haha. :)

who cares if he hasnt read the lord of the rings. the hobbit is pretty much a stand-alone book. yes, it has a sequel (or sequels) but you dont need the lord of the rings to "get" it. whats with you all anyway.

i don't mind if he gets to direct. i have only seen pan's laberynth and it was awesome. i have only seen the spider-man films by raimi and not his other films, maybe its because i don't really like spiderman i wouldn't want him to do it. then again, who knows how things might end up like.

shouldnt we worried about who is going to write it?

(This post was edited by igorski on Dec 21 2007, 8:05am)

elentari3018
Rohan

Dec 21 2007, 8:06am

Post #15 of 22 (1327 views)
Shortcut
Only a director who knows the books... [In reply to] Can't Post

would do a good job ADAPTING it. It's crucial he knows his stuff... What ...will he have deviations that would totally change the book? That wouldn't be good unless it was a good deviation. :p (which PJ even has sins of doing too many of that in certain places in the movies.)
Also Philippa Boyens definitely should be back on board to write it. We need her definitely.

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2007, 8:21am

Post #16 of 22 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Well, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

We like to hang out on a website devoted to LOTR and talk about it in detail. Some of us have been posting here regularly since long before the first LOTR movie came out. Geekiness is a given. Welcome to TORN! Wink

We have lots of different opinions on every subject here, and we like to discuss them. But one of the main rules here is that no personal insults or attacks are allowed. Comments like "whats with you all anyway" can come across as insulting, and you'll get along better here without them. You can state any opinion you have as long as you're polite to your fellow posters. Just be prepared for others to disagree and have opinions just as strong as yours.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Windfola
The Shire

Dec 21 2007, 9:13am

Post #17 of 22 (1316 views)
Shortcut
hmmmm? [In reply to] Can't Post

he is not quite honest here, I remeber an interview for a spanish magazine from last year in which he said he doesn't particlularly get Tolkien and he was barely able to finish the Hobbit.

HUORN
The Shire

Dec 23 2007, 2:34am

Post #18 of 22 (1262 views)
Shortcut
ouch [In reply to] Can't Post

That doesn't sound good. But.....

He is very much into mythology and symbolism and to me he appears to have integrity in his work so it could work. Watch the Power of Myth on the second Pan's Lab DVD and you'll see he is coming from the right place to take on a movie like this. Jackson was coming more from a horror B movie place which was not good for a Tolkien work.

Of the Harry Potter movies DelToro's strayed the most from the book but I actually enjoyed it anyway.

What I'm trying to say is there could be much worse choices than DelToro.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 23 2007, 3:09am

Post #19 of 22 (1276 views)
Shortcut
I think you might be confusing Guillermo del Toro with Alfonso Cuaron [In reply to] Can't Post

Cuaron did the 3rd HP movie. To my knowlege, del Toro has yet to direct one (though that would be nice Smile). I'd like to see either tackle The Hobbit.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

HUORN
The Shire

Dec 23 2007, 4:28am

Post #20 of 22 (1260 views)
Shortcut
really? [In reply to] Can't Post

My bad. I really don't know much about the HP movies other than my saplings watching them over and over and wife being all into the books and now movies. I don't know why I assumed that. Huh

Assuming he did Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's backbone I'd still be curious to see what he would come up with for the Hobbit.

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 23 2007, 5:17am

Post #21 of 22 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Hey Huron I made the same mistake at first. [In reply to] Can't Post

After I saw his picture I realized they weren’t the same guy. I did prefer the director for Hellboy (del Toro) over the one for Azkaban (Cuaron) thought.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

faramir_remus

Dec 24 2007, 5:49am

Post #22 of 22 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Terribly sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be very careful to know the nationalities of my directors in the future. Does that satisfy? ;) Seriously though, I didn't know he was from Mexico... that explains a lot in my head.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.