Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dori is the strongest...

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 4 2013, 10:44am

Post #1 of 15 (971 views)
Shortcut
Dori is the strongest... Can't Post

after a bit of reading the other night , in the book it clearly says Dori is the strongest dwarf in the company...is there any reference to this in the film?

on a flight back home i was watching thehobbit, i noticed it starts with a close up of the mgm lions eye...finishes with a dragons... pretty cool

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

May 4 2013, 10:56am

Post #2 of 15 (557 views)
Shortcut
I read somewhere in a related movie book that at least filmmakers consider it [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have no seen any sight of this in the movie except perhaps the moment when he is grabbed to Gandalf´s with Ori hanging of his feet. Ori must be a heavy burden heheh specially since he shows that little belly in bag enda LOL

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 4 2013, 1:47pm

Post #3 of 15 (491 views)
Shortcut
That was an amazing way to keep Gandalf... [In reply to] Can't Post

From Using his Staff..
against the Orcs/Wargs...

he had 2 Dwarves hanging on
for dear Life?

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 4 2013, 2:48pm

Post #4 of 15 (453 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien also wrote that Fili is the youngest and has the best sight [In reply to] Can't Post

And we all know that Jackson has his own views about that. I don't think that the subject comes up until the company reaches the enchanted stream in Mirkwood.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

DanielLB
Immortal

May 4 2013, 3:08pm

Post #5 of 15 (416 views)
Shortcut
No specific reference in that actual film. [In reply to] Can't Post

But in the Annual/Almanac it does say that Dori is the strongest of the Company, which stays true to the book.

I think Dwalin just "appears" to be stronger and fiercer. We haven't really seen Dori fight, and how does one measure "strength"?

Macfeast
Rohan

May 4 2013, 3:38pm

Post #6 of 15 (424 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, Dwalin wears his "badass strength" openly on his sleeves, for all to see... [In reply to] Can't Post

...so I think it's natural to think of him as the strongest. Even if Dori is physically stronger, how would we tell?

Ok, I now have an addition to my wish-list for the coming two films; An arm-wrestling contest between the two (in what context? I have no idea), with Dori emerging the victorious Laugh

(This post was edited by Macfeast on May 4 2013, 3:42pm)

Angharad73
Rohan

May 4 2013, 5:55pm

Post #7 of 15 (363 views)
Shortcut
Also, being physically strong... [In reply to] Can't Post

...doesn't necessarily mean that one is a great fighter. Maybe Dori is stronger than Dwalin, as in he can lift/carry more, but Dwalin is still the better, more experienced and hardened fighter...

Regarding Dori, one thing I have noticed in the movie, is that after the escape from the Goblin caves, when Gandalf and the Dwarves think Bilbo is gone, one of the other Dwarves says 'I thought he was with Dori'. I always thought that that was a reference to the book, where Dori is the one who was supposed to carry Bilbo on his back but dropped him. In the movie, though, there is no mention of anyone carrying Bilbo at all.

Marionette
Rohan

May 4 2013, 9:13pm

Post #8 of 15 (324 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

He is, and Fili has the best sigh

By the way Am I correct?: Kili is actually older than Fili in the book. right?

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Marionette
Rohan

May 4 2013, 9:15pm

Post #9 of 15 (302 views)
Shortcut
Oh Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I was asking that, didn´t see you post

For certain they are. I wonder why Fili isn´t the youngest in the film. Why to do such pointless changes?

I always wondered that about movie adaptations

Queen

Angharad73
Rohan

May 4 2013, 9:50pm

Post #10 of 15 (307 views)
Shortcut
If I remember correctly [In reply to] Can't Post

... the birth order of Fili and Kili was switched around at some point. Kili started out as the older brother, but according to Appendix A, Kili is now the younger of the two.

Or am I mixing something up?

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

May 4 2013, 10:51pm

Post #11 of 15 (267 views)
Shortcut
Think your right [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... the birth order of Fili and Kili was switched around at some point. Kili started out as the older brother, but according to Appendix A, Kili is now the younger of the two.

Or am I mixing something up?

I'm sure Tolkien swapped their birthdates around in the appendices of The Return of the King and the filmmakers took that into account.

Yes, my username is terrible.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

May 5 2013, 12:53am

Post #12 of 15 (250 views)
Shortcut
I think it says... [In reply to] Can't Post

in the appendices that Fili is 82 and Kili 77 at the time of the hobbit (based on the years they were born). It is odd that they say in the Hobbit that Fili is youngest, maybe Thorin was just getting them/their ages mixed up (like any uncle might confuse their nephews). He certainly gets them mixed up in the movie.

Marionette
Rohan

May 5 2013, 4:15am

Post #13 of 15 (218 views)
Shortcut
Well, Tolkien changed his mind many times [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why we find some incoherent information in different writings.

I guess Kili and Fili's age is part of this.

I can imagine he changed his mind about The Hobbit after writing LOTR and the rest of the Silmarillion. I can understand that,, it's natural for us writers to edit, change, improve our works with the time and growing of the world we are creating..

I have heard he actually wanted to re-write The Hobbit

Queen

DanielLB
Immortal

May 5 2013, 8:46am

Post #14 of 15 (192 views)
Shortcut
More than "wanted to re-write The Hobbit" [In reply to] Can't Post

In 1960 he did begin a re-write of The Hobbit, to match the tone and geography of The Lord of the Rings. However, this was never published in the revised editions of the book (in the third edition of 1966, Tolkien had only made minor changes), and Tolkien abandoned the re-write.

You can read it, though, in Volume II of John Rateliff’s "The History of the Hobbit".

Smile

Marionette
Rohan

May 5 2013, 3:02pm

Post #15 of 15 (155 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Read something about this but never had a clear information.

Queen

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.