Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
"Is Legolas a he or a she?"

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 2 2013, 8:40am

Post #1 of 19 (525 views)
Shortcut
"Is Legolas a he or a she?" Can't Post

...said Little Eldarion (age 5) tonight.

That one was easy enough to answer, but they get harder. Here's a few more recent questions from LE and his older brother Eldarion (age 7). (If you haven't seen my other posts on them, they've become obsessive fans of AUJ and all things Hobbity, and recently watched the LOTR trilogy [heavily censored, of course!]).

[on seeing Legolas for the first time in the Council of Elrond] "Oh! Is Legolas Galadriel's wife?"

[just before the start of the Battle of Helm's Deep] "Does Legolas have to go to inside the caves with the women and children?"

"How does Gandalf get his staff back?"

"How long did it take everyone everywhere to realize that Middle-earth had been freed of all evil [after the ring was destroyed]?"

"Does Smaug know the smell of wizards?"

"If Legolas comes from Mirkwood like Thranduil, is he there with Thranduil and the other Elves after Smaug attacks Erebor?"

"Why does the Nazgul theme play here [while Thorin's charging off the tree to attack Azog]?"

And a revelation: "Lindir is the babysitter for the Dwarves, right? That must be a really tough job!"

Eldarion also held a discourse on the Descending Third and Mordor Threat themes (both boys readily identify these in the movies). All on his own, he concluded that Azog must have a connection to Mordor or Sauron because we hear the former theme when we see Azog.

Eldarion also mused over whether he likes The Hobbit book or movie better. He noted that the book gives us lots of information that we don't get in the movie, but he really likes the movie. His final conclusion: "I like the book better than the movie, but I also like the movie better than the book!"

Starling
Half-elven

May 2 2013, 9:27am

Post #2 of 19 (277 views)
Shortcut
Lindir is the babysitter for the dwarves? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is gold. Pure gold. Cool

And that last comment is brilliant. A few adults might be wise to think on it.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2013, 10:14am

Post #3 of 19 (260 views)
Shortcut
The smell of a wizard! [In reply to] Can't Post

What an insight, and revelation: one of the advantages of having Bilbo along is that Smaug would not recognize his smell, but then, Smaug would not recognize Gandalf's, either!

...er, do wizards have a smell? Shocked

Your young'uns are definitely on my list of who I'd like to watch the movies with, Ro! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Angharad73
Rohan

May 2 2013, 10:23am

Post #4 of 19 (261 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ should hire your kids to watch the movies before they are released to the public. Their observations might be very useful... He can borrow my daughter, too (she's 8 and completely Tolkien-obsessed). Together they should spot all the highly little errors and unexplained things.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 2 2013, 11:08am

Post #5 of 19 (267 views)
Shortcut
holy varda! [In reply to] Can't Post

your children ask +great+ questions!

some of my favorites:

"does legolas have to go inside the caves with the women and chlldren?"

"does smaug know the smell of wizards?"

brilliant observation, re book vs. film!!! astounding!

btw, do your children think galadriel is a man? (re the legolas as galadriel's wife question.)

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 2 2013, 11:16am

Post #6 of 19 (242 views)
Shortcut
Surely less common than a Hobbit's smell? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Your young'uns are definitely on my list of who I'd like to watch the movies with, Ro! Smile

Doubt it! They'd talk your ear off through the whole thing. We have to watch it with subtitles on so we can see the dialog! There's a lot to be said for getting to watch it *without* a running commentary. I have almost trained them to hush during Thorin's entrance, and the Misty Mountains song. Almost.

And actually I suspect wizards *do* have a smell. Rather smoky and unwashed, methinks. But would a dragon recognize it? No more so than that of a Hobbit, I'd bet!

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

May 2 2013, 11:23am

Post #7 of 19 (247 views)
Shortcut
Kids! [In reply to] Can't Post

What precious comments!

Tell Eldarion that I'll have to go back now to pick those music themes! His ears are better than mine!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 2 2013, 11:28am

Post #8 of 19 (251 views)
Shortcut
There's another saying I need to use in everyday conversations. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Holy Varda!" Wink Thanks, Mac. Smile

In Reply To

btw, do your children think galadriel is a man? (re the legolas as galadriel's wife question.)

Nope, they know Galadriel is female. Eldarion is particularly smitten with her, and loves the White Council scene because that's where she is. So, it appears that they're just a little unclear on Legolas's gender. LOL!

(This post was edited by Roheryn on May 2 2013, 11:29am)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 2 2013, 5:53pm

Post #9 of 19 (202 views)
Shortcut
Those are great comments! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I can see how distracting the running commentary could get, With my two, the adults in the household find ourselves constantly telling them to move out of the way of the picture.

Beamer and my Hobbit miss the details, generally, though they do pick up on music cues after hearing the soundtrack so many times. On the other hand, they love behind-the-scenes stuff and commentaries (I can hardly wait 'til they watch LOTR - after we finish the books), and Beamer will ask the occasional philosophy or geopolitical question. And my Hobbit is hosting a "Dwarves Run Amok" party in his Bag End lego set, at the end of which he has two Gandalfs on the ceiling; one of whom has lost his hat, the other his staff. For some reason, lego-Gandalf has many weird and interesting adventures around our house.

BTW, my Hobbit saw this post as I was writing it, and has now moved Fili and Kili to Bag End, where Fili is bashing people with plates and Kili is climbing the shelves. And Bilbo is defending himself with chicken drumsticks. And now there's a horse dancing on the table. And my Hobbit's saying, 'Horses and Hobbits and Dwarves, oh my!'

I think I'll move on before this gets any weirder...
*wanders toward WtR spreadsheet, humming 'Oh, what a feeling, when we're dancing on the ceiling...'*

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 2 2013, 6:19pm

Post #10 of 19 (208 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear... [In reply to] Can't Post

well, I have to say I did originally think that Orlando Bloom was too young and pretty to fit the picture I had of Legolas in my mind's eye, so I know where Little Eldarion is coming from...

In Reply To

"Lindir is the babysitter for the Dwarves, right? That must be a really tough job!"

Absolutely! Not a job I'd want...

In Reply To
"I like the book better than the movie, but I also like the movie better than the book!"

Couldn't have said it better myself! Sometimes kids see straight through to the heart of the matter. Smile

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

elaen32
Gondor

May 2 2013, 8:24pm

Post #11 of 19 (183 views)
Shortcut
Great questions!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And such bright kids- these really put a smile on my face! Poor old Legolas really has some gender issues, doesn't he? I can understand the boys being confused. I remember taking my niece, who was 10 at the time, to see ROTK- she had seen FOTR and TTT but was not a particular fan, but had seen Pirates of the Caribbean and fallen in love with Orlando in that. This of course was her motivation for coming to ROTK. At the end, she was really disappointed "You said Orlando Bloom was in this film" she said accusingly. When I pointed him out, she refused to believe it, because she had spent most of the film thinking that Legolas was a girl! Now, I can't imagine anybody asking whether Thorin was a boy or a girl.....Wink

PS Also liked the idea of Lindir as baby sitter- I think it's part of the job of the sitter to sit resignedlly whilst the unruly kids/dwarves trash the place, isn't it?

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Brethil
Half-elven

May 2 2013, 9:34pm

Post #12 of 19 (180 views)
Shortcut
That last comment is perfect. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
[on seeing Legolas for the first time in the Council of Elrond] "Oh! Is Legolas Galadriel's wife?" Why oh why can I see Gimli simply ROLLING after this gem!?

"How does Gandalf get his staff back?" Highly perceptive...

""Does Smaug know the smell of wizards?" Excellent question - they must have a smell. If Gandalf has that Valinor-air scent I suppose it rather gives him away. As you say maybe pipe-smoke too...

"Why does the Nazgul theme play here [while Thorin's charging off the tree to attack Azog]?" Wow. I didn't exactly pick that up until someone here told me. Wow.

And a revelation: "Lindir is the babysitter for the Dwarves, right? That must be a really tough job!" Haha, yes boys it IS a tough job, which is why poor Lindir looks like he has a week-old lime stuck in his cheek when he looks at the Dwarves.(I would gladly take over the sitting job, thus having a say on bedtimes, bed assignments, all things of a bed-nature.)

Eldarion also held a discourse on the Descending Third and Mordor Threat themes (both boys readily identify these in the movies). All on his own, he concluded that Azog must have a connection to Mordor or Sauron because we hear the former theme when we see Azog. As I said above I think he has a better grasp than I do on themes.

Eldarion also mused over whether he likes The Hobbit book or movie better. He noted that the book gives us lots of information that we don't get in the movie, but he really likes the movie. His final conclusion: "I like the book better than the movie, but I also like the movie better than the book!"
That's my new answer, when people ask me that question. Wish I had thought of it!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

CuriousG
Valinor

May 2 2013, 9:52pm

Post #13 of 19 (161 views)
Shortcut
Well, that answer fits in with your Manwe tagline too. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

May 2 2013, 10:07pm

Post #14 of 19 (174 views)
Shortcut
It does fit! [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad someone clever in a kilt told me it was a good one... Wink

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 2 2013, 11:48pm

Post #15 of 19 (165 views)
Shortcut
*staggers and chuckles* Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

A couple of those questions are the eternal ones everyone seems to struggle with... but Lindir a babysitter! Figsit instead of Figwit ;)

Those guys are BIG THINKERS! A few of those had mine eyes a'poppin! Well Done! Wow!

Do they like to draw pictures? I'd be fascinated to see what their imagination would do there!

Thank you for this. You're gents are just amazing!

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

May 3 2013, 7:32am

Post #16 of 19 (149 views)
Shortcut
Adorable and very perceptive questions [In reply to] Can't Post

The Legolas gender confusion reminds me of this image:

(This post was edited by Fredeghar Wayfarer on May 3 2013, 7:33am)
Attachments: heyeowyn.jpg (39.6 KB)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 4 2013, 8:03am

Post #17 of 19 (115 views)
Shortcut
Lindir the babysitter [In reply to] Can't Post

was my favourite. Laugh I think Eldarion was putting it into terms he understands well: the watchful adult has to keep a close eye on the rowdy youngsters (or Dwarves).

Sometimes Eldarion and LE take it all a little too much to heart: they've started doing a fantastic job tidying things up (sometimes!!!) when asked, but they do it to "Blunt the Knives" either singing it on their own or with the CD playing loudly, and half the tidy-up fun is flinging objects across the room trying to land them in their correct places. I feel like Bilbo puffing after them saying, "No! Not that one! Put that down! Stop flinging! SLOW DOWN!!!"

They haven't yet started drawing Hobbit-themed pictures, though they've had a fantastic time first doing Erebor, then Mordor, in their sandpit -- each was a multi-day project. Erebor even had the Arkenstone carefully buried at its heart.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 4 2013, 2:02pm

Post #18 of 19 (89 views)
Shortcut
**haha!** [In reply to] Can't Post

That's great!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 4 2013, 5:04pm

Post #19 of 19 (94 views)
Shortcut
Oh, what an image! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cleaning up 'Blunt the Knives' style - priceless!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.