Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets keys, unlocks doors* Welcome to Friday Fiesta! :D
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 3 2013, 11:50pm

Post #51 of 83 (132 views)
Shortcut
This would be nice weather for hiking! [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy the weekend! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 3 2013, 11:52pm

Post #52 of 83 (133 views)
Shortcut
Beren and Luthien as Romeo and Juliet? [In reply to] Can't Post

You've got a cool teacher! Cool

Magpie
Immortal

May 4 2013, 12:15am

Post #53 of 83 (136 views)
Shortcut
Before we had a tornado in town a few years back... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there was a great heron rookery on the Mississippi just north of downtown. That got destroyed in the tornado.
http://www.birdchick.com/...estroyed-by-tornado/

I used to see herons flying by the front of my house all the time and I'd see them as I sat at my computer and looked out the window. But I don't anymore. I wonder if that 'flight path' had something to do with the rookery.

I still see them because not only do I drive by - on almost a daily basis - two lakes and a creek... but the lakes have these holding pond built next to them that traps the rain run off from the streets and lawns and filters it before it hits the watershed. So it's not at all uncommon for me to see egrets and great herons either in the water or in the air. I just don't see them all the time from my front window anymore.

The first time I saw GBHs was when the Mister and I were kayaking on the Kalamazoo River near Kalamazoo. The birds were perched in the trees above the river and as we approached them, they'd lift off and fly off ahead of us. Then, a hundred yards up or so, we'd meet that one and another one or two and they'd do the same thing. As time went on, more and more of them would lift off the tree tops as if we were herding them. Our practice was to drift on the current and do as little paddling as possible so we were almost silent as we moved on the river.

We had no idea what they were but I thought they looked like pterodactyls so that's what we called them till we learned their name. That was all circa 1977. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Brethil
Half-elven

May 4 2013, 12:28am

Post #54 of 83 (131 views)
Shortcut
What a sad event. Breaks my heart. [In reply to] Can't Post

Injured birds are so hard to help, too. When I worked as a vet tech people would bring them in and often just the fear of being handled I think did them in. I hope the GBHs developed more nesting sites, further down the river. I see your population is not in danger, thank goodness, but I am sure you are right and that they changed their habits after that. Pity you don't see them anymore from home. A few weeks ago we had a GBH, a Cooper's Hawk (our resident female) and a Redtailed Hawk all in the sky at once over the back yard. Stunning! Of course all the small birds were spooked for an hour or so by the dual hawk appearance.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Magpie
Immortal

May 4 2013, 12:36am

Post #55 of 83 (134 views)
Shortcut
I have a hard time identifying raptors [In reply to] Can't Post

...except for bald eagles, of course. And we have a lot of them here. Not only do we have the lakes, creek, and two rivers (Mississippi and Minnesota) but we have grain elevators which means lots of pigeons which means lots of food for raptors. :-) (not to mention the urban, backyard chickens that are all the rage now)

I see lots of raptors on the light poles as I drive to work but never can tell one from the other. When I was trying to identify a large bird I see flying over Lake Nokomis and Minnehaha Creek a lot (not an eagle), I ran across mentions of red-tailed hawks. I read they were large but the first time I saw one light near me on a light pole I totally got the 'red-tailed' part. So now I can usually identify them when they're roosting, at least.

But the rest... are beyond me. I know we have peregrine falcons, they've built nesting areas for them in various locations. And I've heard people talk about Cooper's hawks and sharp shinned hawks in nearby neighborhoods, but I don't know that I could identify them.

Here's the current patient census for the University of Minnesota Raptor Center:
http://www.raptor.cvm.umn.edu/...alServices/home.html

That's gives one an idea of what raptors can be found here.

I often think I'd like to take a class in raptor identification.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 4 2013, 12:59am

Post #56 of 83 (129 views)
Shortcut
It is NOT easy to ID them at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Except for the obvious ones. We see bald eagles at Bear Mountain on the Hudson every year, and the Redtailed are quite common here, and as you said once you see that tail its a giveaway - but Cooper's and Sharpies! OMG! I sat for two months with the book and the binocs watching the ones we have, because the species are identically colored and marked, and you have to judge on relative leg thickness and neck proportion...because size isn't a great rule as the big female Sharpies are the same size as the smaller male Coops. Finally figured out we had two Coops (male and female) and a female Sharpie. I get a good look pretty often because their pluck sites are right outside my kitchen and living room windows. But it is a challenge, I think I might actually take a class on it one of these days.

Coopers are relatively rare on LI so we are thrilled to have a pair living here. I have read that Accipters often suffer sternal and frontal wing injuries because they hunt so rapidly in tree cover they smack themselves up. I see your Raptor Center has quite a few Owls Smile my favorite birds. We have a Great Horned upstate on Lake Champlain who eats his squirrels next to the second-floor deck. (Not for the squeamish.)

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4 2013, 3:00am

Post #57 of 83 (122 views)
Shortcut
Great blue herons! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are astounding birds! I've been seeing more of them in the Long Island Sound area in recent years.

But I've yet to see a pelican around here! Your area provides such a good feeding area for them.

silneldor
Half-elven

May 4 2013, 3:02am

Post #58 of 83 (129 views)
Shortcut
Some pictures of this 'n that [In reply to] Can't Post

This shot is the re-directed drainage pipe to my back yard from the street. It is now too small there but will work fine for me.

Dave and i worked it so when he used the backhoe i would work the juncture of two pipes with a breaking bar to get them fitted together properly (after loading them one at a time in his bucket and driving over to the ditch). After my run and late lunch i worked until dark getting old cement pieces around the pipe and dirt which i washed in thoroughly with a hose to get dirt to cradle the pipe underneath to support it properly.

Tomorrow i will add more dirt and old cement pieces washing it all again to settle it in. Finally i will get to grade it all nicely with my iron rake finding a pleasing contour. Then i'll plant seed. It is hard work but it is satisfying to me, to work the earth. I am pleasingly 'exhaustiated' but it feels good if you can relate to that:).

This next shot is of two shady characters which are armed for hugging and considered dangerously friendly. In other words they are my better 2/3ths. A break in the action at a track meet.

Did you ever see an upside down wild dogwood tree?

Have a fine weekend guys. I think of you all more than you know. I guess it is my form of prayer, if you will.Smile

Thanks for looking in. It is now bedtime for BonzoTongue

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4 2013, 3:07am

Post #59 of 83 (122 views)
Shortcut
Ditch-digging duties, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

So is the town going to pay you for hauling away their debris? Wink

I bet the owner of the Dairy Queen likes to hire the track and field kids, he knows they won't eat up all the profits! Laugh I think a lot of small operations like that have some form of unpaid training time, they must have a certain percentage of kids who start but just don't work out. Tell Mick I'd like a small coffee Blizzard with Heath bar chips mixed in - virtual, of course!

Yeah, I kept looking out the window today, wondering why on earth I had to be indoors at work...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4 2013, 3:11am

Post #60 of 83 (118 views)
Shortcut
Good grief, that thing's long! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the young Sil is getting awful tall! What are you feeding that kid?

And what in the world did you do to that poor tree! Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4 2013, 3:13am

Post #61 of 83 (125 views)
Shortcut
Summer, definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

And good to see everyone drying out over there - you've gotten quite the deluge at times!

silneldor
Half-elven

May 4 2013, 3:20am

Post #62 of 83 (133 views)
Shortcut
That is a nice array of wildlife:) [In reply to] Can't Post

It is not good to watch water to boil, sort of speak. Spring will get there when it does and it will be a surprize anyway lol.

Computer glitches are bain in the bass *crosses eyes* . I hope you do not miss out on your threatre happening Magpie.

Here is a shot for you that one would enjoy laying down on the ground feeling the warmth and brilliance of the sun on a cloudless day. Soon it will be that time for you tooSmile.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4 2013, 3:20am

Post #63 of 83 (125 views)
Shortcut
What a year it's been, this week! [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't the temperature drop set a few records in several places?

The mind is a fascinating thing. These make one realize how subjective our perception is!

silneldor
Half-elven

May 4 2013, 3:31am

Post #64 of 83 (128 views)
Shortcut
[[HUG]] [In reply to] Can't Post

*Runs out*

— J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

May 4 2013, 3:36am

Post #65 of 83 (123 views)
Shortcut
One merry meeting in the making:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Have a ball grammaSmile

— J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

May 4 2013, 3:39am

Post #66 of 83 (120 views)
Shortcut
Hog tie them youngsters! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aren't they fun?
What's up this weekend?

— J.R.R. Tolkien

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4 2013, 3:46am

Post #67 of 83 (128 views)
Shortcut
I'll trade you some heat for some precipitation! [In reply to] Can't Post

We nearly hit 90 degrees today, and have had a very dry spring. The weathermen are going to be talking about drought for the rest of the year. *sigh*

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

May 4 2013, 3:51am

Post #68 of 83 (126 views)
Shortcut
It's going apace. =) [In reply to] Can't Post

I have two piles of broken-down boxes that are taller than I am, so we're really quite along the way to unpacking. I have probably about 2 dozen boxes left of inside things, and several stacks of pictures that need hanging-- the hanging of artwork is slow, as are the decoration boxes.

The biggest slow down I've had is that the prior owners were not clean people, so I've had to clean every shelf and drawer before I put stuff away. I found a drawer in the kitchen that had dog food in it-- not a bag of dog food, just loose dog food about 2 inches thick in the bottom of the drawer. Crazy Still, I'm definitely to the remains of the inside items. Some decorations, some old VHS tapes, mason jars for canning produce, the 4 'miscellaneous' boxes, my old stuffed animals, things like that.

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

May 4 2013, 3:55am

Post #69 of 83 (123 views)
Shortcut
Therein lies a story... [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't take us long to find the house-- the housing market in Salt Lake City has gone absolutely bonkers. We'd been looking for about 2 weeks when we found this one, and it had only been on the market for 3 days, and already had offers on it. So we put in a high offer, and managed to outbid the others. Then there were inspection and appraisal issues (a story unto itself) that made for a very stressful March, but we sorted it all out in the end. Spent 2 weeks doing some repairs and painting and cleaning, and then moved mid-April. So about 2 months from when we started looking until we moved. It's sort of a whirlwind approach it feels like, but houses are selling within hours of them going up for sale right now in a lot of cases in Salt Lake, so we had to jump on it when we found one we liked.

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

May 4 2013, 4:01am

Post #70 of 83 (123 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

First house that we own, yes. We'd been renting my father's house from him for the past several years. It's a .28 acre lot, so plenty big for us. Mostly there're just shade trees here so far. A really large juniper, and 3 others that I haven't been able to identify, plus one small one that I think is a weeping cherry, but I'm not certain. There are grapes and raspberries, and then just lots of garden beds that haven't been tended to and need a lot of weeding, tilling, fertilizing, etc. to get ready. But it'll be nice when it's all done. It's just a lot of work until then. I have a ridiculously long list of thing I want to plant, and they won't all get done this year. Sadly I'm not wealthy, and we spent a lot getting the house ready to move into. So vegetable and herb garden and strawberries this year; the fruit trees, and flowering/decorative plants will have to wait. Fortunately, there are some really good farmer's markets around here where I can get fruit for cheap this summer. =)

Inferno.

======================
======================

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

May 4 2013, 4:10am

Post #71 of 83 (153 views)
Shortcut
Your illusion reminds me of this [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORoTCBrCKIQ

Those sorts of things are great fun.

I know what you mean about the bizarre weather. It snowed here Wednesday.

Inferno.

======================
======================

DanielLB
Immortal

May 4 2013, 6:28am

Post #72 of 83 (120 views)
Shortcut
But penguins don't run! [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll find it a lot easier swimming. [;) And I have to admit, apart from getting up to go to bed, I'm still in the same position I was yesterday. Here's one lazy penguin you won't catch running!

Sounds like a lot of work silneldor! I hope the weather holds up for you - there's nothing worse than working outside in the pouring rain (or snow, in some cases!) When I worked in a garden centre, I had to power wash the entire outside planting area, in the rain. All they provided me was a coat - I was absolutely drenched afterwards.

Congratulations on your son's new job. I agree though, it doesn't seem right if he isn't being paid for training directly relevant to the job. Since it's necessary for the job, I would've thought he would get paid something? That's how it tends to work in the UK anyway.

Me being nosey with your pictures in your other post - do you live next to a wood? I bet it's very pretty in the summer. Smile

Don't work too hard, and enjoy your weekend.

Patty
Immortal

May 4 2013, 10:26am

Post #73 of 83 (115 views)
Shortcut
A great weekend to all! [In reply to] Can't Post

We are running our mini marathon in Indy today, and if it doesn't rain we'll have nie and cool weather for it.

I have indoor plans, though...watching Iron Man 2 in preparation for the new movie.

Take care!

Permanent address: Into the West

Magpie
Immortal

May 4 2013, 3:03pm

Post #74 of 83 (113 views)
Shortcut
Pelicans are not common in the Twin Cities urban area [In reply to] Can't Post

but since there is a lake up near Fargo called Pelican Lake, I'm guessing they are common in other areas of Minnesota. We once went for a drive west of the cities and I saw a lot of large white birds in a lake. I wondered if they were snow geese or something but I'm thinking, now, that they were pelicans.

I will say, I have seen pelicans on the ocean in the past. Just never in areas where I've lived. :-)

Magpie
Immortal

May 4 2013, 3:11pm

Post #75 of 83 (115 views)
Shortcut
Daffodils [In reply to] Can't Post

There are areas of the parks in Minneapolis where they have been planted to sprout up in the grass.

Here's a fun spring picture There's just so much to love about this one. The Mickey Mouse shirt, the cowboy boots, the old car (it wasn't old then, surely), and the woman with the hat in the middle of it all. That's my cousin and sister in that photo.

I'll half aim for the Gibli movie tomorrow and Life of Pi (also at the $2 theater) on Monday. There's always DVDs but I enjoy the theater experience.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.