Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Favorite "small" character moments?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kaede
Rivendell

May 4 2013, 1:22am

Post #1 of 35 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Favorite "small" character moments? Can't Post

Now that more of us have the DVD, what are your favorite "small" or in-the-background character moments? One of my faves is Nori growling ferociously at the elves/horses as they circle the dwarves in Rivendell. Totally missed that at the theater!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

May 4 2013, 1:27am

Post #2 of 35 (687 views)
Shortcut
Most of the moments revolved around small characters... [In reply to] Can't Post

with 13 dwarves and a hobbit as the center of the film! Tongue

I liked Gandy's laughing at Thorin's "more like a grocer" line, then looking chagrined as soon as Thorin left the room. Also, Bombur eating after all the others have stopped (such as during Thorin's "we take this change to reclaim Erebor" speech); and Kili ogling the female Elvish flutists at Rivendell...seriously, it's there.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Kaede
Rivendell

May 4 2013, 1:57am

Post #3 of 35 (642 views)
Shortcut
Seriously...where? [In reply to] Can't Post

Describe the flute player moment a bit more...don't see it even at frame by frame. (Not looking at right scene?) And I just handed you that small joke, didn't I? Laugh

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

May 4 2013, 3:12am

Post #4 of 35 (610 views)
Shortcut
Sry, should have specified the Kili thing was another joke!... [In reply to] Can't Post

due to all the rumors concerning his supposedly having a fixation with Tauriel.

Probably should have included a: Tongue. So...:Tongue Wink

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on May 4 2013, 3:14am)

Kaede
Rivendell

May 4 2013, 3:24am

Post #5 of 35 (588 views)
Shortcut
Eyeroll [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Dwalin snubbing the long term deposit. Sly

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

May 4 2013, 10:57am

Post #6 of 35 (488 views)
Shortcut
Bombur bringing food to Bifur in Bag End [In reply to] Can't Post

Wile Thorin and Balin are talking each other

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 4 2013, 1:07pm

Post #7 of 35 (487 views)
Shortcut
Lots of small character moments [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
One of my faves is Nori growling ferociously at the elves/horses as they circle the dwarves in Rivendell. Totally missed that at the theater!

I missed that too! Guess I will have to watch my DVD again! Poor me. Wink

Some of my favorite small character moments:
  • The way Frodo rolls his eyes after "Be a good lad and put that on the gate"...but does it willingly anyway.
  • Fili's swagger as he walks into Bag End. Evil
  • All the twittering Bilbo does as the dwarves are preparing the feast from his larder: "The chair is not for sitting...That is a book, not a coaster...Put that map back!"
  • Kili's face pretty much anytime he is laughing at Bag End--he is totally enjoying himself and cracking up.
  • When Bifur turns and catches the knife thrown at him at the last second during "Blunt the Knives."
  • How Bombur keeps on eating during the entire dwarf meeting at Bilbo's dining room table!
  • Bilbo's body language as he marches back to his bedroom after refusing to join the company--very upright, arms straight to his side, with his nose in the air.
  • Ori busily writing in the background during the scene above.
  • Thorin holding his hand over his heart during the Misty Mountains song.
  • Balin's little wink to Bilbo when he decides to join the company.
  • Radagast holding Sebastian's paw with two fingers as he tries to heal him.Evil
  • Thorin chewing on the ropes of his sack at Trollshaws (missed that the first four movie viewings).
  • When Nori (so we think, right, Brethil? Cool) yells a warning to Thorin as the Goblin King attacks him. (Go, Orcrist!)
  • Bofur's little sigh of relief when Bilbo shows up after Goblin Town.
  • Dori calling Gandalf "Mister Gandalf" even as he's hanging on for dear life over a cliff.

And these are just the ones off the top of my head! I'll stop for now...Blush

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on May 4 2013, 1:11pm)

Nunilo
Bree

May 4 2013, 1:23pm

Post #8 of 35 (452 views)
Shortcut
Put that back! [In reply to] Can't Post

All the twittering Bilbo does as the dwarves are preparing the feast from his larder: "The chair is not for sitting...That is a book, not a coaster...Put that map back!"

I love how at the beginning he's simply shouting, "Put that back! PUT THAT BACK!", attempting to sound stern but quickly realising it's probably a hopeless cause. Doesn't stop him trying though!

(This post was edited by Nunilo on May 4 2013, 1:30pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 4 2013, 1:36pm

Post #9 of 35 (444 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo Lookin' up the Chimeny for the Dwarves? [In reply to] Can't Post

What?
... did he think they were Hiding in There?

Arannir
Valinor

May 4 2013, 1:41pm

Post #10 of 35 (421 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he checked... [In reply to] Can't Post

...whether they also cleaned that one up? He seems to be pleased at first they did not leave a mess (as he probably expected).

___

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Arannir
Valinor

May 4 2013, 2:16pm

Post #11 of 35 (464 views)
Shortcut
Bofur being the one... [In reply to] Can't Post

... who cannot take his eyes of the stone giants.

___

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 4 2013, 2:31pm

Post #12 of 35 (429 views)
Shortcut
I love how [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo gets increasingly less polite, but never quite rude.... Even when he bebothers and confusticates the dwarves, he says it to himself and not to them. And notice how he is biting his tongue here after having been insulted. Such a gentleman hobbit. Smile

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Kaede
Rivendell

May 4 2013, 2:42pm

Post #13 of 35 (443 views)
Shortcut
And the consequence... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that moment earned him the first watch in the cave--and then there's that look he gives Thorin...like he's thinking a snarky reply but has the sense to keep his mouth shut.

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 4 2013, 2:51pm

Post #14 of 35 (439 views)
Shortcut
And Fili is watching their interaction in the background [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to think Fili is always taking mental notes on how to be a king as he observes Thorin's example. Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 4 2013, 9:27pm

Post #15 of 35 (344 views)
Shortcut
The tiny whine Bilbo lets escape [In reply to] Can't Post

when he opens his door and sees *two* dwarves (Fili and Kili) on his doorstep. :)

Also, the eager-child look Gollum has when he's waiting for Bilbo to ask his first question: He's kneeling, has both hands on the rock in front of him and props his chin on his hands - his expression here is very much like a happy puppy who is waiting for a treat.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

May 4 2013, 9:38pm

Post #16 of 35 (352 views)
Shortcut
This discussion did trigger me to re-watch the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing really to add to the favorite moments list - but I did note that Gollum's eyes did glow in the dark when he was "in shadow" (if one can be "in shadow" in the dark - something we just have to accept). Noted it on three occasions; oddly - the warg's eyes do the same.

Find myself wishing for the EE editions - but a half year for that still.

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

May 4 2013, 10:17pm

Post #17 of 35 (307 views)
Shortcut
I did catch Gollum's eager look - I agree, it was "preciousssss"; very much the child in him// [In reply to] Can't Post

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 4 2013, 11:40pm

Post #18 of 35 (337 views)
Shortcut
Lots! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are a few of my favorites:

Nori looks like he's sniffing the laundry in the "Rivendell Campfire" scene, and he says "It's not like you didn't do it too." I'd love to know what someone's just given him a hard time about doing, and the sniffing the laundry makes me giggle.

I love Bofur and Bombur pulling up Bifur's trousers after the trolls are turned to stone. They're good at looking out for their cousin!

As the Dwarves are setting the table for their feast in Bag End, Bofur nibbling experimentally on a scone or something similar and then putting it back on the platter cracks me up.

Kili climbing the door frame during "Blunt the Knives" also cracks me up.

I love the very expressive angry flick of his axe that Thorin gives during the Warg/Orc chase before Rivendell, in response to Gandalf not answering when Thorin asks Gandalf where he's leading them. Thorin's mad and frustrated but there's nothing he can do about it!

My very favourite little moment, though, has to be Thorin's lovely smile at Kili, just after he enters Bag End. He loves his nephew. Smile

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 4 2013, 11:44pm

Post #19 of 35 (324 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

When Gandalf says he is not dressed for dinner and Elrond replies "You never are." Love that.

Also, have you noticed even in LOTR that most people have these amazing dirty hands and finger nails? But Saruman's and Elrond's are spotless?

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

May 5 2013, 1:00am

Post #20 of 35 (297 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad someone else spotted this, I think it was a great moment for Thorin!

In Reply To
Thorin holding his hand over his heart during the Misty Mountains song

In Reply To

Brethil
Half-elven

May 5 2013, 1:48am

Post #21 of 35 (296 views)
Shortcut
Nice Elrond moment [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When Gandalf says he is not dressed for dinner and Elrond replies "You never are." Love that.

I love that moment too Idril. The Summer Elrond.

I also like when Bombur tosses a blade, then snatches that ladle right out of the air and turns so quickly and ready to fight, after they arm-up before the Goblin King.

And Bilbo leaning out the door at Bag End as Balin and Dwalin are greeting each other, clearly wondering how many more of these Dwarves are out there?

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Kaede
Rivendell

May 5 2013, 2:30am

Post #22 of 35 (286 views)
Shortcut
And then... [In reply to] Can't Post

After that smile, did you catch that Thorin passes his cloak to KIli, who is very serious as he takes it and then stands aside? I've been wondering if that's a clue that a younger Kili did some duty as page to the king...

Kaede
Rivendell

May 5 2013, 2:32am

Post #23 of 35 (270 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Also can't wait for EE...and commentary tracks!

marillaraina
Rohan

May 5 2013, 3:08am

Post #24 of 35 (276 views)
Shortcut
Amazing all the info to be gleaned from such a small scene [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
After that smile, did you catch that Thorin passes his cloak to KIli, who is very serious as he takes it and then stands aside? I've been wondering if that's a clue that a younger Kili did some duty as page to the king...

That's a neat idea, and it makes a lot of sense for a nephew of the king to have trained as his page at some point.

Another little bit, as he's standing back there, he also looks so...almost adoringly at Thorin, and he's seems very calm and peaceful. It's kind of a different side compared to how enthusiastic and bubbly he normally is, but not in a bad way. It's like this whole other silent scene going on between the lines of the main scene among the two of them.

cats16
Tol Eressea

May 5 2013, 3:50am

Post #25 of 35 (263 views)
Shortcut
Adding to everyone else's... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say when Bilbo tells the trolls that the dwarves are infected. Bombur, hanging over Bert's (?) mouth, has a hilarious look on his face once Bilbo says this line. His mouth is wide open, and he lets out a gasp in shock! Every time I see this part I almost hit pause in order to compose myself. Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.