Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Sssooo, why is Kili the hot one?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MaeBeth
Bree

May 3 2013, 7:20pm

Post #1 of 50 (2011 views)
Shortcut
Sssooo, why is Kili the hot one? Can't Post

I'm sorry, Aidan Turner is adorable. But I gotta know, what's so wrong with Fili? Or even Bofur? (I know, I'm weird)
Bilbo's not exactly hidious either.

It's just something I was wondering about. I'd like to know everyones' opinions, & such.
Oh, I've never posted on a forum before, & this is silly, but am I doing it right? Thanks guys! Angelic
Sincerely,

MaeBeth Blush

dormouse
Half-elven

May 3 2013, 7:30pm

Post #2 of 50 (931 views)
Shortcut
You're doing it just fine, and welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Afraid I can't tell you the answer, though (unless he's got too near the dragon Wink)

Otherwise, I suppose, it's just a matter of taste.

Kaede
Rivendell

May 3 2013, 7:44pm

Post #3 of 50 (933 views)
Shortcut
Fewer prosthetics? [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, all the heirs of Durin seem to get the hot dwarf PR... Bofur may be older than the "hot" demographic, but I agree with your point. I actually think it was just an unexpected look that was a pleasant surprise in the beginning, and frankly I feel it's overused now, IMHO. Turner's got fewer prosthetics, so maybe he gets more attention for being more "human" looking, less of a fat suit, etc. He's also got a very expressive face, perhaps moreso than most actors. He gets a lot of range out of his eyebrows, for example. I think he's also a master at letting the moment show in his expression and we just respond to that. Poor Bombur, on the other hand, has to act through several layers of face and body prosthetics. (Though I loved his expression during Bilbo's "I know you doubt me" speech). Love the goofy Fili faces too--especially in the plate throwing scenes. And there might have been more of him if they hadn't changed actors partway through. But others likely have different observations. And Welcome to TORn!

(This post was edited by Kaede on May 3 2013, 7:53pm)

MaeBeth
Bree

May 3 2013, 8:21pm

Post #4 of 50 (841 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

HeartI was a little nervous, but I think I'm getting the hang of it!

MaeBeth Blush

Darkstone
Immortal

May 3 2013, 8:47pm

Post #5 of 50 (823 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Stay a while!

As for hot guys, I'm pretty clueless about that particular subject...

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.

Nira
Lorien

May 3 2013, 9:10pm

Post #6 of 50 (896 views)
Shortcut
***SPOILER*** [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's because his death will be more emotional for the audience if they are drawn to him and like him more. Nicer looking characters are typically more liked. This is also why I think he gets more screen time.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

May 3 2013, 9:39pm

Post #7 of 50 (821 views)
Shortcut
Kili screentime [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Kili's screen time LOOKS to be more, partially due to the change of actors playing Fili. But Dean's dimples hopefully will get more air during DOS!

Yes, and I think PJ is gonna make all us fangirls cry buckets!

Macfeast
Rohan

May 3 2013, 9:55pm

Post #8 of 50 (797 views)
Shortcut
I would be... [In reply to] Can't Post

...very disappointed in PJ and team, were "hot design = more likeable" the reasoning behind giving Kli a hot design.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on May 3 2013, 10:02pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 3 2013, 10:11pm

Post #9 of 50 (851 views)
Shortcut
As far as I'm concerned, there's only one hot Dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

and that's Thorin.

Kili does nothing for me.

And welcome to the forum.

Kili
The Shire

May 3 2013, 10:55pm

Post #10 of 50 (723 views)
Shortcut
Probably a combination of everything. [In reply to] Can't Post

And he has a bow. Smile The best looking Dwarves/Elves/Men are always good archers.

***SPOILERS***

And then he's going to die. He has to look good to make us fangirls fall in love with him so we'll be sobbing in the theaters...

(This post was edited by Kili on May 3 2013, 10:55pm)

Kaede
Rivendell

May 3 2013, 11:01pm

Post #11 of 50 (753 views)
Shortcut
Aidan: It's just my face! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a fun interview with Aidan from his BBC Being Human days here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAivQUgPXz0 (PJ apparently cast based on being a fan of BH.)

Watch his eyebrows. Wink And love the "it's just my face!" line. Maybe it explains some of the hot thing?

(This post was edited by Kaede on May 3 2013, 11:05pm)

Nira
Lorien

May 3 2013, 11:36pm

Post #12 of 50 (703 views)
Shortcut
uh... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's not my point. If I wasn't clear enough, the second half of Kili's post is what I was trying to say....

***SPOILERS***

And then he's going to die. He has to look good to make us fangirls fall in love with him so we'll be sobbing in the theaters...

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Kimtc
Rohan

May 3 2013, 11:51pm

Post #13 of 50 (707 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it was accepted going into the movie that Kili would be the Paul of this Beatles, but my take is that Thorin was the hands down heartthrob. My only evidence is my own barometer of hotness, and the relative placement of Richard Armitage and Aidan Turner on IMDB in the months right after the opening (RA was at the top, AT not so much). I will feel badly about Kili at the end, but I will bawl like I'm watching "Terms of Endearment" for Thorin.

Macfeast
Rohan

May 3 2013, 11:52pm

Post #14 of 50 (657 views)
Shortcut
If I misunderstood you, then I apologize. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

May 4 2013, 12:18am

Post #15 of 50 (702 views)
Shortcut
I hate to say he does nothing for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I appreciate his part-boyish / part-smoldering looks.

But he does not make my heart race. For that... it's Thorin all the way.

But it's not really so much Thorin as just a big old helping of Richard. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Brethil
Half-elven

May 4 2013, 1:52am

Post #16 of 50 (642 views)
Shortcut
I agree Kimtc. And though it is a matter of individual taste... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think it was accepted going into the movie that Kili would be the Paul of this Beatles, but my take is that Thorin was the hands down heartthrob. My only evidence is my own barometer of hotness, and the relative placement of Richard Armitage and Aidan Turner on IMDB in the months right after the opening (RA was at the top, AT not so much). I will feel badly about Kili at the end, but I will bawl like I'm watching "Terms of Endearment" for Thorin.

There is only one heartthrob in the mix for me, and I will be right with you at the end.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 4 2013, 1:54am

Post #17 of 50 (659 views)
Shortcut
I will confess that [In reply to] Can't Post

when I first saw the initial publicity photos for the thirteen dwarves, I was like "oh, look how they've given each dwarf his own distinct style so we can tell them ap---- Who is THAT??" Yeah, I had laid eyes on Kili. Wink Please note that this was still during Thorin's Klingon Look period.

Once I saw the movie, I was less interested in Kili because I had seen Thorin. Laugh Kili seems like a sweet (and occasionally ferocious) puppy to me. I have no complaints about Fili (see Dimples, Adorable) or Bofur (see Big Brown Eyes, Adorable) or Balin (see Grandpa, Adorable). Heck, I love 'em all. Not because they're "hot" per se, but because they won me over somehow (see Heart, Willing; Loyalty; Honor).

As for our hobbit, I want to hug him and pet him and squeeze him and name him George (or, possibly, Bilbo).

P.S. No worries. You're doing fine, MaeBeth. Wink Glad you're here!

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

marillaraina
Rohan

May 4 2013, 2:11am

Post #18 of 50 (611 views)
Shortcut
Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm sorry, Aidan Turner is adorable. But I gotta know, what's so wrong with Fili? Or even Bofur? (I know, I'm weird)
Bilbo's not exactly hidious either.

It's just something I was wondering about. I'd like to know everyones' opinions, & such.
Oh, I've never posted on a forum before, & this is silly, but am I doing it right? Thanks guys! Angelic
Sincerely,

First off WELCOME!!!Heart

Secondly, I do think part of the reasoning for it was practical as was discussed in one of the Chronicles for the various differences in prosthetics.

There's nothing wrong with any of the dwarves, they are all so lovable in their own ways and being lovable always helps in attractiveness in any case even for the ones who aren't quite so physically attractive. I just love them so much, as a group, I can't even believe it. :)

Now as for Kili, I don't know, I think he's pretty darn hot. :) And yeah I have a weakness for bows and arrows. BUT...something I was very pleasantly surprised by was his portrayal. Not in terms of quality, Turner's a very good actor, so whatever Kili was portrayed as, it would have been well done, but they really didn't take the obvious route with Kili IMO and as a result I think he was very likable.

I remember beforehand there was a lot of "broody, angsty" stereotyping going but to start with Kili is kind of the opposite....he's friendly, enthusiastic, eager to please, any recklessness seems to stem from inexperience more than egotism, fierce and confident with his weapons but not so much that he didn't sometimes seem to surprise himself when something worked and most important of all, imo, he seems to be genuinely good hearted.

(LOL actually Thorin is the "broody angsty, no one understand my pain!!!!!" one:))

And that despite really very little dialogue and not much screen time, so I think both the writers and the actor managed to do a lot with relatively a little.

marillaraina
Rohan

May 4 2013, 2:20am

Post #19 of 50 (630 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so... [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly considering the massive(and I do mean massive) differences in dialogue and screen time between Thorin and Kili, it's kind of silly to act like it's some sort of either failing on PJ's part, or a victory on Thorin's part that he's got more attention. It's hardly like they uglied Richard up much. :) He even got the good hair.

Let's not pretend they weren't going to do what they could to play up Thorin's attractiveness as well and in fact that was even mentioned in one of the earliest comments, possibly when Richard was cast as Thorin, PJ said something comparing Thorin to Aragorn and may even have mentioned the word heartthrob(can't quite remember). They wanted him to be found attractive. It was always one of their goals.

I get the feeling, that while definitely everyone who likes Thorin likes him honestly(heck I like Thorin, the reason I joined, or rejoined, TOR.n was to defend the casting of Richard in the role as I knew he'd be the perfect Thorin as soon as I heard) there is almost this idea with some that it's somehow almost rebellious to do so, and it isn't. It's exactly what was wanted. It isn't like it's "going against the man" to like Thorin best, he's one of the stars of the film, and his potential heartthrob appeal was a factor from the start.

Thorin has something like 1500 words of dialogue and Kili has about 100 if I recall correctly. (less than Dwalin and Bofur, never mind two of the three stone trolls). Thorin is on screen and one of the main focuses of the scenes he is in much of the time, right up there with Bilbo and Gandalf. The majority of Kili's scenes are in the background and he has very few mostly brief moments of individual focus and they are somewhat comic as often as not.

All in all. I'd say Kili's done pretty well for himself given all that. He's the third most featured Hobbit character by a good margin on the two biggest fanfic sites(FF.net and AO3), after Thorin and Bilbo.

Richard's also been doing tons of publicity for months, that keeps his name and his face out there, whereas I think Turner's basically gone underground. LOL I think he's been seen about twice since the initial Hobbit premiere blitz., and that isn't even an exaggeration.

He hasn't done a convention(something many of the other dwarves have doing--though he is supposed to do one in NZ at the beginning of June), he hasn't done an interview(again something many of the other dwarves have done). He's been laying very, very low.

(This post was edited by marillaraina on May 4 2013, 2:27am)

Kaede
Rivendell

May 4 2013, 2:27am

Post #20 of 50 (608 views)
Shortcut
He's on another film shoot [In reply to] Can't Post

Turner has been filming City of Bones...which just wrapped, I think. They were in Toronto until last month.

marillaraina
Rohan

May 4 2013, 3:01am

Post #21 of 50 (574 views)
Shortcut
The Mortal Instruments [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Turner has been filming City of Bones...which just wrapped, I think. They were in Toronto until last month.

City of Bones finished filming in November I think. They did two days of pick ups in Toronto at end of March/beginning of April, which Aidan was not needed for. I read it online.

His role in the film, while important, is not that large. I believe he's in it a bit at the beginning, probably shows up in the middle briefly and then has a good showing towards the end and should be involved a good deal, including a big fight scene, where apparently all that Hobbit training came in handy because the writer said he was really really good. :)

I do know there is supposed to be a flashback scene where he meets the main character as a child that is supposed to be really really good. I suffered through reading the books recently(good ideas, just not necessarily that well executed) and think I know what scene it is and sounds touching. AT seems to be really good with kids, he was so good with the ghost baby in that episode of Being Human, as well as the young boy he befriended in the other episode and Hattie's two sons(one of whom plays Bard's son in The Hobbit) in the movie Hattie so I have high hopes for the scene, if not for the movie itself. LOL

elaen32
Gondor

May 4 2013, 6:41am

Post #22 of 50 (508 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those that die in BoFA had to be given highest profiles, so audiences are invested in them more. Apart from attracting a wider demographic ( ie fan girls Blush), the deaths of these 3 are more poignant to a general audience if they look more human ( and hot). Also, portraying them, Thorin included, as younger adds to the pathos. I think the only reason that Fili is featured less, relates to the change in actors. I imagine they already had some promotional Kili material from earlier in the process. Yeah, and like kimtc, Magpie and RD, I'm a Thorin fan.

Ps your posts are fine and I'm impressed you started by opening a thread. Took me a while to be brave enough to do so!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 4 2013, 10:11am

Post #23 of 50 (551 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yay! A Hot Dwarves thread. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

You're in good company here, MaeBeth. Don't let Darkstone and some of the others guys put you off. They're just jealous that all they're likely to get is Galadriel and Tauriel. Wink

And welcome to TORn!

So, hot Dwarves. I'd suggest it's actually Thorin who gets most of the Dwarf-love 'round here. Eru knows some of us are fairly shameless about it! Maybe Thorin getting most of the love is more an issue of demographics of posters here? Not sure. But really, how could you resist that majestic bearing, that arrogant vulnerability, those eyes, that exquisite voice, and most of all, that hair? I think quite a few of us were floored at his first word: "Gandalf!"

I'll admit rather readily that Kili's a fairly close second, though. He reminds me of what Thorin could have been like in his youth, in happier times. I love his young exuberance, his friendliness, and his sense of humor.

And if Thorin and Kili weren't around, I'd settle for Fili instead. He's just not quite as fun and cuddly as Kili and certainly not as majestic as Thorin.

I wouldn't mind taking Bofur home with me, either. I love his smile-crinkles at the corners of his eyes; such a great sense of humor. He seems like the kind of Dwarf you could be best friends with. Plus, if you *were* best friends with him, I bet he'd let you borrow that hat.

And really, one could consider Dwalin too. Some women find bald sexy, and bald with tattoos is even more interesting! You really couldn't get much more alpha and bada** than Dwalin (at least, if Thorin's not around), and that's pretty attractive to some.

Balin's hot in his own wise-and-trusted-confidante sort of way; for his personality if not his rather elderly looks!

Ori's hot in a bookish-with-potential sort of way. Some women really fall for the scholars. Sure, he may need to grow up a bit, but good things take time.

And there's always some who insist on finding the bad boys attractive: thus, Nori. His starfish 'do might take some getting used to, but he's got "bad boy" written all over him!

After that, there's only four Dwarves left over, and you might just find someone who finds them hot, too!

So, I'd suggest that it's certainly not just Kili who's hot. There's a lot of Dwarf-love to spread around. Cool

Angharad73
Rohan

May 4 2013, 11:12am

Post #24 of 50 (528 views)
Shortcut
Eye of the beholder, and all that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

It's a movie, so there had to be something nice to look at. And there certainly are Dwarves that appeal to different tastes. He got labeled as the 'hot' one, but it all depends on who you ask - some groups are just more visible and vocal than others (just look at tumblr etc.).

I can see why Kili would be very attractive to a certain demographic. And I do think he is cute - cute, not hot. To me, he's like a puppy, in that eager, somewhat clumsy, has-a-lot-t--learn, spreading-dirt-everywhere kind of sense. So, not all that 'hot' to me... But beauty does lie in the eye of the beholder.

Thorin now, that's a different story entirely... (as I believe is somewhat noticeable in my posts...Blush). The hair, the voice, the eyes, the hair, the way he runs... Yeah.
Dwalin comes second, I'd say, on my 'hotness scale'. I guess it's the tattoos, and the voice/accent...
And third would be a tie between Bofur and Fili, actually. Bofur because he's just so huggable. And Fili, well, there's the dimples, what can I say...

DanielLB
Immortal

May 4 2013, 1:23pm

Post #25 of 50 (475 views)
Shortcut
You're right Roheryn [In reply to] Can't Post

There's many attractive females, including these rather fetching Dwarf ladies.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.