Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
so what valar do you work for?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

squire
Valinor

May 1 2013, 6:26pm

Post #26 of 39 (109 views)
Shortcut
I think Vairë is your gal [In reply to] Can't Post

"Vairë the Weaver is his [Mandos'] spouse, who weaves all things that have ever been in Time into her storied webs, and the halls of Mandos that ever widen as the ages pass are clothed with them." (Sil, 'Valaquenta')

Although her medium is woven fabric rather than parchment and ink, it seems clear that she is the keeper of the history of the world and all the knowledge that that implies. Her specialty is related to, but in contrast to Aulë's, who tends to all skills and crafts. One way to state the division between the two might be that Vairë is liberal arts; Aulë is vocational, so to speak. But it is, of course, arguable that Vairë specializes in the humanities and social sciences, while Aulë covers the natural sciences. It depends how theoretical you think Aulë is. I'd say they split the plastic and figurative arts between them, except music which is cultivated by the Valar as a whole for obvious reasons.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

CuriousG
Valinor

May 1 2013, 6:32pm

Post #27 of 39 (95 views)
Shortcut
That would definitely scare me [In reply to] Can't Post

But he'd be worse than a troll in forums, maddening as ever.

"What happened to the Blue Wizards?"

Mandos: They happened.

"Do Balrogs have wings?"

Mandos: Balrogs are fated to be.

"What movies did you watch this weekend?"

Mandos: [creates empty post, signifying silence]

Brethil
Half-elven

May 1 2013, 6:58pm

Post #28 of 39 (91 views)
Shortcut
**hahahah!** [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, those are perfect...yeah let's keep him off the Boards. ( Of course in movies we may just be like oh, shocker, he watched "Final Destination" AGAIN.....)

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 2 2013, 12:47am

Post #29 of 39 (73 views)
Shortcut
That's it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Irmo Lorien is for me. Smile

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 2 2013, 1:56am

Post #30 of 39 (67 views)
Shortcut
silneldor! [In reply to] Can't Post

[silneldor] I am in Maciliel's 'camp' [/silneldor]

silneldor! glad to go camping with you!

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

(This post was edited by Maciliel on May 2 2013, 1:57am)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 2 2013, 1:58am

Post #31 of 39 (63 views)
Shortcut
yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
[eowyn3]
I'm a runner and love the active lifestyle, so Tulkas is probably my Valar. Although, I love the outdoors also, so I could work for Yavanna . [/eowyn3]

yay! another for tulkas! glad to have you in the company.

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 2 2013, 2:03am

Post #32 of 39 (62 views)
Shortcut
just thinking of this... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I work in educational publishing, and there's no Vala for education or learning. Which is maybe why they don't seem very smart at times and don't learn from their mistakes. None of them writes books or scrolls. Mandos might come close in the knowing department, but he doesn't share any of it.

As for interests:
Ulmo - love the sea
Orome - not a hunter, but like forests and hiking to see animals
Yavanna - like gardening
Lorien - quite the dreamer
Nienna - there are times I feel sorry for the bugs that go Splat! on the windshield, though I don't weep over them. And it doesn't make me wiser and more patient like it did with Olorin, so an *almost* fit here.

Great thread idea, Mac!

....re your thoughts on why they keep on making (the same) mistakes.... if only they had just looked at vaire's tapestry, maybe things would have been different.

looking into galadriel's mirror, i think i can just make out the scene.... look -- there are the valar, upon taniquetil... conversing about whether to unchain melkor.... they've got quite the debate going... look! there's vaire in the background.... she's frantically waving and pointing to her tapestry, shaking her head.... i don't think the valar see her....

(ah, and thanks for the compliment, curiousg! : ) )

cheers ---

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 2 2013, 2:14am

Post #33 of 39 (62 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
[sherlock] I'm not familiar with the valar and don't have The Sil here at work so I don't have a clue. I work in Finance for the county where I live. There probably isn't one for that. Is there one for boring? Tongue [/sherlock]

.... perhaps i can suggest mandos? arithmancer, who also deals with numbers, seems suitably aligned with him. numbers can be quite stern (mandos is known for his unfrolicksome nature), and they seem to plot the present and future (of which mandos knows).

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 2 2013, 10:10am

Post #34 of 39 (54 views)
Shortcut
Here's a list of the Valar. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wiki information on the Lords and Queens of the Valar (in order of precedence)

Lords of the Valar (in order of precedence)
  • Manwë Súlimo, King of the Valar
  • Melko or Melkor, the Dark Power, and most powerful of the Valar. Later Referred to as Morgoth.
  • Ulmo, King of the Sea
  • Aulë, the Smith and the Lord of Earth and all that's underneath
  • Oromë Aldaron, Lord of Forests, the Great Rider, and Hunter of Valinor
  • Námo (Mandos), Judge of the Dead
  • Irmo (Lórien), Lord and Master of Dreams, Visions, and Desires, and Creator of the Oloré Mallé, or Path of Dreams
  • Tulkas Astaldo, Champion of Valinor, the last of the Valar to come to Arda
Queens of the Valar (Valier, in order of power)
  • Varda Elentári, Queen of the Stars, spouse of Manwë
  • Yavanna Kementári (Palùrien), Giver of Fruits, spouse of Aulë
  • Nienna, Lady of Mercy
  • Estë the Gentle, Lady of Healing and Rest, spouse of Irmo
  • Vairë the Weaver, spouse of Mandos
  • Vána the Ever-young, spouse of Orome
  • Nessa the Dancer, spouse of Tulkas

More detail
List of the Valar
These are the names and attributes of the chief Valar as they were known to the Eldar in Aman. In Middle-earth, they were known by other names of Sindarin origin; Varda, for example, was called Elbereth. Men knew them by many other names, and sometimes worshipped them as gods. With the exception of Oromë, the names listed below are not actual names but rather titles: the true names of the Valar are nowhere recorded. The males are called "Lords of the Valar"; the females "Queens of the Valar," or Valier.
The Aratar (Quenya: Exalted) or High Ones of Arda are the eight greatest of the Valar: Manwë, Varda, Ulmo, Yavanna, Aulë, Mandos, Nienna, and Oromë. Lórien and Mandos are brothers and are referred to collectively as the Fëanturi or "Masters of Spirits". Lords Manwë
He is the King of the Valar, husband of Varda Elentári and King of Arda. He lived atop Mount Taniquetil, the highest mountain of the world, in the halls of Ilmarin. The winds and airs were his servants, and he was lord of air, wind, and clouds in Arda. He was the noblest and greatest in authority, but not in power, of the Ainur and the greatest of the Aratar. Ulmo
Lord of Waters. Unlike the other Valar, he was not married and had no fixed dwelling place. He lived in the deep waters of the ocean, and seldom troubled to come to Valinor unless the need was dire. Ulmo was one of the chief architects of Arda. In power he was second to Manwë. Aulë
Husband of Yavanna, Aulë is given lordship over the matter that composes Arda and is a master of all the crafts that shape it. He created the Dwarves, who call him Mahal, the Maker. During the Music of the Ainur, Aulë's themes concerned the physical things of which Arda is made; when Eru Ilúvatar gave being to the themes of the Ainur, his music became the lands of Middle-earth. Other of his works include Angainor (the chain of Melkor), the Two Lamps and the vessels of the Sun and Moon. Oromë
Brother of Nessa and husband of Vána, also known as Araw in Sindarin, Aldaron ("Lord of the Trees"), Arum, Béma, Arāmē, The Huntsman of the Valar, and The Great Rider. During the Years of the Trees, after most of the Valar had withdrawn completely from Middle-earth and hidden themselves in Aman, Oromë still hunted in the forests of Middle-earth on occasion. Thus, he was responsible for first finding the Elves at Cuiviénen.
Being a powerful huntsman, he was active in the struggles against Morgoth, and was renowned for his anger, being the most terrible of the Valar in his wrath. He has a great horn called Valaróma and a great steed called Nahar. In "The Book of Lost Tales", there is the sentence "There sang Amillo joyously to his playing, Amillo who is named Omar, whose voice is the best of all voices, who knoweth all songs in all speeches; but whiles if he sang not to his brothers harp then would he be trilling in the gardens of Oromë when after a time Nielíqui, little maiden, danced about its woods." It is mentioned in the Appendix on Names that Nielíqui is the daughter of Oromë and Vána. Mandos
Judge of the Dead and the Master of Doom. Originally named Námo, but referred to more commonly as Mandos, after the Halls of his dwelling. Chief advisor to Manwë and keeper of the souls of elves. He is the husband of Vairë the Weaver. Mandos is described as being stern and dispassionate and never forgetting a thing.
He was the Vala who spoke the Prophecy of the North against the Noldor leaving Aman, and who counselled that they should not be allowed to return. But unlike Morgoth, his Dooms are not cruel or vindictive by his own design. They are simply the will of Eru, and he will not speak them unless he is commanded to do so by Manwë. Only once has he been moved to pity, when Lúthien sang of the grief she and her lover Beren had experienced in Beleriand.

Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains. On the House of Fëanor the wrath of the Valar lieth from the West unto the uttermost East, and upon all that will follow them it shall be laid also. Their Oath shall drive them, and yet betray them, and ever snatch away the very treasures that they have sworn to pursue. To evil end shall all things turn that they begin well; and by treason of kin unto kin, and the fear of treason, shall this come to pass. The Dispossessed shall they be for ever. ...
— J. R. R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion (1977)

The pronouncement of this Doom was the cause for the return to Eldamar of (already reluctant to proceed) Finarfin and his followers. There they asked and received the forgiveness of the Valar.
Lórien
Master of Visions and Dreams. Originally named Irmo, but referred to more commonly as Lórien, after his dwelling place. Lórien and Mandos are the Fëanturi, masters of spirits. Lórien, the younger, is the master of visions and dreams. His gardens in the land of the Valar, where he dwells with his spouse Estë, are the fairest place in the world and are filled with many spirits. All those who dwell in Valinor find rest and refreshment at the fountain of Irmo and Estë. Since he is the master of dreams, he and his servants are well-aware of the hopes and dreams of the children of Eru. Tulkas
The Strong, Champion of Valinor, also called Astaldo meaning The Brave One. He was the last of the Valar to descend into Arda, and helped to tip the scales against Melkor after the destruction of the Two Lamps. He is a wrestler and physically the strongest of all the Valar. His fist is his only weapon. He laughs in sport and in war, and even laughed in the face of Melkor. He is the husband of Nessa, and is described as slow to anger, but slow also to forget; as such, he opposed the release of Melkor after his prison sentence. Queens Varda
Queen of the Stars, spouse of Manwë, titled Elentári in Quenya and Elbereth Gilthoniel in Sindarin. She kindled the first stars before the Ainur descended into the world, and later brightened them with the gold and silver dew from the Two Trees. Melkor feared and hated her the most, because she rejected him before Time. The Elvish hymn A Elbereth Gilthoniel appears in three differing forms in The Lord of the Rings.[1] Yavanna
Queen of the Earth and Giver of Fruits, spouse of Aulë, also called Kementári. She created the Two Trees, and is responsible for the Kelvar (animals) and Olvar (plants). It was she who requested the creation of the Ents, as she feared for the safety of the trees once her husband had created the Dwarves. The Two Lamps are created by Aulë at Yavanna's request, and their light germinates the seeds that she had planted. Following the destruction of the Two Lamps by Melkor and the withdrawal of the Valar to Aman, Yavanna sang into being the Two Trees of Valinor. Nienna
Lady of Mercy. She was the tutor of Olórin, and weeps constantly. But she does not weep for herself; and those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope. Her tears are those of healing and pity, not of sadness, and often have potency; for example, she watered the Two Trees with her tears, and later washed the filth of Ungoliant away from them once they were destroyed. She was in favour of releasing Melkor after his sentence, not being able to see his evil nature. She has no spouse. Estë
Referred to as the Gentle and "the healer of hurts and of weariness". Her name means Rest. "Grey is her raiment, and rest her gift." She is the wife of Irmo, and lives with him in his Gardens of Lórien in Valinor. She sleeps at day on the island in the Lake Lorellin. Vairë
Entitled the Weaver. She is espoused to Námo, and lives with him at Mandos. She weaves the story of the World in her tapestries, which are draped all over the halls of Mandos. Vána
Called Queen of Blossoming Flowers and the Ever-young. She is the younger sister of Yavanna and wife of Oromë. "All flowers spring as she passes and open if she glances upon them; and all birds sing at her coming." She dwells in gardens filled with golden flowers and often comes to the forests of Oromë. Tolkien wrote that Vána was "the most perfectly 'beautiful' in form and feature (also 'holy' but not august or sublime), representing the natural unmarred perfection of form in living things".[2] Nessa
Entitled the Dancer. She is the wife of Tulkas and is noted for her agility and speed, able to outrun the deer who follow her in the wild, and for her love of dancing on the ever-green lawns of Valinor. Melkor
The First Dark Lord. His name means "he who arises in might". He was the first of the Ainur to be created by Eru Ilúvatar and the one who created discord in the Music of the Ainur. The spiritual brother of Manwë, he was the most powerful of the Valar, as he possessed all aspects of Eru's thought, whereas the others each possessed only some. He turned to evil, and was taken back to Valinor in the chain Angainor after the Awakening of the Elves in Cuiviénen. He remained on parole in Valinor for three ages, but after the poisoning of the Two Trees and the theft of the Silmarils, he fled from Valinor. He was no longer counted among the Valar, and Fëanor, one of the leaders of the Noldorin Elves, called him "Morgoth Bauglir", The Great Enemy, by which name he was known in Middle-earth ever after. He was cast out of Arda at the end of the War of Wrath.

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 2 2013, 10:12am

Post #35 of 39 (51 views)
Shortcut
I'm TORn between Lorien and Ulmo [In reply to] Can't Post

Lorien for the gardens and Ulmo for the waters. I am, afterall, a pisces ;)

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 2 2013, 11:03am

Post #36 of 39 (58 views)
Shortcut
fair game [In reply to] Can't Post

of course, wherever your interests lie is fair game for valar alignment.

i'd say if you were a gardener, you'd also be aligned with yavanna.

feel free to have multiple valar, gramma. : ) i certainly do.

cheers (and thanks for posting the wiki valar descriptions) --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

sherlock
Gondor

May 2 2013, 2:50pm

Post #37 of 39 (48 views)
Shortcut
I'd be Varda or Nessa [In reply to] Can't Post

because I love the stars and dancing but my job is nothing like that. Maybe that's why I'm counting the days till retirement. Wink

Finwe
Lorien

May 2 2013, 6:55pm

Post #38 of 39 (39 views)
Shortcut
Never thought of this before [In reply to] Can't Post

There isn't a direct correlation of a Vala to my profession, so as an athlete, I'll claim Tulkas. Although at 31 my knees are starting to show the years of wear and tear, so I don't know if he'll hire me.

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when Fëanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

elaen32
Gondor

May 2 2013, 8:36pm

Post #39 of 39 (50 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Jobwise, as a doctor, I guess Este and/or Nienna
Interest wise- I love nature and environmental issues- so Yavanna, travelling and walking ?? Orome, music esp singing- I'm not sure (? Nienna or Este could have a role here too I guess), the sea, which I love and live by, Ulmo

Multiple really- I just like to hang out with the Valar you know!!Wink

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.