Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Sauron and the architecture of Dol Guldur *possible spoilers*

Subaruman
Bree

May 2 2013, 2:18pm

Views: 1335
Shortcut
Sauron and the architecture of Dol Guldur *possible spoilers* Can't Post

So we're all familiar with Sauron eventually using the tower of Barad-dur as a physical embodiment during the timeframe of LOTR (at least in the movie version). Also, in the FotR movie, Saruman states: "He cannot yet take physical form..."

Now, in AUJ, we see the actual architecture of Dol Guldur as "living". One of the Nazgul statues flexes and moves, while the Witch King's spirit actually rises from another broken statue. I might be seeing things, but as I was watching the movie again last night, it looks to me like Sauron's form appears as part of the large structure of Dol Guldur itself. It could be coincidence, but given the amount of time this team puts into small details, I'm inclined to believe it's intentional. In the following screencap, the form I'm talking about occupies roughly the lower right quarter of the entire structure. The face/helmet seems visible to me, with the rest of the body outlined but less evident. Anyway, I could just be seeing things.

http://screencapped.net/...20#top_display_media

"Here is a book very unsuitable for dramatic or semi-dramatic representation. If that is attempted, it needs more space, a lot of space."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

Subject User Time
Sauron and the architecture of Dol Guldur *possible spoilers* Subaruman Send a private message to Subaruman May 2 2013, 2:18pm
    Not sure what to comment on the topic... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir May 2 2013, 2:23pm
    I wondered about this the last time i watched AUJ... sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio May 2 2013, 3:48pm
        It seems like another glimpse into these creatures/spirits inhabiting the structure itself. Subaruman Send a private message to Subaruman May 2 2013, 4:56pm
        Another Nazgul┐ Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) Send a private message to Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) May 2 2013, 9:21pm
    I am not seeing it, but I do see an Ent and Easter Island statues.... Eruonen Send a private message to Eruonen May 2 2013, 8:03pm
        Here you go. Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode May 3 2013, 5:17am
            I don't see Sauron ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB May 3 2013, 9:45am
                BWAhaHA..Ha wha? Keep Breathing? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 3 2013, 11:25am
            Thanks! - that's exactly the area I was talking about.// Subaruman Send a private message to Subaruman May 3 2013, 2:12pm
            Pareidolia effect, if you look at the bottom of the circled area Eruonen Send a private message to Eruonen May 3 2013, 2:19pm
                or maybe Pareimaia effect, in this instance...// Subaruman Send a private message to Subaruman May 3 2013, 3:24pm
                    Drum roll.................. ;) Eruonen Send a private message to Eruonen May 3 2013, 3:31pm
                        The Tallest Tower...Has a Light ON... Within? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 3 2013, 11:41pm
                            The low spot of yellow is in an odd place, no window that I can see. Eruonen Send a private message to Eruonen May 3 2013, 11:50pm
                The question is Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode May 4 2013, 3:36am
                    Exactly Subaruman Send a private message to Subaruman May 4 2013, 4:59pm
    Silly statue deskp Send a private message to deskp May 3 2013, 1:47pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.