Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Sauron and the architecture of Dol Guldur *possible spoilers*

Subaruman
Bree

May 2 2013, 2:18pm

Post #1 of 18 (1350 views)
Shortcut
Sauron and the architecture of Dol Guldur *possible spoilers* Can't Post

So we're all familiar with Sauron eventually using the tower of Barad-dur as a physical embodiment during the timeframe of LOTR (at least in the movie version). Also, in the FotR movie, Saruman states: "He cannot yet take physical form..."

Now, in AUJ, we see the actual architecture of Dol Guldur as "living". One of the Nazgul statues flexes and moves, while the Witch King's spirit actually rises from another broken statue. I might be seeing things, but as I was watching the movie again last night, it looks to me like Sauron's form appears as part of the large structure of Dol Guldur itself. It could be coincidence, but given the amount of time this team puts into small details, I'm inclined to believe it's intentional. In the following screencap, the form I'm talking about occupies roughly the lower right quarter of the entire structure. The face/helmet seems visible to me, with the rest of the body outlined but less evident. Anyway, I could just be seeing things.

http://screencapped.net/...20#top_display_media

"Here is a book very unsuitable for dramatic or semi-dramatic representation. If that is attempted, it needs more space, a lot of space."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

Arannir
Valinor

May 2 2013, 2:23pm

Post #2 of 18 (583 views)
Shortcut
Not sure what to comment on the topic... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but not having seen the BluRay yet, those screencaps look marvellous!

Really like the DG design...

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

May 2 2013, 3:48pm

Post #3 of 18 (527 views)
Shortcut
I wondered about this the last time i watched AUJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why did the statue tighten it's grip on it's sword? And it wasn't even the statue the Nazgul was inhabiting. I've no idea...

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on May 2 2013, 3:56pm)

Subaruman
Bree

May 2 2013, 4:56pm

Post #4 of 18 (476 views)
Shortcut
It seems like another glimpse into these creatures/spirits inhabiting the structure itself. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which will make the actual destruction of Dol Guldur even more crucial.

"Here is a book very unsuitable for dramatic or semi-dramatic representation. If that is attempted, it needs more space, a lot of space."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

May 2 2013, 8:03pm

Post #5 of 18 (413 views)
Shortcut
I am not seeing it, but I do see an Ent and Easter Island statues.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Could you draw an outline?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

May 2 2013, 9:21pm

Post #6 of 18 (379 views)
Shortcut
Another Nazgulæ [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 3 2013, 5:17am

Post #7 of 18 (337 views)
Shortcut
Here you go. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've circled the "helmet" portion of the outline. Imagine the two arches as the eye openings and the hanging bit between as the nose guard.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zāram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nāla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dūm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on May 3 2013, 5:18am)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 3 2013, 9:45am

Post #8 of 18 (278 views)
Shortcut
I don't see Sauron ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I do see Maleficent!

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 3 2013, 11:25am

Post #9 of 18 (245 views)
Shortcut
BWAhaHA..Ha wha? Keep Breathing? [In reply to] Can't Post

Daniel...Really?

(This post was edited by Bombadil on May 3 2013, 11:32am)

deskp
Lorien

May 3 2013, 1:47pm

Post #10 of 18 (224 views)
Shortcut
Silly statue [In reply to] Can't Post

Uh I really didn't like the moving statue in AUJ, I believe its jsut there for effect thats its a scary place, and I would much ratehr have seen the statue wthout the movement. Keep it atleast some what realistic

Subaruman
Bree

May 3 2013, 2:12pm

Post #11 of 18 (199 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! - that's exactly the area I was talking about.// [In reply to] Can't Post

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

May 3 2013, 2:19pm

Post #12 of 18 (229 views)
Shortcut
Pareidolia effect, if you look at the bottom of the circled area [In reply to] Can't Post

you will see a smiling face looking sideways. Anytime you have multiple angles and shades the human brain will try to find a face. It happens all the time with wood grain on the floor, or decorative materials plus natural figures.

Subaruman
Bree

May 3 2013, 3:24pm

Post #13 of 18 (181 views)
Shortcut
or maybe Pareimaia effect, in this instance...// [In reply to] Can't Post

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

May 3 2013, 3:31pm

Post #14 of 18 (183 views)
Shortcut
Drum roll.................. ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 3 2013, 11:41pm

Post #15 of 18 (144 views)
Shortcut
The Tallest Tower...Has a Light ON... Within? [In reply to] Can't Post

look closely at Cap One?

Wazzt that...
Somebody
Home?

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

May 3 2013, 11:50pm

Post #16 of 18 (128 views)
Shortcut
The low spot of yellow is in an odd place, no window that I can see. [In reply to] Can't Post

Digital screen capture issue?

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4 2013, 3:36am

Post #17 of 18 (115 views)
Shortcut
The question is [In reply to] Can't Post

since this is a completely CG-created landscape, whether the effect was accidental or intended?

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zāram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nāla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dūm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Subaruman
Bree

May 4 2013, 4:59pm

Post #18 of 18 (88 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

and given the detail and subtleties this team puts into every scene, I tend to lean towards the idea that this was intentional.

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.