Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Desolation of Smaug soundtrack

Orc13
Bree

May 2 2013, 1:07pm

Post #1 of 9 (900 views)
Shortcut
The Desolation of Smaug soundtrack Can't Post

I would like to know how The Desolation of Smaug is going to sound like and if howard shore going reused music score for dos dont get me wrong i like the unexpected journey soundtrack i just want to hear something completely different from that of unexpected journey not no reused score.

Shagrat
Gondor

May 2 2013, 1:20pm

Post #2 of 9 (381 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course you'll hear a lot of new material, with all the new locations and characters being introduced, not to mention other developments. But of course you'll hear familiar themes as well - you can't just have Shore introduce new themes in AUJ (Erebor, Thorin, Misty Mountains, Smaug, Wargs and so forth) and then have him just invent entirely new material for DOS. That would be like not hearing Shire or Fellowship themes in TTT.

What I don't want to hear, of course, is anymore tracked LOTR music. This SHOULD in principle be harder to do given the new characters and areas, but who knows what might happen. Of course, new versions of LOTR material in appropriate places are most welcome. A new statement of the Dwarrowdelf theme when they behold the inside of Erebor would be particularly appreciated, if they wanted to change it to a general 'Dwarven Grandeur in Ruin' motif. Shore will probably want to come up with something new, and rightly so, but I love that theme so much and it would be great to hear it around Dwarves once more.

Magpie
Immortal

May 2 2013, 1:47pm

Post #3 of 9 (330 views)
Shortcut
themes? [In reply to] Can't Post

He's always used themes. He will continue to use themes.

Many of us don't consider the use of themes to be 'reused' in the way you are using that term. With very few exceptions, each use of the theme is written for that particular scene and is not one recording used over and over again.

So if you are looking for a movie score with no melodies you've heard before, you will be disappointed.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

May 2 2013, 1:49pm

Post #4 of 9 (341 views)
Shortcut
I don't think any music used in AUJ was tracked in from LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

That word has a particular meaning and, to my knowledge, no music from LOTR was tracked into AUJ.

I wait to be pointed toward *what* cue was tracked if someone wants to provide very specific information.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on May 2 2013, 1:49pm)

Arannir
Valinor

May 2 2013, 2:21pm

Post #5 of 9 (304 views)
Shortcut
It won't something completely new, that is for sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

But there will certainly be themes for
  • Thranduil's Halls / Thranduil
  • maybe Tauriel
  • Beorn /Beorn's House
  • the Spiders
  • some special music for the moment Bilbo looks above the trees
  • Barrel escape
  • Laketown
  • Bard
  • Major (?)
  • Smaug's full theme
  • a theme for the Bilbo/Smaug conversation
  • and more WC / Galadriel / Gandalf / Dol Guldur / Nazgul re-uses and new arrangements

Re-uses will be there but make sense, at least it has usually been like that so far.

The two moments people were confused about in AUJ were
  • "Nazgul-theme" at Thorin's stand (though with different lyrics, not the "We are the Nine..." thing and probably a hint for the later Sauron connection of Azog)
  • "Gondor Reborn" at Bilbo/Thorin hug (have not gotten this one yet, unless this theme is now simply the happy emotional moment tune)

Shagrat
Gondor

May 2 2013, 2:42pm

Post #6 of 9 (294 views)
Shortcut
Are you sure? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen arguments that the music from the Carrock (Master Peregrin's Plan, Fourth Age of Gondor theme) is newly orchestrated, but some of the music in the Gollum's cave sequence and the Breaking of the Fellowship in the Gandalf/Galadriel scene sounds virtually identical to me to corresponding LOTR material, albeit edited differently. I'm happy to be proved wrong, but nevertheless it's still far too similar.

There's a lot of interesting discussion on JWFans about this.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on May 2 2013, 2:43pm)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 3 2013, 1:31am

Post #7 of 9 (167 views)
Shortcut
I know I've said this before [In reply to] Can't Post

But I will keep saying it until it happens: I'm looking forward to the ending theme, and seing who is going to sing. I really want to know who it will be! The suspense is killing me! Are they going to hire another former rocker like Neil Finn? I want to know. Tongue

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

May 3 2013, 4:57am

Post #8 of 9 (131 views)
Shortcut
doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

why would they be so lazy? I doubt it's really more cost effective to drudge out those old tracks and put it into a new system and spend hours re-editing and retweaking.

Again the themes and motifs are being played, but I really doubt they would just crib the tracks from the LOTR trilogy.

but who knows! They definitely didn't mention it in the Hobbit Special Edition OST I own! Crazy

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 4 2013, 10:22am

Post #9 of 9 (91 views)
Shortcut
The only way [In reply to] Can't Post

we're going to hear something completely different for the DOS score would be if Bilbo, Gandalf, the Necromancer, Azog, Thorin, Radagast, the One Ring, Smaug, Thranduil, Erebor, and surely some other persons/places/things too, were completely absent from the movie. That would give an entirely different movie, too. But since that's not going to happen, we're certainly going to hear familiar themes -- all used where appropriate, when appropriate, from an artistic perspective. Shore's music gets us to think (and if it doesn't, we need to open our minds a little more), and he works familiar in with new as he needs to for the story he's telling with the music. I'm looking forward to the new motifs and themes that he'll bring in with DOS, but I'm also very very grateful for the continuity between all the movies.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.