Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is Martin Freeman more enthusiastic of Sherlock series than the Hobbit? And why?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Pimmiko
Bree

May 2 2013, 7:55am

Post #1 of 40 (1822 views)
Shortcut
Is Martin Freeman more enthusiastic of Sherlock series than the Hobbit? And why? Can't Post

MF is filming the third season of the tv series "Sherlock" as we all know. For me it seems a bit odd that he compares the success of the series with the Beatles and says: "The reaction to [the show] has been unlike any I've had to any other job I've done," said Freeman. I mean, it's popular in UK not worldwide! I get the feeling he underestimates his job as Bilbo Baggins and I feel a bit offended by it.
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-04-29/martin-freeman-sherlock-success-is-like-beatlemania#.UYAdn0skeAh.facebook

What do you think?

(This post was edited by Pimmiko on May 2 2013, 7:56am)

Arannir
Valinor

May 2 2013, 8:15am

Post #2 of 40 (982 views)
Shortcut
This is, for me, the kind of fan-hyperbole... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that is really not necessary and helps nobody.

Martin has said several times how much he enjoyes being involved in the Hobbit and has proven himself of being very aware of the responsibility and most people would probably agree that he delivered, so far.

And while Bilbo being a very memorable character with a lot of fans attached, the enormous success of Sherlock and the fan-cult surrounding it - especially in the UK - was totally unexpected. And critically he is absolutely right - there is much more acclaim for Sherlock than AUJ. And while most critics liked his performance, he rarely got raves for Bilbo. Certainly not the raves he got for his performance in Sherlock (although there he is sometimes a bit overshadowed by Crumberbatch who has the more thankful role).

While I am sure he liked playing Bilbo and the whole story attached to it - NZ, the very long shoot, being part of that ensemble etc. - I can see why it is more fullfilling as an actor to do Watson than Bilbo.

Bilbo (neither movie nor book version) isn't the most challenging, deepest or whatever role to play. It is a fun role to do, with some challenges. But there are "bigger" things out there in terms of acting.

If "fans" feel offended by that... well, I think that is sad, really.

Nunilo
Bree

May 2 2013, 8:20am

Post #3 of 40 (852 views)
Shortcut
Reaction [In reply to] Can't Post

When he refers to 'reaction', I think he means that the success of Sherlock was quite surprising. No one thought it would grow to be as huge as it is now, compared to the Hobbit which had big momentum and anticipation building up to it. Sherlock was a sort of 'instant hit', and is indeed extremely popular now with a very large fan base.

That's how I see it and his use of the Beatles analogy.

(This post was edited by Nunilo on May 2 2013, 8:23am)

dormouse
Half-elven

May 2 2013, 8:36am

Post #4 of 40 (838 views)
Shortcut
I think you're look for problems where they don't exist [In reply to] Can't Post

The Radio Times is the house magazine of the BBC and it's about television. So Martin Freeman is asked about a BBC TV series he stars in and he talks about the scale of its success, for a TV series (which is pretty impressive). What's wrong with that? Do you mean that because he is playing Bilbo he mustn't ever invest the same energy and commitment to any other part he plays? He mustn't ever take another part?

He isn't going to mention Bilbo in every interview he gives (when he talks about The Hobbit he doesn't mention Sherlock). That really isn't something for anyone to be offended by and it tells you nothing whatever about his feeling for one job as compared to another.

Pimmiko
Bree

May 2 2013, 9:46am

Post #5 of 40 (858 views)
Shortcut
MF has said himself that Tolkien was never a big part of his world, [In reply to] Can't Post

he liked the LOTR films but didn't read the books. Take Richard Armitage, who already was familiar with them and still did a lot of research and obviously loves to be part of the Hobbit cast. I just feel more connected with him than Martin Freeman. Martin Freeman is very good as Bilbo but maybe he hasn't the same passion as RA.

And I really don't think there is a fan-cult concerning the Sherlock series anywhere else than in the UK. Watson being more challenging than Bilbo Baggins? No way!

Btw. I've been part of the Beatlemania so I know what it was, MF doesn't.

Arannir
Valinor

May 2 2013, 9:54am

Post #6 of 40 (819 views)
Shortcut
He is delivering acting-wise... [In reply to] Can't Post

...anything else really isn't our place to judge (it would be something else if you would have the feeling that his Bilbo lacks an important part of the character).

Especially on the basis of only a few interview quotes. As others have said, he said that in an interview that was related to Sherlock first and foremost. Several actors in LotR had not read the books either and that certainly did not create any "passion" issues. As to Watson vs Bilbo... it is an exercise in futility to discuss it. But is without question that different actors would judge the roles differently and that some might deem Watson more challenging. It is not about a definite judgment on that but that it is very well possible that not everybody would say Bilbo is the more interesting one to do, acting-wise.

Anything else is creating problems where none exist imho.

(This post was edited by Arannir on May 2 2013, 9:56am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 2 2013, 9:57am

Post #7 of 40 (819 views)
Shortcut
Sir Ian McKellen didn't read the books either [In reply to] Can't Post

At least from what I can remember – and didn't seem to be a 'fan' of them, or of fantasy in general, yet he has managed to put in a perfect performance in both LOTR and The Hobbit.

I find it all the more astonishing that Martin Freeman put in such a great and true-to-the-book performance in terms of the character he portrayed, given that he is probably not a great fantasy enthusiast.

Sherlock is certainly incredibly popular in the UK – I don't know about a 'fan cult', since I don't look for such things.

In Reply To
he liked the LOTR films but didn't read the books. Take Richard Armitage, who already was familiar with them and still did a lot of research and obviously loves to be part of the Hobbit cast. I just feel more connected with him than Martin Freeman. Martin Freeman is very good as Bilbo but maybe he hasn't the same passion as RA.

And I really don't think there is a fan-cult concerning the Sherlock series anywhere else than in the UK. Watson being more challenging than Bilbo Baggins? No way!

Btw. I've been part of the Beatlemania so I know what it was, MF doesn't.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2013, 11:06am

Post #8 of 40 (788 views)
Shortcut
It's simply not done... [In reply to] Can't Post

in an interview about one job, to spend one's time raving about a different job. It would be very bad form for him to downplay Sherlock in favor of AUJ (or vice versa) while he's promoting that show. And besides, there's no reason he can't be pleased and amazed with both of them for different reasons, as he seems to be.

This is an article about Sherlock, so he's talking about Sherlock, which is indeed very very popular (it's big in the US as well as the UK). If the article were about The Hobbit, I'm sure he would talk (as he has in the past) about how honored he was to be cast as Bilbo and say nice things about Hobbit fans, for instance the Twitter effort to get Bilbo Baggins voted Best Hero at the MTV awards. He did an excellent job as Bilbo, and has been nothing but appreciative when he talks about it. But Sherlock was the job that propelled him into the spotlight amid raving fans, and it came before The Hobbit, so he's perfectly right to say the reaction has been different to anything else he's done. It has. Bilbo is beloved, but doesn't really attract the screaming fangirls - that's Thorin's department. Wink

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Kaede
Rivendell

May 2 2013, 12:44pm

Post #9 of 40 (679 views)
Shortcut
It's just what he's working on at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not thinking that it's a comment in any way about AUJ or the Hobbit in general. It's pretty normal for an actor to just be totally immersed in whatever their current project is. Actors, writers, artists...my friends is these fields are just so in the moment and all focused on the thing they're doing right now when they have something in progress that past/future projects isn't where their heads are. I think his comment is pretty normal and would encourage not reading too much into it. I take it at face value--the reaction is unlike any other job he's done...well, of course. No two jobs are ever the same. And don't forget he's promo'ing THAT project...so he's there to chat it up in a major way. It's all good...

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 2 2013, 2:02pm

Post #10 of 40 (640 views)
Shortcut
Too right. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bilbo is beloved, but doesn't really attract the screaming fangirls - that's Thorin's department. Wink

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on May 2 2013, 2:02pm)

Jacob

May 2 2013, 2:06pm

Post #11 of 40 (659 views)
Shortcut
Not quite [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I see your point, there is plenty there from an acting stand point to keep any actor occupied if they were humble enough to realize how enormous this character is. It's like an iceberg, there's a lot more underneath the surface!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Arannir
Valinor

May 2 2013, 2:12pm

Post #12 of 40 (642 views)
Shortcut
Once more... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I never said that Bilbo has nothing to offer. I said that there might be roles that some actors might find more pleasing and challenging. Watson MIGHT be one of them.

But that is futility, since MF has said nothing negative about Bilbo anyway. Quite the opposite in LOTS of articles, interviews etc. . He has just said something positive about Watson here.

My only point was, really, that it is hyperbole to start analysing those things or even feel "offended".

(This post was edited by Arannir on May 2 2013, 2:13pm)

Marionette
Rohan

May 2 2013, 2:43pm

Post #13 of 40 (647 views)
Shortcut
I have noticed that. Even with some fans, they seem more interested in Sherlock [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope to see the serie (Sherlock) soon around here.

I haven´t seen it

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 2 2013, 3:02pm

Post #14 of 40 (643 views)
Shortcut
You feel offended [In reply to] Can't Post

because an actor is surprised and pleased with the success of one of his most recognizable roles, in recent years?

Vous commencez ŕ m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Pimmiko
Bree

May 2 2013, 3:31pm

Post #15 of 40 (612 views)
Shortcut
My poor English again [In reply to] Can't Post

"offended" isn't quite what I try to explain. "Disappointed a bit" maybe, as a fan of Tolkien I naturally wish that the actor who plays the crucial role were as exited as I am or would share my enthusiasm and my feelings. But maybe it's because he feels he didn't have as much influence on how to play the role than for example on Watson. Or the partially poor critics.

I totally agree that that possible lack of excitement doesn't have to have any impact on how well the actor plays the role. Martin is a very clever actor and a perfect Bilbo.

Old Toby
Gondor

May 2 2013, 3:36pm

Post #16 of 40 (611 views)
Shortcut
If you get around to watching the Sherlock series [In reply to] Can't Post

you will see why there is so much hype about it, and why MF is so lauded for his role as Watson. In particular, the last episode in Season 2, The Reichenbach Fall, shows MF's incredible acting skills. So I hope you get to see it at some point (they are starting to film Season 3 now, which should air at the end of this year).

BTW I would dispute the OP's comment that Sherlock's fanbase is only in the U.K.!!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

RosieLass
Valinor

May 2 2013, 3:43pm

Post #17 of 40 (585 views)
Shortcut
Also, I don't suppose... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that Sherlock has the kinds of restrictions on what the actors are allowed to say about it that the Hobbit movies have at this point.

As long as he's not saying that working on the Hobbit sucked and he hated every minute of it, I wouldn't worry too much about his reticence.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 2 2013, 5:42pm

Post #18 of 40 (535 views)
Shortcut
Disappointed ok [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would the actor who plays a role in a film adaptation of a book you have happened to have read, feel the same way as you do,about him?

I dont follow the logic.

Most actors dont feel the excitement and the geekness the way fans feel and or express themselves. Most of them think were weird.Tongue

In fact, for myself, i prefer the more toned down, down to earth approach some actors have when dealing with the media and fandoms.

And no, being in love with a book is not a pre requisite for a successfull performance of the character from that world.An actor doesnt even need to read the actual book in order to deliver an accurate performance.

It happens all the time.

By the way, Sherlock is quite famous. I know several people who enjoy the show and i dont live in the UK.

Personally, it didnt grab me much. Unsure

Vous commencez ŕ m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Marionette
Rohan

May 2 2013, 5:43pm

Post #19 of 40 (536 views)
Shortcut
I know [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately that kind of European TV series are very rare here,.. I have only seen here stuff "Robin Hood" (Loved it, I had the chance to see some of this great Richard Armitage work) and some TV productions like the new Treasure Island, Neverland. I have some friends in Argentina and they told me "Sherlock" isn´t there either Mad

I want to see that, and Wallander Unsure ˇOn TV!!

Queen

Ref
Rivendell

May 2 2013, 5:51pm

Post #20 of 40 (550 views)
Shortcut
RE: Pimmiko [In reply to] Can't Post

In regards to Sherlock and it's fanbase, I know that it's big in Germany and the USA as I have friends over there. And Chris Pine (Capt. Kirk) stated that there were masses of fans over in Japan waiting just for Cumberbatch. So it is quite popular with the rest of the world too.

Chris Pine Quote:

“When I went to Japan for Star Trek, the fans were at the airport waiting. But they didn’t scream until Benedict [Cumberbatch] got off the plane. And I was like, f**k man: what about me?”

Laugh

And here's the evidence:~

http://youtu.be/-yaN62jRfWk

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented dark_jackal32

Old Toby
Gondor

May 2 2013, 7:55pm

Post #21 of 40 (484 views)
Shortcut
You can buy both seasons of BBC's Sherlock on Amazon. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although they were aired here (finally) in the U.S. later than they were in the U.K., I bought both DVDs just because they are 'keepers' and I can re-watch them at my leisure.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on May 2 2013, 7:56pm)

Marionette
Rohan

May 2 2013, 8:27pm

Post #22 of 40 (466 views)
Shortcut
Actually that´s a great idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably I can find the DVDs here, I know you can watch it online too (translated). Not all the series are on TV/cable but they are on DVDs

If the serie is already subtitles or dubbed to spanish probably I can find it.

Well, I have a list of DVDs and Blue Ray to buy.

Queen

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 2 2013, 8:28pm

Post #23 of 40 (486 views)
Shortcut
I read the piece you linked to - [In reply to] Can't Post

- and I think Freeman's right.

Marionette
Rohan

May 2 2013, 8:30pm

Post #24 of 40 (484 views)
Shortcut
I really hope he is a proud of the Hobbit as he might be with Sherlock [In reply to] Can't Post

Because for the rest of us Martin Freeman´s biggest role is Bilbo, we love him as Bilbo just like we love the story and the movies.

He does a fantastic job, a he is and will be loved for Bilbo.

Whatever critics said Shocked

Queen

Arannir
Valinor

May 2 2013, 8:57pm

Post #25 of 40 (444 views)
Shortcut
But that is still just you assuming he isn't excited about Bilbo... [In reply to] Can't Post

... judging from a promotion interview for another show.

This simply does not make sense and creates unnecessary fan circle rumours imho.

(This post was edited by Arannir on May 2 2013, 8:57pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.