The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
"Bilbo's been acting a bit odd lately"

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

May 1 2013, 5:09pm

Post #1 of 8 (1009 views)
Shortcut
"Bilbo's been acting a bit odd lately" Can't Post

In FOTR when Frodo is talking with Gandalf he tells Gandalf that he doesn't know what Bilbo is up to "he's taken to locking himself in his study, He spends hours pouring over old maps when he thinks I'm not looking He's up to something" Before The Hobbit came out this would assume that Frodo had no idea that Bilbo was writing a book. at the beginning of the hobbit Frodo is aware Bilbo is writing a book as he walks in on him "it's not ready for reading"

Now it seems to suggest that it was Bilbo going to Rivendell that Frodo had no idea of and rightfully so. the maps may have been so Bilbo could find the best route? what do you guys think?

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

May 1 2013, 6:16pm

Post #2 of 8 (710 views)
Shortcut
Me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always thought that Frodo was -unknowingly- referring to Bilbo leaving the Shire (again).

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Darkstone
Immortal

May 1 2013, 6:18pm

Post #3 of 8 (715 views)
Shortcut
It's the travel part he's keeping secret. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo is also suffering from wanderlust ("I want to see mountains again, mountains Gandalf! And then find somewhere quiet where I can finish my book.") so he's probably consulting the maps make a travel plan for a grand tour of Middle-earth, an intention he wants to keep secret from Frodo as Ereinion Nénharma said. Indeed, as he says when he meets Frodo in Rivendell: "I meant to go back… wander the paths of Mirkwood… visit Laketown… see the Lonely Mountain again. But age it seems, has finally caught up with me." He never got to follow through on the journey part of his plan, but settled down in Rivendell to finish his book.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on May 1 2013, 6:19pm)

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

May 1 2013, 7:44pm

Post #4 of 8 (686 views)
Shortcut
seems obvious now [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been sick the past few days with nothing to do but watch Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit, I've been thinking some pretty crazy things I don't know why I asked lol the answer was obvious the whole time. at least I'm getting better though "sickness of the mind" indeed

(This post was edited by Barrow-Wight on May 1 2013, 7:45pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

May 1 2013, 8:29pm

Post #5 of 8 (645 views)
Shortcut
Get well! / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Loresilme
Valinor

May 2 2013, 1:15pm

Post #6 of 8 (608 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry to hear that [In reply to] Can't Post

The not feeling well part Unsure. Although the 'sitting around watching LOTR and AUJ all day' part sounds kind of fun Wink.

Hope you are all better soon!

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

May 2 2013, 11:41pm

Post #7 of 8 (581 views)
Shortcut
thank you guys [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you guys I'm feeling better today

Luinnár
Rivendell

May 3 2013, 12:35pm

Post #8 of 8 (595 views)
Shortcut
That's good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.