Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
major spoiler and its a fact
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

boldog
Rohan

May 1 2013, 2:32am

Post #1 of 27 (2438 views)
Shortcut
major spoiler and its a fact Can't Post

Okay I'm related to the Aussie supermodel Miranda Kerr. Like 2nd cousins or something. The other day we had a family get together and she was there with none other than Orlando himself. I was dying to learn something so I approached him and talked for a bit. I then asked about legolas in the hobbit. SPOILER ALERT. he told me that he will be leading The elves in the bo5a. Also apparently bard teaches him to use the bow so well. That's what that spoiler pik of him and bard is.
What do u think?
Btw I lied I'm not related but what are ur thoughts on my theory??

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

twmedford23

May 1 2013, 5:54am

Post #2 of 27 (1062 views)
Shortcut
What an epic... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Fail.

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 1 2013, 6:15am

Post #3 of 27 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Intriguing [In reply to] Can't Post

You bring up an interesting point about the extent and breadth of Legolas's role in the next films.
I think it is a plausible theory that Legolas gives Bard a few pointers on the use of the bow. It would
indeed explain why the two are seen together.
Personally, I think the next film, and even the last, will hinge on the role of Legolas.
I love the idea of a Legolas appearance and perhaps a few pertinent lines or actions from him.
Yet, there could indeed exist a pitfall in the use of this character. Any overuse, especially with a beloved
character such as lotr's Legolas, could devastate the film.
I think your theory may indeed be correct. If this is the case, part of me wonders why Legolas needs contact or involvement
with Bard. Any archer worth his weight needs pointers from the superstar Legolas? I am asking rhetorical questions on this hypothesis...
I don't know why worthiness of characters and storylines in the Hobbit necessarily must yield to Lotr characters and plotlines. I think the Hobbit
is worthy to stand on its own and i think there is potential for this in the screen adaptation.

If Legolas must advise Bard, I guess that would be very interesting... But I don't see Legolas at BoFA. Though the Elves and Thranduil are there,
this is not Legolas's fight; as far as i know, there are no mumakil at this battle. It makes sense that he is there, but he will not make an appearance, imo,
as little stuff like this, I would venture a guess, can irreparably topple a story. I don't the character doing much of anything regarding spiders, bard, or battle. I
can see him making an appearance and saying a pertinent line or two and thats it! Then again, I am not the creative genius behind the story's vision, and certainly
the creative team has proven itself time and again Evil. That said, I wonder if any of you experience a little consternation that because a character makes a special appearance,
that every last drop will be squeezed out of it. They will give the role something to do because the role makes an appearance, and it becomes a perpetual cyle Laugh.
I am very interested to hear what you think on the matter.

Azaghâl
Lorien

May 1 2013, 6:22am

Post #4 of 27 (824 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

I never bought it.

As to your actual contribution: No and no.
Legolas is a much more experienced archer than Bard, he is presumably over a thousand years old at this time.
I'm pretty sure Thranduil will be present at Bo5A so he would naturally lead them, just as the source material states.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Defiant
Bree

May 1 2013, 7:25am

Post #5 of 27 (831 views)
Shortcut
I think Orlando was pulling your leg. Time will tell ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see Orlando Bloom letting slip stuff like that. It sounds to me like he was having some fun and spinning a bogus rumour. I guess we'll know by this Christmas or next.

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 1 2013, 7:43am

Post #6 of 27 (804 views)
Shortcut
That would be a very bad idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil should lead the Elves at the BoFA, not Legolas, who should play a minor role in the films (if he must be in them).

In Reply To
he told me that he will be leading The elves in the bo5a.

Angharad73
Rohan

May 1 2013, 7:50am

Post #7 of 27 (759 views)
Shortcut
Good points! [In reply to] Can't Post

You raise some very good points there, and I quite agree with you. I really like the fact that Legolas will be included in the next two movies, but I hope that he will be used in moderation. This is not his story. He belongs in LOTR, and while it makes sense, in a way, to have him in the Hobbit movies, he should only have a very minor role. Giving him any big plotline would only detract from the story itself.

As for Bard's interaction with Legolas, I hope neither will give each other 'lessons'. That would be weird. But I could see the two of the having something in common, maybe, and perhaps exchanging information or something similar.

Legolas can be at Bo5A, no problem, but again not in a major role. He can be at Thranduil's side, okay, but Thranduil still has to be the leader of the Elves and play the part he had in the book. If any of this were to be given to Legolas, this would be a major fail.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 1 2013, 8:17am

Post #8 of 27 (876 views)
Shortcut
This must be the most misleading post I've ever read ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas won't teach Bard how to use the Bow. Legolas will have a larger role in the next to films though, and he may well lead a portion of the Elven army.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

May 1 2013, 4:01pm

Post #9 of 27 (553 views)
Shortcut
OP said Bard teaches Leggie, not the other way round // [In reply to] Can't Post

sam90
Lorien

May 1 2013, 7:11pm

Post #10 of 27 (480 views)
Shortcut
No thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can perhaps see Legolas leading the Elves army by his father sides like a son and a prince may do but Legolas alone and no Thranduil on the formost? Not at all! Thranduil is the king of the Wood-elves and it is a great character, the kind of whom would be in the front line leading the assault!

As for Bard teaching Legolas how to use a bow? Such a nonsens! Can't they be two great bowmen unrelated in Middle-Earth? Sure enough! It is said in The Hobbit that Wood-Elves can pierce a bird's eye with an arrow. I think it's fair to say that they know how to use a bow. It is only logical to think that some, such as Legolas, are among the best of their folks. That is all.

(This post was edited by sam90 on May 1 2013, 7:18pm)

Marionette
Rohan

May 1 2013, 7:54pm

Post #11 of 27 (460 views)
Shortcut
Scary but I believe it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Dis15
Bree

May 1 2013, 9:31pm

Post #12 of 27 (457 views)
Shortcut
This is King Thranduil's moment, not Legolas'. [In reply to] Can't Post

To imagine Legolas leading this army just makes me feel slightly queasy. Just don't feel right. Guest appearances only. And your right, I do not think Orlando Bloom would be allowed to give away a major plot line like that. In the 2nd CD of the SE, they only showed one shot of a set made for Hobbit 2. The other sets or models were smudged out, very secretive. And even Legolas could not teach Bard enough about that bow to slay Smaug. Bard is a talented bowman in his own right, but that was a one shot deal and the fact that it hit its mark at all was border-line miraculous. Maybe he read "Zen and the art of hitting a moving 4-inch target from 100 feet" before going out.

Defiant
Bree

May 1 2013, 9:32pm

Post #13 of 27 (428 views)
Shortcut
I'm calling red herring. [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

May 1 2013, 9:45pm

Post #14 of 27 (428 views)
Shortcut
And in the AUJ-EE... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Bilbo will teach Gollum to suck eggs.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

cats16
Tol Eressea

May 1 2013, 9:54pm

Post #15 of 27 (431 views)
Shortcut
I would say that... [In reply to] Can't Post

it would be interesting to see Thranduil put down Legolas in some way (hopefully not too similar to Denethor and Faramir) in a way that Legolas wants to prove himself to his father. He could prove himself by going to the Council of Elrond and representing his people. His heroism on the quest would mean that much more for us in subsequent viewings of LOTR. He has something to prove, mainly to himself.

The moment in particular that gave me this idea is when Legolas sees the Múmak charging towards him. The look on his face is that of a man (or elf in this case) seeing his chance to prove himself against an enormous foe. His eyes widen, and he charges heroically. I know many people here do not like this particular moment, but for me this was one of my favorite moments in the "action sequences", and it ranks pretty high on my favorite overall moments of the entire trilogy. And if they (PJ & Co.) were to give his character a little more background to it, while focusing on developing Thranduil's character, I would be delighted.

The relationship between Legolas and Thranduil is something I always wanted to see come to life. I know it takes away from the main narrative of Bilbo and the Company, but I think that the appearance of the Elves (hopefully they keep Thranduil at the BoFA, and who knows if Legolas will be there. I would guess so.) later on should warrant some of this dynamic being shown.

There are so many things that everyone wants to be included, but, as we were shown with LOTR, not everything can be there. So I guess I would hope something like what I mentioned above can, at the least, make it into an EE.

(This post was edited by cats16 on May 1 2013, 9:55pm)

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 1 2013, 10:45pm

Post #16 of 27 (439 views)
Shortcut
Legolas and Thranduil Dynamic [In reply to] Can't Post

This is interesting. Yet I agree with your analysis that this potentially moves to far away from the Hobbit narrative.
Legolas and Thranduil may have a bit of a storyline, but, rhetorically speaking, what difference does it make? It doesn't really
go anywhere, and if it does, it goes somewhere in the lotr trilogy.
If a supplementing plotline does not contribute to, or fulfill itself in, the original narrative, then i think they'll just leave it be
and move over it.

I think they'll proceed with the narrative by not asking what a story can get away with, but, instead, by asking what is indispensible to the
advancement of the Hobbit narrative, while discarding what hinders it. I personally think this will play into the final cuts of DoS and TaBa
and I applaud them for it.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 2 2013, 12:54am

Post #17 of 27 (367 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Legolas, but this is Thranduil's moment. He was in the novel after all, and was present in the battle. There is no reason why they should take him out and replace him with his son. That would be a bad move, and makes me feel queasy thinking about it. I want to see Thranduil. I've been looking forward to seeing his roles played out.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 2 2013, 12:55am

Post #18 of 27 (342 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Moahunter
Rohan

May 2 2013, 1:16am

Post #19 of 27 (348 views)
Shortcut
Did you read the whole of the OP? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Btw I lied I'm not related but what are ur thoughts on my theory??"

cats16
Tol Eressea

May 2 2013, 3:22am

Post #20 of 27 (316 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why I love looking at the LOTR EEs versus the TEs. To me, the TEs are incredibly concise and do not even hint at including material that doesn't act to advance the narrative. And that's why, although as a fan I love seeing the content in EEs, I tend to only watch the TEs. The story just has such an amazing flow to it. And as you said, they discarded many extra scenes that really seem to hinder the advancement of the narrative. So much of the Merry and Pippin moments in TT just don't serve the rest of the film justice, as they really serve no other function than developing the supporting characters. But, with so much happening, I think we received enough of them in earlier parts of the theatrical cut.

As a Tolkien fan I always want to see more material come to life, but I know, being a filmmaker myself, how one must always consider the main objective of the story and how each moment works to move the characters along and advance the narrative.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

May 2 2013, 8:53am

Post #21 of 27 (282 views)
Shortcut
In my opinion, [In reply to] Can't Post

the EE's, especially for FotR, is the better movies, both for additional Tolkien material and narrative!

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

cats16
Tol Eressea

May 2 2013, 3:24pm

Post #22 of 27 (228 views)
Shortcut
I'll admit that... [In reply to] Can't Post

of the EEs, I like FOTR the most Smile

Dis15
Bree

May 2 2013, 8:31pm

Post #23 of 27 (209 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is time for Lee Pace [In reply to] Can't Post

to show his quality.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 3 2013, 3:45am

Post #24 of 27 (168 views)
Shortcut
the FOTR and TTT EE's are superior to the TE's [In reply to] Can't Post

the ROTK EE i will grant u is just way too bloated, although i still watch the EE every time.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

May 3 2013, 2:13pm

Post #25 of 27 (137 views)
Shortcut
I prefer all of the EEs as well, [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the ROTK EE i will grant you is just way too bloated, although i still watch the EE every time.

...even the RotK EE, except for the Peter Jackson cameo scene on the Corsairs. It's waaay too over the top and jokey and just plain bad, just when the the drama is really starting to build. It's the only scene in all of the films that i think definitely should have been left on the proverbial cutting room floor. It's actually kind of embarassing to watch.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on May 3 2013, 2:14pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.